Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Re: Six Flags seeks buyers for Magic Mountain

That would be interesting Disney purchasing MM. Could re-theme it to fit a possible Villian's Park? LOL

• Circle of Ancients

Speaking of a possible Disney take-over of the park ...

This picture was recently taken at SIX FLAGS Great Adventure

^One less store for Disney to rework, if they bought it.

Disney could buy it. No doubt about it. They could by all the parks for sale, with their "petty cash". They could do it, but it's like a piece of rotten meat. Partake in it, and you may get a disease.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

WOW! That's weird! That's actually in the park itself??? Sheesh...I went there once when I was a couple years old. Don't remember the place at all!

• Rock Star Minion

Perhaps it has been tried and has failed, but couldn't the teens be controlled a little more effectively?
    Or do raging hormones and rollercoasters simply not mix?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Vehicle rotating backward

Half of me wants to see Colossus moved somewhere for sentimental reasons, but the other half knows that there's really nothing special about it that deserves saving.

The rest of the joint is just crying out for a date with the demolition crew. Good riddance! A friend of mine last went to SFMM in the early 80s and even he knows that it's filled with neer do wells from the hood.

PS: If someone buys the place, sells some coasters, and cleans it up, the name Magic Mountain must go. I don't care how well established it is, so is "Cingular", and AT&T plans to buy up BellSouth and rename Cingular back to AT&T Wireless because that name is more established in the minds of adults while Cingular is better known to teens. This is the same marketing dilemna this park faces.

Ditching the Magic Mountain name would do two things: It would tell the older people who book the trips and pay the money that the place has changed drastically and they should give it another chance, and it tells the notorious element that floods SFMM that the place has changed drastically and that they should STAY HOME.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 06-23-2006 at 12:57 PM.

• Minion

Once they start looking at the soaring real-estate values, it's all over. There is no cultural or historic aspect of MM that would help save it if the sale of the property brought in way more profit years sooner than operating the park.

Executives at the other SoCal parks would do a little dance on MM's grave as they would benefit from its absence in the market, while not attracting the criminal element to their own family parks.

I wonder - - the physical assets at MM must have value too. Are those kinds of coasters capable of being moved? I mean, the best ones could be picked up at a SF garage sale for Cedar Fair/Knotts or even for DCA.

Which MM rides might make a good fit for DCA if it were possible to move them? Consider the retheming possibilities...?

• Circle of Ancients

^ None would fit at DCA.

If the park was demolished I could see most of the coasters getting moved to other parks.

Scream, Batman, Riddlers Revenge, Deja Vu, Goliath, X, Viper, the 2 kiddie coasters should be easy to move although I think in the case of Viper it'd probably just be used for parts.

The other coasters such as Revolution, Ninja, Gold Rusher, Tatsu and Superman use the "Mountain" as part of their layout and would be much harder to just move somewhere else. As for Colossus and Psyclone they would probably be demolished as it's very hard (and quite expensive) to move wooden coasters.

The only other rides worth saving would be the kiddie rides and the ride vehicles from the Log Ride, Jet Stream and Roaring Rapids. Everything else would most likely be scrapped.

As for moving rides it's not un-heard of. Alot of the smaller rides from Astroworld got moved to Six Flags Over Texas. Their drop tower is now at Six Flags St. Louis. Their SLC is at La Ronde (I think), Batman (which used to be shockwave at SFMM) is at Six Flags Darien Lake. A few of their other rides were moved as well and some were used for parts.

The woodie was demolished.

Six Flags could definately "plug" in some of the coasters from SFMM at their other parks. It's cheaper to move a coaster than it is to design and build a totally new one.

Then again they could sell some to other parks, but I'm not sure that would happen.

In the quarter century that I've lived within a 20 minute drive of Magic Mountain, I've been there exactly twice, both times about 20 years ago when we got free passes for some reason. I've never been a big fan of stomach-churning rides, and Magic Mountain presents itself as pretty much just a heaven for roller coaster fans, so I've never felt like I've missed anything by not going back.
    About 6 years ago my wife took our two sons there to spend a day at the water park during their summer vacation. Barely 30 minutes after getting there, clouds rolled in and we had one of our very unusual summer thunderstorms. Instead of just getting everyone out of the water until the storm passed, like any normal public pool, they decided to close the water park for the day, and it was barely noon. No refunds, no rain passes for another day, nothing.
    Since then our entire family has had a very low opinion of Magic Mountain, and haven't spent another dime there. Disneyland, on the other hand, takes a pretty big chunk of our disposable income.
    EVen though we hardly need yet another hideous housing tract filled with beige stucco and red tile roofs, I won't be dissappointed when Six Flags dries up and blows away.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    There is no cultural or historic aspect of MM that would help save it if the sale of the property brought in way more profit years sooner than operating the park.
    I am not convinced of that statment Merlin...

Two of their coasters are historic, particularly the colosalus and the revolution...

The park also has been in numerous films and television shows...

The cultural history is there... The question is do people care? Not like they do Disneyland or Coney Island... People still are atached to SF's Playland and it has long since been developed... Much to the regret of everyone culturally....

If you ask me the city would likely take it over BEFORE it is removed... And then you would have a park in limbo... Sort of like what happened with Paramount's Great America in Santa Clara... That land is super valuable now, in fact bits and pieces around the park are huge office complexes...

The problem with MM is mismanagment by people who wheren't particularly smart...
    Check out my other blog:

• Circle of Ancients

Six Flags IS Wally World ... for that fact alone it should be saved.

Heck, whoever buys it should just rename it Wally World.

• Circle of Ancients

Sorry for the double post:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060623/six_f...arks.html?.v=1

Correction: June 22 Six Flags Story
    Friday June 23, 6:11 pm ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- In a June 22 story about Six Flags Inc. mulling options for several of its theme parks, The Associated Press reported erroneously that the company may explore closure of the parks.

Instead, if Six Flags cannot sell the parks, the company will consider selling the land for real estate development purposes and then dismantling parts of the parks and redeploying them for use at other Six Flags properties.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by wrs28220
    If I have to say this one more time, I think my head will explode!!!!
    GANGS HAVE NOT TAKEN OVER THE PARK!!!! For the past year and a half that I have worked there, there was only one incident, which was between two large groups of people. REGULAR GUESTS WERE NOT INVOLVED! Not once has there been an incident where any of our family park guests have felt compromised. If you are not a gang member, you should worry. Gangs are everywhere in this world, so if you don't want to be around gangs, boycotting Six Flags is not really the way to go...you should be boycotting planet Earth.
    It just goes to show that it can take a life time to build up a reputation, but a short time to lose it.

• My prices are INSANE!

Magic Mountain does sit right in prime Santa Clarita housing real estate territory. With Stevensons Ranch and other developments springing up around the park, selling off the land the park occupies would seem to be very profitable.

Plus, Valencia is to damn hot for a thempark!
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

• Banned User

How is six flags historic again?

I know it has been used in movies. What else?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast