Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Six Flags seeks buyers for Magic Mountain

Bring back the trolls!

j/k... (no I'm not)

Magic Mtn has been "overrun w/gangs" IMHO since the late 80s/early 90s. There doesn't have to be a "gang war" incident to make people think that way and not want to go there... there just needs to be gang members present to make ppl uncomfortable. It only takes one or two cold stares or rude comments from someone with a tattooed throat to make people not want to bring their families there.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Circle of Ancients

^ Exactly.

It's not any active gang violence per-se, it's the presence of "Gang-type" people that turn families away.

And unfortunately it will take ALOT to change that perception (and the reality) of that.

• C4C6C

I think it rather quick that he is giving up on SFMM. Cleaning up bathrooms and having characters roam the park is not enough to bring me back.

There is the overall perception that there is a gang problem. This is not a debate as to whether there is one or not. It is just people's perception of it. Some people are insistent that there isn't one because there is only one incident that anybody may have known about in the last year. But if many perceive there to be one, than that is something that needs to be changed. I don't think there is a gang problem, but the large portion of people entering the park look like gang members, which in turn, gives the impression that there is one.

I would hope that Shapiro would give more time to ending the "bring a Coke can and get in free" days, and bringing the quality of rides to a more family friendly level. I have 3 kids (7,4,1). What is there really for me to do there with them besides the kids land which takes only about 2 hours tops to do. And even then, I have to watch out for the Jr. ^gangsters^ in that area.

I for one would love to see SFMM returned to its original state from the 70s and 80s before it became roller coaster mountain, tragic mountain, and all the other names it has. Great pics of the park from those days can be seen at www.themeparkmemories.com.

Sirclinksalot, I agree with your posting. It is the wannabe gangmembers that are ruining the park. ALso, take out some rollercoasters, especially the ones that have the least guest per hour ratio (X, Dejavu, etc) and ones that are never open. Here is a concept for SFMM: a dark ride!!!!!

• Circle of Ancients

^ Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Minion

"Magic Mountain attracts 2.5 million to 3 million guests a year and is considered a profitable property, said John Cora, a theme park consultant and CEO of Palace Entertainment, which owns Raging Waters in San Dimas and the Boomer's chain of family entertainment centers.

"With a little TLC and investment, it would be a great park and a great revenue producer," Cora said.

Potential bidders could include private equity investors such as Blackstone Group, which owns the four Legoland properties and has a stake in the Universal Studios theme parks, Cora said."

This is a quote from the LA Times article that I posted a link to earlier.

Many of you might not know but John Cora whose quote I posted above is a retired executive from the "old guard" at Disneyland. Believe he was at the opening of the park and was still there in the late '90s. His office was located behind City Hall where I used to meet with him.

• Banned User

What i recommend is Disney should buy six flags and have its own "Disney" rollercoaster park and clean it up!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    Shapiro is right ... SFMM has become a hang-out for teens that don't spend money. Do I think they should just get rid of the park??? NO WAY.
    Again this is in the face of the Six Flags Marketing strategy...

IF MM is a teen hang out, and the goal is for the parks nationally to be more family friendly... Shapiro is having a problem nationalizing the marketing strategy and price structure with the economic... This is inturn takeing a bight into the profitablity of the park...

1 - Remove some coastes. That's right. I'm a coaster enthusiast and I LOVE coasters ... but less coasters means less teens.
    I have noticed that they have been doing this at MW... I watched them dismantle a coaster... I don't think it is THAT big of a loss, because I never see the park's coasters at capacity at MW...

It cuts opperating cost...

2. With the space they save from taking out those rides put in some family rides. They don't have to be high dollar rides, just more rides that families can ride TOGETHER.
    Part of the problem is coming up with the budget to do this because the company is in too much debt...

3. SFMM is Six Flags ONLY year-round park. The other parks are all seasonal. That means that from November to March or April SFMM is their ONLY source of income.
    Most of the parks are switching to a year-round (Weekend Only) operation offering unique Winter like attractions...

4. Regarding what park chains could/would/should buy SFMM.
    It would be interesting to see if Palace Entertianment will take the leap...
    Check out my other blog:

• Circle of Ancients

^ While they do have some properties in the area I'm just not sure they have the capitol to buy the park AND maintain it.

It would be interesting though because they could move some of the coasters to Castle or other area parks and expand that way.

• Banned User

Hmm.. Busch entertainment as a buyer.. (Not bad idea.. then trade some coasters away.. lol and you could get a dive machine...) I doubt they will buy it.. and remarket it as Busch Gardens ________… Maybe it’s just something to see if people are interested… I mean how hard is it to fix the park’s problems??

• Circle of Ancients

^ I think if Busch (or anybody) would buy it they would keep the Magic Mountain name. Although it's rep in the last few years hasn't been great it still has name recognition.

Just getting that "Six Flags" out of the name will help I think.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    ^ While they do have some properties in the area I'm just not sure they have the capitol to buy the park AND maintain it.

It would be interesting though because they could move some of the coasters to Castle or other area parks and expand that way.
    I can see them snatching up the Waterworld USA parks in Sacramento and Concord without much greef... I would not be surprised to see them on the prospective buyers list...
    Check out my other blog:

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior
    Another corporate entity that could revitalize the park is General Electric - owner of Universal Studios.
    Except that GE is doing nothing for the parks it already owns. Why do we need them to buy another park and have attendance stagnate there too?

So I found this to be a shock.
    Six Flags Darien Lake (outside Buffalo, NY), Six Flags Waterworld (Concord, CA), Six Flags Elitch Gardens (Denver, CO), Wild Waves & Enchanted Village (outside Seattle, WA), Six Flags Splashtown (Houston, TX) and Six Flags Magic Mountain & Hurricane Harbor (north Los Angeles, CA).
    I mean the waterworlds and Enchanted Village I can see wanting to sell. Even Elitch Gardens.
    But Darien Lake? I mean there really is nothing else anywhere near Buffalo...they have a full hold on that market!

But SFMM was the most shocking of all. Just...flooring. Thier one full year park and thier one time flagship...shocking. I can't imagine they'd rather just sell it than clean it up. I mean, it is one thing to reduce debt...it is another to just sell off way too many parks at once. I mean wasn't this the kind of crap that got Synder's shareholder revolt to work against Kent Burke?

• Closed Account

So, I called a friend who is working in the park as we speak. Apparently, the rumor amongst employees, but obviously not true, is that we may be merging w/ Universal. It is funny to see that us on the outside are more in tune to what is actually going on. The employees see several news channels in the park, and start assuming certain things. Quite funny. I'm going in later today, so I'll see what other thing people may say we are "merging with". ...ha, ha, ha.

• Circle of Ancients

Universal ... LMAO!!!!

I think there is more a chance of Disney buying the park than Universal.

• Closed Account

If it does get bulldozed, I see a very viscous cycle:

1. The pubic will swarm the park, trying to get on their last few rides on all the coasters. = Massive waits, possible extra price inflation in the park.

2. People will stop comming to the park looking for jobs. & Regular employees will start leaving, looking for jobs elsewhere. = There is nobody to fill the positions of the current employees and we are in a downward spiral.

3. Employee morale will go down, and the park turns into an even bigger sesspool. = The last impression many people will have about the park is a negative one. Which is frankly depressing.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast