Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

5/13 Six Flags Trip Report - Tatsu Praise - Sky Tower reopens - Line Trashcans Needed

Wow, first I must say that this visit was infinitely better than my last. Even though it was five times more crowded that day. Things were really humming. But we, my friends and I, expected it to be busy, and we didn't care.

Of course the first and foremost reason for our visit was Tatsu! As expected, the crowd at the main gate were like-minded. The announcer dude was William this time - he was pretty cool, he asked the crowd trivia questions about Six Flags roller coasters and the park itself. Praise to him for not going on about the park's eateries and not faking an Austrian accent. He reminded guests more than once that Tatsu would be open for their enjoyment all day long and encouraged us to pick a different first destination.

But did we listen?

No!!!

Incidentally, we ran into him again while we were in line for Tatsu, and he asked us more trivia and handed out tattoos and SFMM wristbands. I bet if he knew I called his job lousy three weeks ago, he'd have socked me one in the face. Heh heh.

Anyway, we bolted across the park like everyone else to the entrance to Tatsu. Almost immediately the line extended out the door and wrapped down the path underneath the Arrowhead Splashdown boats. We could watch the flying coaster trains overhead - man, those trains look cool.

I wish I could say the same about the ground cover. Ok, you know that synthetic fluffy-ish insulation padding that goes inbetween walls? Or the lint that comes out of driers? Now imagine that stuff a sick turquoise color, and spread it over a dirt hill. Basically that's what was done with the land surrounding Tatsu, over tree trunk stubs, roots and all. At places you could see this thick, rope-ish mesh. It looked...very unnatural. I almost like dirt better. At least it looks real.

Ok, there are plants and trees as you approach the ride itself. I'll give them credit for that.

The line needs trash cans in the line. Six Flags is just asking for trash to be lined up on walls and thrown every which place because they put (freakin') food stands at the beginning of the queue! Tatsu is already getting trashed. I held onto a handrail and touched gum, and I got so mad I pulled a piece of paper out of my wallet and scraped it off. Can we at least keep it looking nice for one day??

The ride itself was incredibly unique, smooth, and just plain fantastic. When the trains folded up into flight position, everybody started screaming right from the station! Flying rollercoasters are still a novelty, and this part of America had not seen a flying machine like this until Tatsu.

Now. Remember when I complained in my last trip report about hindered ride capacity? Let's just say Tatsu made me very, very happy. Three trains running! Two branch-off loading spots in the station! Behold, efficiency!

Let's do the math, shall we?

3 trains X 8 rows per train X 4 seats per row = 96 riders at any given time, max.

Ride time is about 3 minutes. The fact that there is two trains loading and unloading in the station at the same time means trains are dispatched so there is always one train on the tracks. I estimate the full cycle time to be between 5-6 minutes. That means every train makes 10-12 cycles in an hour. Or,
    96 X 10 (or 12) = between 960 to 1152 riders per hour.

Not bad for Six Flags! Throughout the day Tatsu was handling a massive crowd, and yet the wait time was not much longer than an hour.

Compare that to the Revolution down below Tatsu, which has reopened again, yet curiously it is only halfway through its paint job. It was operating with just one train. Let's do the math again, no?

1 train X 10 rows per train X 2 seats per row = 20 riders at any given time, max.

Ride time is about 2 minutes, plus, oh, I'd say, another 2 for unload/load, so that's 4 minutes total cycle time or 15 cycles in an hour.
    20 X 15 = 300 riders per hour.

And that's assuming every seat is filled, which is almost never the case. The Revolution had a completely unnecessarily long line, all because, again, only one train was in operation, on a very busy Saturday, and more than 20 people in a 4-minute period came to ride it. If just one more train was on the line, it would bring it up to 600. Oh well I guess. Other rides that visit were as follows:

X: 2 trains thank God, but still not fast enough
    Viper: 2 trains, good
    Ninja: 2 tains, good
    Gold Rusher: 2 trains, and it actually needed it too
    Psyclone: 1 train far as I could tell, but everyone hates the ride including me, and anyways we saw a train didn't make it up a hill and rocked back and forth for five minutes and the ride closed for half the day, haha
    Riddler: 2 trains
    Batman: 1 train, horrendous line
    Scream: 1 train I think, line extended out
    Colossus: at least 2 trains, both sides running!
    Goliath: 2 trains, still overflowing past the giant letters
    Superman: 1 train, one track. Yeah.

