Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

• Stop global whining!!!!!!

Re: Six Flags seeks buyers for Magic Mountain

I would love to have disney take over the park.

Visit me at: Gabriel Felton

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoCAFalcon
    I would love to have disney take over the park.
    Good one! It would be nice to have Disney transform into a half way decent park...

It would be nice to have Disney buy Magic Mountain, and clean it up. It could be made a nice place so easily, it would just take some time and A LOT of cash. You can see it was once a nice place, it just needs work. Some paint, some wood, a better or re-trained staff, and a good security team to keep out the a-holes. The kicker though is to run all the coasters at FULL CAPACITY. I am not waiting 2-3 hours for X because they are trying to save costs by running one train. That makes for bad word of mouth, which means less customers. If Cedar Point can run at full steam every day during the summer, that means that Magic Mountain can as well, they just need to be trained on how to do so.

• Banned User

Would it be bad if Busch Entertainment purchased the park... (Which is unlikely.. cause they show no interest in expanding even a little since this is in California and only near Sea world at best but further than BGT and SWO are..)

• Still lost in Neverland

We rode the Giant Dipper in San Deigo while on a trip to Sea World a few years ago. We spent some time at Sea World, then left with a hand stamp and reenter stamp for parking and drove over to the place where the Giant Dipper was located. That was one fun Wooden Coaster. We rode it five times and had a blast. We then went somewhere to eat and then back to Sea World for the night shows and then the long night drive back to LA. But the Gaint Dipper was worth it. Sea World, not so much.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I say if Disney wants to take over a badly themed, off the shelf roller-coaster park in Santa Clarita, so be it. I know where they can find one, ready made.

Just how long would it take to tow DCA up the 5, anyway???

Then we can get the old parking lot back...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Trintara
    Batman - the first inverted, outside looping coaster

Superman - the tallest, fastest thrill ride

X - the world's first four-dimensional coaster where riders race in vehicles that spin independently 360-degrees forwards or backwards on separate axis

Collosus - the tallest and fastest wooden coaster in the West

Deja Vu - Tallest, fastest boomerang coaster

Revolution - the first looping coaster of OMG EVER!

Roaring rapids - Western America's first man-made white water river

Tatsu - the Tallest, Fastest, Longest Flying Coaster

Riddler's revenge - The world's tallest and fastest stand-up roller coaster

Viper - Largest looping coaster in the world

Magic Mountain has many MANY firsts, oh, and did I mention our carrousel is a restored 1912 antique? I didn't? Well it is!
    I don't think that helps its cause. I mean a first "thing" is great...but just because it is old doesn't make it great. And so many of those "tallest" and "fastest" will be beaten soon...and a majority of those rides can be moved. I think none of this will help the park's cause. Only fan backlash can save the park...but hopefully that will mean a turn around so it isn't such a joke...historical or not.

• C4C6C

This is from www.scvhistory.com from the magic mountain link.

Magic Mountain was an ambitious entertainment project that opened over Memorial Day weekend in 1971 and promptly wrote itself into America's vibrant theme park history. In this photograph, the Magic Mountain Sky Tower overlooks the not-yet-opened park and the rest of Valencia from a height of 384 feet.
    In 1968, executives of Sea World, Inc., were looking for a place in Los Angeles County to build a new theme park. Knowing that The Newhall Land and Farming Company had enough undeveloped land and that the company wanted to attract attention to its New Town of Valencia, a county planner asked company president James F. Dickason if he was interested. He was. After intense negotiations, Sea World and Newhall Land formed a partnership and began to build a 200-acre amusement park at the western edge of Valencia. Seventy acres would be used for the park itself -- rides, theaters, games, food, landscaping -- and the rest for parking and ancillary services. Ground was broken in January, 1970.
    When Magic Mountain's wrought-iron gates swung open for the first time on May 29, 1971, Southern California's most exciting "white knuckler" experience was the Gold Rusher roller coaster, which careened over the hillsides on its distinctive gold-colored track at a breathtaking 35 miles per hour. Highlights of the day were El Bumpo, a bumper boat ride where riders navigated skimmer craft over a lagoon; Galaxy, a giant, double-armed tilting ferris wheel; Billy the Squid, a brightly colored ride with huge, revolving tentacles; and the Grand Centennial Excursion, an old-fashioned narrow gague passeneger train.
    As technology improved, so did the tastes of park patrons. The thrills of the 1970s gave way to even bigger, faster rides. With Magic Mountain and, subsequently, Valencia, now firmly on the map, The Newhall Land and Farming Company was ready to divest.
    Newhall Land's final venture into theme park history was the Colossus roller coaster, which opened at the end of the 1978 season. Newhall Land sold the park in 1979 for $51 million -- a profit of only $250,000 -- to Six Flags, a nationally-renowed theme park company which owned and operated five other amusement parks across the nation at the time. Under Six Flags' ownership, the park blossomed into one of the biggest amusement parks in the world. Annual attendance quadrupled in the park's first quarter-century of operation, from 1 million in 1971 to roughly 4 million in 1996. Even after the 1987 incorporation of the nearby City of Santa Clarita, whenever Santa Claritans are asked by outsiders where they live, the most common reply is, "near Magic Mountain." Information from Six Flags California and "A California Legend: The Newhall Land and Farming Company" by Ruth Waldo Newhall (1992).

• Banned User

Six fdlags has fun rides, but its the very oppisite of disneyland. Unclean, rude employees, etc

Wow what a nice article!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    I say if Disney wants to take over a badly themed, off the shelf roller-coaster park in Santa Clarita, so be it. I know where they can find one, ready made.

Just how long would it take to tow DCA up the 5, anyway???

Then we can get the old parking lot back...
    As long as there's plenty of beer RB, you've got me sold.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've never been but stuff like this DOES happen. Just look up a little park in Nashville called Opryland. It was a great park with some awesome coasters.... which got bulldozed and is now an outlet mall.

• Rock Star Minion

Maybe SFMM is not making money, and that's why it's being sold. Don't know this for sure.
    Maybe there are too many reduced admissions, in its attempt to keep up with the Joneses.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Some interesting comments from Lance at Screamscape:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_...c_mountain.htm

Park News - (6/26/06) Even now, going into the Monday news update, I canít hide the fact that Iím still in shock over the very idea that Six Flags would even think about selling Magic Mountain. Over the weekend I had some time to think about it, and the only logical conclusion Iíve been able to come up with is... perhaps Shapiro and crew are bluffing.
    Here me out here... Synder is a ruthless business man and one shark knows another which is why Shapiro is calling the shots right now. Shapiro has past history with Disney and their management, so heís seen first hand how the master theme park spin doctors work and has made no secret of trying of the fact that he wants Six Flags to start going after Disneyís audience, which is family groups.
    He goes on to compare this "possible" sell to the "Going out forever" marketing blitz of the Electrical Parade at Disneyland. Saying that Disneyland saw tremendous increases in attendance when people thought that was going away.

Hmm, that could work but I think the back firing effect of it isn't worth it. You create a few bitter feelings when you sucker people in and then don't close it. Like all those musician's who charge $175 per ticket for thier "final shows" then go on tour again the following summer.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast