Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Re: Six Flags seeks buyers for Magic Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Hmm, that could work but I think the back firing effect of it isn't worth it. You create a few bitter feelings when you sucker people in and then don't close it. Like all those musician's who charge $175 per ticket for thier "final shows" then go on tour again the following summer.
    Or like when Disney brought back the "gone forever" Electrical Parade? ;-)

Let me start by saying that I don't want to see SFMM go. However whatever happens the park needs a ton of TLC. I was just there this past weekend and found myself hanging out with a non-rider. This gave me the opportunity to really look around at the surroundings. I echo what has been said before that the place is turning into a junkyard and is infested with teens and punks (not in the sense of musical classification).

Here is a list of some of the challenges/problems/events that we saw that the owners (current or new) face to keep the park alive and have to overcome to let the park thrive.

As for the "gang" issue. I don't know and don't really care what the past gang activity was like and don't care if there are gangs now, but I do know that during our 7 hours in the par we saw 3 separate detainments/arrests and saw the sheriffs running to other areas 5 times. Gang or not this element needs to be eliminated from the park. Hopefully the rising prices will help. But it is to late for this year since most of the element probably already has their annual passes.

When it comes to the rides themselves, rust, fading, and grime coated wear can be seen on all but the very newest rides. The once bright red Ninja is now a faded tannish color broken up by dark streaks of grime and wear. Superman's rust, chipped paint and wear can be seen across the park. Tidal Wave, admittedly it must be hard to upkeep a water ride, has rust streaks all over and looking at the pylons holding up the final bridge were cracked and crumbling from the water that has seeped into them. Even the latest rides like Tatsu seem to lack polish, leaving obvious weld marks unpainted. I heard more than one person in line remark on them.

Little attractions throughout the park are broken or falling into disrepair. Many of the arcade machines they have are either broken and turned off or just broken. The water mortars at tidal wave also have issues, they only have three modes, steal money (coin is accepted but cannon won't fire), ignore money (coins just fall through to return slot) or no money (where the coin slot is clogged with coins/junk leaving the system unusable).

The weld marks are indicative of a general issue with the facades and ride buildings themselves. Facades are falling apart. For one example, look at The Gearworks and other gotham attractions which have lost their fake metal paint and are showing bare, rotting wood.

Buildings and props have been damaged and left unrepaired, heck even the giant tree in Bugs Bunny world has huge gaping holes of exposed foam.

Even the everyday items suffer immensely. Handrails have lost their paint on the top to years of hands but the bottoms still have the original coats clinging on in patches. There are even areas where half the fiberglass coverings have come off leaving jagged pieces of fiberglass coating only about half the rail. Every where, wooden fences are broken, metal is unpainted and in some places ever rotting. Up on the terrace there is a tree with a cement bench around it and a metal planter guard as a backstop. The metal bars are LITERALLY RUSTED AWAY! The paint was bubbling all over and the square metal tube parts that were intact had holes. At one point we sat on a cement planter and realized that the edge of the planter had become detached and was about to fall away.

As a closing thought, I have many fond memories of SFMM, and I want to see it flourish. However, nowdays, I find that my fear during my trips to the park come from the maintence, upkeep, and other visitors to the park, not the loops and dips and that is very sad.
    Last edited by Escapist; 06-26-2006 at 12:50 PM.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Hmm, that could work but I think the back firing effect of it isn't worth it. You create a few bitter feelings when you sucker people in and then don't close it. Like all those musician's who charge $175 per ticket for thier "final shows" then go on tour again the following summer.
    Not only this, but you have employees there who ARE considering their options now that this news is out there. I imagine that people who work at SFMM don't like to work there for the same reason many in this thread don't like to visit.

You don't want to say "Aw heck, we're kidding" and find that the only people who didn't resign are one ride operator and the churro lady.

• Minion

I know how they can save Magic Mountain, bring KISS back so they can film Phantom of the PARK II. That would save the park!

Jason

• Circle of Ancients

ARNR has some comments about the Six Flags stuff ... VERY funny

http://www.absolutelyreliable.com/

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

What a great site!

• POTC Fan!

Its sad to know that possibility of losing a theme park in CA maybe in our near future. SFMM was one of my first memories of visiting an amusement park. I didn't see it as a family park but one with more "thrill" rides than Disney.

I did visit the park last summer with my oldest daughter who had never been there and was disappointed with a few things.

1. ENTERING THE PARK....The first disappointment was paying for parking and then being parked too far from the entrance to make walking safe either in the heat or at night when it came time to leave.

2. TRAMS??? Is that what they call these? Lack of places to board and when you do find one, they start at the end of park and attempt to load more people as they pass by. Who are they kidding? Where did they get trams anyway, even Disney's outdated old trams would be considered an upgrade for this park. Get better tram operators. The ones we experienced were worse, than rude. Do we dare venture inside?