Deja Vu was finally open (my ongoing joke is that every time I go to Six Flags, it feels like I've never ridden it before), so we finally got to ride it. Best part is the vertical towers.

I was surprised and pleased to see elevators going up the Sky Tower, so we went up to the top and.. wow, what a view! We stayed up there for a long time on two occasions when we had nothing better to do, just looking at all the peeps. It's about time Six Flags opened up its Sky Tower! There were very few people inside it; maybe no one expected it to be open either. It's not like you can miss a 400-foot red-orange tower.

The elevator operator told me about Flashback reopening in a month's time, but like it's been said in a different thread, the coaster does not operate when SFHH is open because FB makes too much (freakin') noise. You know that they probably don't know anything more than you do, but one can only hope...

Oh, and I bought a Tatsu shirt for 10 bucks (not bad!) and, well...

The T-shirt speaks for itself.
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 05-14-2006 at 09:11 PM.

• Senior Minion

Re: 5/13 Six Flags Trip Report - Tatsu Praise - Sky Tower reopens - Line Trashcans Needed

Amazing ride report. Really great to see the efficency of the Tatsu ride is working so well.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• The Twilight Zone

Re: 5/13 Six Flags Trip Report - Tatsu Praise - Sky Tower reopens - Line Trashcans Needed

there was only an hour wait for tatsu on a sat.
    my schools going june 2nd which is a fri. do you think it will be busy then?

• Closed Account

Great TR! Any photos?
    Now...if you were listening carefully you would remember that William said the sky tower was 384 feet...(although I am aware you were being general).
    Completly agree about the trash cans for the line. I will mention it to the PSA Dept.
    Revolution was a disaster for me as well. I 100% support a single rider line for ever attraction. I actually got nausiated on Rev. It seems as if they spent all their attn. on Tatsu, and only got rev. back up as quickly as possible for the media day.

Correction about Flashback:
    According to a few of the ride Sups. (Tyler, and James), FREEFALL will be reopening by the end of the month. James said that it would cost 500,000 to reopen, and very few people would enjoy it.

Was having William in the Tatsu queue effective? The objective was to try to break up the wait a bit for the guests. Did you run into any ninjas?

Once again, I am glad you had a great trip!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

great, great report!! i can't wait to ride it, the boyfriend and i just got Play Passes but we haven't used them yet...looks like we had good timing!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR
    Arrowhead Splashdown boats.
    but what are these splashdown boats you speak of?! did they re-name the Log Jammer or Jet Stream? i haven't been to Magic Mountain in SO long....

• Why do you keep talking?

They changed Jet Stream to Arrowhead Splashdown a few years ago, but Shaprio and Co. changed them back (they are now Jet Stream... again...) Which reminds me, have they fixed Log Jammer since the bull dozer fell into the flume a while back?

Can't wait to FINALLY get out there and have a ride myself, probably sometime far from now though.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Closed Account

Yes, they fixed log jammer.

• Rock Star Minion

I wish I could say the same about the ground cover. Ok, you know that synthetic fluffy-ish insulation padding that goes inbetween walls? Or the lint that comes out of driers? Now imagine that stuff a sick turquoise color, and spread it over a dirt hill. Basically that's what was done with the land surrounding Tatsu, over tree trunk stubs, roots and all. At places you could see this thick, rope-ish mesh. It looked...very unnatural. I almost like dirt better. At least it looks real.
    I might be mistaken, but that is sounds exactly like what was put down after the last two big fires in the Simi area. Whatever is in that cover will grow and, I think, be more fire-resistant.
    In the meantime, it will look a little unusual.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

^ Correct.

It will grow grass ... it will just take awhile.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I wish I could say the same about the ground cover. Ok, you know that synthetic fluffy-ish insulation padding that goes inbetween walls? Or the lint that comes out of driers?
    That stuff covers the ground to get plant life growing faster.

Can we at least keep it looking nice for one day??
    Welcome to Six Flags.

The ride itself was incredibly unique, smooth, and just plain fantastic. When the trains folded up into flight position, everybody started screaming right from the station! Flying rollercoasters are still a novelty, and this part of America had not seen a flying machine like this until Tatsu.
    Really? There are no other flyers on that coast once Stealth was moved?

Let's just say Tatsu made me very, very happy. Three trains running! Two branch-off loading spots in the station! Behold, efficiency!
    Now the true test...will it stay that way?

Batman: 1 train, horrendous line
    Scream: 1 train I think, line extended out
    Wow. B&Ms run multiple trains so easily that there is no excuse to not have more than 1 going at a time.
    Though if Batman is like SFoG's it is skippable...

Deja Vu was finally open (my ongoing joke is that every time I go to Six Flags, it feels like I've never ridden it before), so we finally got to ride it. Best part is the vertical towers.
    Yeah, not a winning coaster right there...but it looks so friggin cool!

Great report!

• Banned User

B&Ms are at least designed to run at least 2 trains efficiently.. (Kraken at SWO is short but can do it..)(Busch runs 2 trains every day when they can on their B&Ms and only have one in early morning and near closing...)

Six Flags needs to budget this park correctly.. and use what they have efficiently.. and you might not have so many problems with people complaining and getting violent..
    -runs-

• Minion

Re: 5/13 Six Flags Trip Report - Tatsu Praise - Sky Tower reopens - Line Trashcans Ne

Quote Originally Posted by wrs28220
    Was having William in the Tatsu queue effective?
    I thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by wrs28220
    Did you run into any ninjas?
    Er, yes, as a matter of fact. So, why weren't they hanging out over by Ninja?

Yeah yeah yeah, Tatsu is new, I know I know, so why weren't there any dragons?

• Minion

Re: 5/13 Six Flags Trip Report - Tatsu Praise - Sky Tower reopens - Line Trashcans Ne

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Really? There are no other flyers on that coast once Stealth was moved?

I lied, this isn't the first flying coaster to see CA *shuffles notes*

Stealth, first flying coaster in the world, was built in San Francisco, Paramount's Great America in 2000. In 2003 it was moved to Paramount's Carowinds in North Carolina. That makes Tatsu the only flying coaster currently on the west coast.

But in any case, Tatsu is still a unique experience as few of this type of coaster exist in the world, which was my point in the first place. Also it has a unique layout (unlike, say, oh...Batman?).

• Circle of Ancients

Also Stealth was a Vekoma flying coaster and Tatsu is a B&M.

They are MUCH different.

For example ... on Stealth you went up the lift hill backwards and on your back. You didn't flip to the flying position until the first drop. On Tatsu you are raised in the flying position in the station.

The only other closest flying coaster is in Colorado which is a Zamperla and is supposedly not good at all.

After that you have to get to Chicago before you find another flyer.

So yes ... Tatsu is indeed an unique experience on the west coast.

• What, where am i?

Anyway, we bolted across the park like everyone else to the entrance to Tatsu. Almost immediately the line extended out the door and wrapped down the path underneath the Arrowhead Splashdown boats. We could watch the flying coaster trains overhead - man, those trains look cool.
    How long was your wait time for Tatsu. The trains that you saw at the very begining of the day, one of those cars had me on it. i was on First row of the firth car of my side. I had a 45min wait!
    If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade. Then find someone who's life has given them vodka and have a party.

I look at you and I see 2 men. The man you are and the man you ought to be. One day those 2 will meet and should make for one hell of a football player!

If this is torture, chain me to the wall

Are you there God? It's me Jesus.

Locke and Jack are to busy worrying about Locke and Jack.

The best kind of Prize is a surprise! Hehehe

The sun never sets on the Disney Empire.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast