Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Six Flags seeks buyers for Magic Mountain

^ It's home of the first looping coaster (revolution).

uhm ... other than that ... not much.

I wouldn't call the park "Historical" per-se.

• Banned User

Yup, Revolution.

I was there the other day and i was laughing. They had an unannounced 2 float, 4 character parade with some radio station playing. Too funny!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot

uhm ... other than that ... not much.

I wouldn't call the park "Historical" per-se.
    I would include Collosalus because it is the last truly "giant" woody racer left on the west coast... Most of which have been torn down since, dispite the revival of building them which produced Ghost Rider, Screamin, Grissley, and Kong... Once that is gone... the only one left in it's class really would be the Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz which granted is older, but smaller, and over 300 miles away.

I hate it when old coasters die...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    I would include Collosalus because it is the last truly "giant" woody racer left on the west coast... Most of which have been torn down since, dispite the revival of building them which produced Ghost Rider, Screamin, Grissley, and Kong... Once that is gone... the only one left in it's class really would be the Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz which granted is older, but smaller, and over 300 miles away.

I hate it when old coasters die...
    You confused me a little with this post and I had to do a little "Googling." I've always know the "Giant Dipper" as a coaster in San Diego. It appears that Santa Cruz built their Giant Dipper in 1924. The following year, San Diego's Belmont Park built their own Giant Dipper... which has been restored and is currently operating.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

I find it odd that SF wants to sell off one of their only profitable parks. I understand the land it sits on is worth a fortune, but it would be a one time payout, as opposed to selling off smaller, less profitable parks, and concentrating on their money makers. Yes, Magic Mountain has become pretty dirty, but it is nowhere NEAR as filthy as Marine world, or Paramount's Great America. The park needs to stop price gouging (15 bucks to park is insane!) and start REALLY working on cleaning the place up, and keeping the bad crowd out.

• ROFLCOPTER!

Hello there. I just got back from my day at work, and my oh my were rumors flying! The first thing anyone said to me this morning was, "Hey, did you see the media out there?" After that the talk behind scenes never stopped.

There's a lot to address in this thread, but I'm just going to pick and choose for this post. I have worked main gate, toll gate, ticket selling, rides and now I'm at Guest Relations. As such, I feel certified to tell you random information. For example, why is it historical? Hmmm... I dunno... maybe because of some of these:

Batman - the first inverted, outside looping coaster

Superman - the tallest, fastest thrill ride

X - the world's first four-dimensional coaster where riders race in vehicles that spin independently 360-degrees forwards or backwards on separate axis

Collosus - the tallest and fastest wooden coaster in the West

Deja Vu - Tallest, fastest boomerang coaster

Revolution - the first looping coaster of OMG EVER!

Roaring rapids - Western America's first man-made white water river

Tatsu - the Tallest, Fastest, Longest Flying Coaster

Riddler's revenge - The world's tallest and fastest stand-up roller coaster

Viper - Largest looping coaster in the world

Magic Mountain has many MANY firsts, oh, and did I mention our carrousel is a restored 1912 antique? I didn't? Well it is!

I think I've made my point on that.

Next, around 4000 people work there. Bulldozing this would be a major hit to jobs in the city as well as the tourist business. Why else are people going to come to our valley? To look at the Oak of the Golden Dream? Yeah, it would be nice to think so, but no. Not so many people are interested in seeing where the first authentic gold discovery was as they are in flying through the air at 100 mph. Also, the atmosphere is far different this year than in previous years. Rumors have been flying about all the changes coming to the Guest Relations department to make us more efficient. My sister works in characters and there are now droves of them wandering around, and they're very proud of their parade. I think the parade is lame, but they're trying so hard that's it's difficult for me not to enjoy it.

Until I hear of an official sale I'm not going to worry to much. Yes, we have a teen infestation but that has greatly improved from the past and they are trying to pull more families in. I think the park has a great deal of potential. There are things they could easily get rid of to free up room for family rides (some mentioned dark rides!) like psyclone and flashback. I mean, come on, when was the last time that ugly blue thing was open? They also have plenty of space around them to expand. It isn't dead yet and I think it could be made into something great. I have a soft spot for the park so I'm holding out hope.

Oh, and an aside - The Disney store at our park opened this year and is in a little unlabeled yellow building near flashback. Since it's in our park I still get the employee discount. That, I must say, is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Trintara

For example, why is it historical? Hmmm... I dunno... maybe because of some of these:

Batman - the first inverted, outside looping coaster

Superman - the tallest, fastest thrill ride

X - the world's first four-dimensional coaster where riders race in vehicles that spin independently 360-degrees forwards or backwards on separate axis

Collosus - the tallest and fastest wooden coaster in the West

Deja Vu - Tallest, fastest boomerang coaster

Revolution - the first looping coaster of OMG EVER!

Roaring rapids - Western America's first man-made white water river

Tatsu - the Tallest, Fastest, Longest Flying Coaster

Riddler's revenge - The world's tallest and fastest stand-up roller coaster

Viper - Largest looping coaster in the world

Magic Mountain has many MANY firsts, oh, and did I mention our carrousel is a restored 1912 antique? I didn't? Well it is!

I think I've made my point on that.
    The first inverted roller coaster was at Six Flags Great America, not Magic Mountain

De Ja Vu has one or two other rides that opened the same year in other Six Flags Parks

Six Flags Over Texas or Astroworld had the first man made roaring rapids ride, I cannot remember which one.

Revolution was NOT the first looping coaster ever. It had been done in the early 1900s. It was however, the first vertical looping coaster of the modern era.

The only original parts on the carrosuel left is the structure. The horses (as far as I know) are now fiberglass, not wooden carvings.

I do not want Magic Mountain to go away either. I do wish that they would invest less money in rides, and more money in upkeep. Last time I was there (right after X opeend) the place was in shambles, and customer service was horrible. They just need to work on those two things to start.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Except that GE is doing nothing for the parks it already owns. Why do we need them to buy another park and have attendance stagnate there too?
    Universal hasn't had much in the works this year, and doesn't seem to have much in the works for next year either. Although, the coming Seuss Trolly looks to be terrific - and they've added quite a bi prior to 2006. They are a sleepy giant among theme parks, as well as Disney's main competitor. Disney will be using Midway Mania to compete with Spiderman technology.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

but see, i work with selling magic mountain tickets, and they are closed on weekdays until after spring. during the fall and winter months, they are opened on saturday and sunday. i mean, i don't understand how a person can categorize this as being open all year long, but that's just me.

i would be sad to see this place go to real estate because they already have a TON of real estate out there in the canyon country. imo - its way too hot there during the summer to go and have an "enjoyable" time (it gets to be about 15 degrees hotter than where disneyland and/or universal are located), and the crowds. i know that the land was cheap and that's why they built there in the first place, but good gosh. its waaaaaay too hot. :O!!

but i will be sad if it does go away, because that means my option to ride some really good rides will be gone...
    kingdom hearts <3er

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Well I don't care if it goes... It is so crowded there that you wait 2 to 3 hours for a ride that is 3 minutes long??? no thank you, plus the area it is in, the problems with the park, the gangs.... etc. etc.

• That's interesting.....

I love the rides at MM, but the place looks like a junkyard. I went in February, probably the first time I had been there in nearly a decade, and I couldn't help but notice the park's horrible upkeep. I was really disappointed when I was in the line for Ninja and saw the Japanese-style paintings. They were covered in grafitti and it looked like no one had bothered to clean the glass covering them in years. The fading paint and dead grass in the Collossus area was depressing (yes, it made me depressed). And then there was all the gum that no one has bothered to scrape off on Gold Rusher, and the sign for Jet Stream was spray-painted on. Geez, I could go on and on. But the worst was when I was on Psyclone, going up the first hill. They had dismantled parts of Revolution and River Rapids to build Tatsu, and they just threw pieces of those rides in an open desert-y area behind Psyclone. They were covered in so much dirt and rust (and some dead trees nearby) I was expecting some tumbleweed to roll by, or even worse, a zombie from the Hills Have Eyes to appear. It looked pretty bad.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    Which MM rides might make a good fit for DCA if it were possible to move them? Consider the retheming possibilities...?
    Thematically, Colossus is made for Paradise Pier and is pretty well recognized non-Disney icon of California amusement parks, so it would lend more credibility to DCA's theme than anything else in the park.

While I looked the two up at Google Local to see the footprint of that coaster and PPier and it would fit if they dismantled Screamin for it (that itself is not TOO unlikely since Al says that ride has problems), I can't see Disney wanting to inherit the safety and build history of a woodie that's as old as Disney World itself. And that doesn't even factor in the costs or logistics.

Of course, if you can dream it you can do it, but in this case I think they'd simply not want to do it. And as much as I nostlagically wax about the ride, at my current age I'd be unable to take the bruising it must dish out now, so my advice should not be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    What??? Coney Island's Loop the Loop beat it by around 70 years. Revolution is rather late to the party.
    (EDIT: Thanks for clearing that one up, PinBrian.)
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 06-23-2006 at 10:20 PM.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian
    The first inverted roller coaster was at Six Flags Great America, not Magic Mountain

De Ja Vu has one or two other rides that opened the same year in other Six Flags Parks

Six Flags Over Texas or Astroworld had the first man made roaring rapids ride, I cannot remember which one.

Revolution was NOT the first looping coaster ever. It had been done in the early 1900s. It was however, the first vertical looping coaster of the modern era.

The only original parts on the carrosuel left is the structure. The horses (as far as I know) are now fiberglass, not wooden carvings.

I do not want Magic Mountain to go away either. I do wish that they would invest less money in rides, and more money in upkeep. Last time I was there (right after X opeend) the place was in shambles, and customer service was horrible. They just need to work on those two things to start.
    Superman was also outbeat a while back also, they say that superman (the ride vehicle) goes 415 feet high YEAH RIGHT! it goes barley half way up the tower which I would say is around 200 feet maybe... the new ride is also a coaster only it is 450 feet high and it goes all the way up to the top over the top and straight back down, it's called kingda kua or something...

• Senior Minion

I visited MM on Monday and was disapointed by only a few things.

Riding the Ol' trams from the 70's? Those trams scream "retire me!"

Every Coaster was running only one car, coaster, etc and that's it. Superman, X, Goliath, pretty much all the major rides were being run this way.

Yeah it was a Monday, but still there was a 2 hour wait for Revolution and the guys running it, were literally messing around (they really were not taking there job seriously)that it locked up and they had to call in maintenance.

I only had time to ride Scream, Colusssus, Revolution(curious)and a few others.
    Metal detectors? Not a good sign to enter a park. So, I can see why some families would be concerned.
    I went in with the knowledge of the gang warnings, but honestly,I didn't see really anything that was a threat. I can see the younger age difference and the cultural difference. Guess I hit this park at the right time.
    You know, that park obviously was a beautiful park at one time. Sad really, because I can see wonderful things coming out of this park. Not real thrilled about going there again, but only if they have more then one coaster running on each ride and someone else who rides coasters.
    I really hope they find a new buyer with better management.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Circle of Ancients

Just to clear up some things on the "historical" SFMM:

Yes, Revolution is the first "modern" looping coaster that didn't break peoples necks when they rode it.

Colossus isn't the tallest, fastest woodie on the west coast. That goes to Ghostrider, before Ghostrider then yes.

As PinBrian mentioned there are 2 other Deja Vu's in the states and one in Spain.

Superman only went 100mph once, when the Discovery Channel and Guiness was there. The ride has since been beaten in the height and speed area twice. First by Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point (400 feet, 120mph) and Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure (418 feet, 128mph).

The first rapids ride was indeed at Six Flags Over Texas.

Just being the first of a whole bunch of things doesn't make anything "Historical".

I don't want to see the park go anywhere but not for any Historical reasons.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast