• ...TWO BITS!

Six Flags questions

These are questions I've been wondering about. I'm not very familar with Six Flags, WB Movie World, and Paramount parks:

What exactly is Six Flags history that lead up to the company putting these parks up for sale?

What if WB's "Movie World" purchased Six Flags Magic Mountain? How would you feel about that? I guess WB & Six Flags had a contract before so they could put WB characters in the park. So some of the themeing is all ready there. Or did WB own Six Flags?

I know Paramount has a theme park unit, but I think they also went up for sale. And I think there's a Paramount park in Northern California, anyways.

Did Paramount allow Disney to make the Indy ride because they felt Disney would do more justice? Or was it because George Lucas had the rights to the film?

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Re: Six Flags questions

I can't answer your entire question, but i'll take a crack at part of it.
    I know that SF has a contract to use the WB characters, and theming throughout there parks. Everything that we do that relates to WB, at least at MM, needs to be approved by the WB company, everything from theming, to how the name is used, shows and parades, and even clearing the people who portray the justice leauge characters.
    Before SF bought MM, the characters were bleep, blop, bloop, and the Wizard. After SF took over, they needed new characters, so the WB was consulted.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I believe Six Flags was at one point owned by Time Warner. The parks were then bought by Premier Parks, who eventually became today's Six Flags, which si seperate from the original Six Flags company. The WB Movie World park were sold ebcause the company had hit the bottom. They expanded too quickly and could not afford all of their parks.

Also, I have seen some discussions and what not that suggests that the current Six Flags does not wholly own the original parks: Over Texas, Over Georgia, and Over Mid-America (now St. Louis).

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Magic Mountain was originally built by a 50/50 deal between SeaWorld and the Newhall Land Company. Construction started in 1969, and the Park opened in May of 1971.

For the 1971 season, Magic Mountain did get a license from Warner Bros. to use the Looney Tunes Characters.

The contract was not renewed, and Magic Mountain invented their own characters, the three trolls (Bleep, Bloop and King Troll) and a Wizard. They remained thru 1984.

Six Flags bought the park in 1979. Six Flags had many owners over the years (they started in 1961), the Last owner was Time Warner.

Premier Parks bought Six Flags from Time Warner in 1998, then changed their company name from Premier to Six Flags in 2000.

As part of the deal with Premier, Time Warner signed a long term licensing agreement to allow Six Flags to use the WB characters.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Circle of Ancients

Six Flags Started in 1961 with Six Flags Over Texas. It was called "Six Flags" because of the six different flags that have flown over the state of Texas. US Flag, TX State Flag, Confederate Flag, Mexican Flag, French Flag, Spanish Flag.

The Second Six Flags park "Six Flags Over Georgia" opened in 1967 followed by Six Flags Mid-America (not Six Flags St. Louis) in 1971.

Over the next few years they get into "buying" mode and buy Astroworld (Houston - 1975), Great Adventure (Jackson, NJ - 1977), Magic Mountain (Los Angeles - 1979) and Mariotts Great America (Gurnee, IL - 1984).

They also had a few failures during this time frame Six Flags Power Plant (Baltimore) and Six Flags Autoworld (Detroit). Autoworld closes after 1 year and Power Plant closes in 4.

It wasn't until 1984 that they signed an agreement to use Looney Tunes characters in their parks. This wasn't a purchase by Warner Bros., Six Flags simply licensed the characters.

It wasn't until 1993 that Time Warner fully purchased Six Flags.

Time Warner sells most of it's stake in Six Flags in 1995 to Premier Parks.

This is where they go crazy ...

In 1995 they purchase Funtime Parks, Inc which includes Darien Lake (Six Flags Darien Lake - Lake George, NY), Wyandot Lake and Geagua Lake. They also purchase Fiesta Texas (San Antonio), Elitch Gardens (Denver), Waterworld USA and Great Escape ALL in 1996.

In 1997 they purchase Riverside Amusement Park (Six Flags New England - Springfield, MA), Kentucky Kingdom (Lousiville), and sign a 10 year deal to manage Marine World (Vallejo, CA).

In 1998 they purchase the Walibi parks in Europe.

In 2000 they purchase Enchanted Village and Wild Waves (Seattle). In 2001 they purchase Sea World Ohio (Six Flags World of Adventure) and in 2002 they purchase Jazzland (Six Flags New Orleans).

2004 they sell Six Flags World of Adventure (Sea World Ohio) and all of the europe properties.

2005 Six Flags is purchased by Red Zone, LLC. Daniel Snyder becomes the new CEO. Six Flags Astroworld also closes it's gates.

So quite honestly, Six Flags has really only built 3 parks from scratch (Six Flags Over TX, Six Flags Mid-America and Six Flags Over Georgia). The rest of been acquired from other sources.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11

I know Paramount has a theme park unit, but I think they also went up for sale. And I think there's a Paramount park in Northern California, anyways.

Did Paramount allow Disney to make the Indy ride because they felt Disney would do more justice? Or was it because George Lucas had the rights to the film?
    They are up for sale, but no one is buying.

No Lucas owns the rights to his movies, he just gets studios to release them for him. He and Disney worked out an agreement. Paramount had no say.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    followed by Six Flags Mid-America (not Six Flags St. Louis)
    In 1996 Six Flags Mid-America was renamed Six Flags St. Louis. They are the same park.

Also, in 1999 Six Flags bought White Water Atlanta and American Adventures from Herschend, following the summer 1998 E. coli outbreak.

• ...TWO BITS!

Wow, what a crazy history. THANKS EVERYBODY!!

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    In 1996 Six Flags Mid-America was renamed Six Flags St. Louis. They are the same park.

Also, in 1999 Six Flags bought White Water Atlanta and American Adventures from Herschend, following the summer 1998 E. coli outbreak.
    My bad ... don't know why I put that NOT in. I know they are the same park.

• Why do you keep talking?

There is a Paramount up in Northern California (the smallest and "crappiest" of the bunch) that was the second Marriott's Great America (as in other, no clue which one was built first) The other going to Six Flags. Paramount has said the parks are not for sale, but if an offer was good enough then they would sell, and I guess none are good enough so far.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    My bad ... don't know why I put that NOT in. I know they are the same park.
    I did it in my first post too.

Both Marriott's Great America opened on 29 May 1976. CBS has placed the Paramount's park chain up for sale. This would make CBS the only one of the big three to not have a theme park chain in the company.

http://www.richmond.com/business/out...r=1&position=1
    http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4268913&EDATE=

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Six Flags Autoworld (Detroit). Autoworld closes after 1 year
    I was one of the 10 people that went to Autoworld. It was... different.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

/\ Describe.