3. SECURITY CHECK: Metal detectors, both the ones you walk through as well as the bar ones that they wave over you, give you an overwhelming sense of something lacking here?

4. LACK OF PLACES TO EAT....Even the ones we managed to find, had extremely long lines and the atmosphere lacked what a family would want, more like let's eat and just get out.

5. LACK OF MAINTENANCE... Outdated areas, public viewing storage locations, peeling paint, make you wonder are the rides really being maintained properly if they fail to make the cosmetic repairs to the park?

6. PARK LAYOUT....when you lay the park out over the landscape that exists, you either have to provide alternative ways to get around that landscape, such as trams, skyways, and trains, which they used to provide, although now obsolete, or your gear your park to people who are more mobile, such as younger and more healthier adults. Its difficult during extreme heat to walk up such long walk ways and steep hills.

7. PRICES: If lowering the prices and offering all kinds of deals to get people into the park was all it was needed to keep this park running, SFMM has this one won hands down on the amount of offers alone. Besides Buy One Get One Free Offers and one of the cheapest annual passes around with no BLACK OUT dates and free Friend tickets, SFMM is losing in its battle to make this a profitable park. Its obviously not just about bring people in, but what kind of people are they bringing in? If they raise the prices then it has to be worth paying the money. Why do we pay over $300.00 in annual passes to get into Disney? The benefits the park offers besides just getting in the door. We need to feel like its worth it, not just to have the best rides in the park, when is the last time, SFMM put in something beside another roller coaster?

I am hopeful that this is an enterprise that can be turned around by the right business that can see the potential of the park beyond what is there at the present time. Hopefully it will be very soon!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TacAlert
    There is the overall perception that there is a gang problem. This is not a debate as to whether there is one or not. It is just people's perception of it. Some people are insistent that there isn't one because there is only one incident that anybody may have known about in the last year. But if many perceive there to be one, than that is something that needs to be changed. I don't think there is a gang problem, but the large portion of people entering the park look like gang members, which in turn, gives the impression that there is one.
    Wow. I can't believe it, but I agree with you!

I go to Six Flags quite a bit. I'm going on monday matter of fact, and for every visit, I have never once felt threatened by gang activity. The internet community is funny. It has this strange habit of perpetuating things and blowing them out of proportion. Get enough people to say one thing, and soon everyone will believe. Regardless of how close to the truth that actually is.

We've had a lot of discussions about Six Flags on this board, and I've always heard the "gang element" argument. I don't buy it. If we were going by the criteria that many have posted on this board, I'm certainly a candidate for a gang member. Absolutely stupid to me, but understandable nonetheless. Fear and misunderstanding do that...

Personally, any place that has a lot of teens is going to be a potential problem. Even the little bit that go to Disneyland cause grief. SFMM makes young men want to prove themselves by riding intense rides, and exuding "toughness" to impress all the young women at the park. Animalistic behavior at its base...

How do they get rid of that image? Higher prices obviously. Make it harder for hordes of teens to come to the park on their own and cause problems. Higher quality employees would help too. Theming, and better overall upkeep wouldn't hurt either.

It's possible, it can certainly happen. Afterall, they just need to convince a few message boards peeps, and they'll inform the sheep...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Get enough people to say one thing, and soon everyone will believe.
    I read this all over the internet, so it must be true.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Capt. Spanky

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz
    What i recommend is Disney should buy six flags and have its own "Disney" rollercoaster park and clean it up!!!

Brilliant! I love this idea. I bet Disney could get it cheap. Then make it the infamous 3rd gate.......just about 70 miles away.
    Oh Brother!

• Princess of my own world

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Wow. I can't believe it, but I agree with you!

We've had a lot of discussions about Six Flags on this board, and I've always heard the "gang element" argument. I don't buy it. If we were going by the criteria that many have posted on this board, I'm certainly a candidate for a gang member. Absolutely stupid to me, but understandable nonetheless. Fear and misunderstanding do that...

Personally, any place that has a lot of teens is going to be a potential problem. Even the little bit that go to Disneyland cause grief. SFMM makes young men want to prove themselves by riding intense rides, and exuding "toughness" to impress all the young women at the park. Animalistic behavior at its base...
    What is interesting about people saying that there is a gang problem is that there are many definitions in CA as to what a gang is. In my Criminal Justice Class we learned that in some places people can call you a gang if you are hanging out with 3 or more people on a continual basis. Here are some other definitions. Some are more vague than others. These are how people decide if there is a gang problem or not.

Street Gang Definitions:

LA Country Sheriff's Dept. definition: "Any group gathered together on a continuing basis to commit antisocial behavior."

Bakersfield Police Dept

Street Gang: A criminal street gang can be defined as a group of individuals gathered together on a continual basis to commit anti-social (or criminal) behavior. A street gang may or may not be territorial.

Gang member: Any person who actively participates in any criminal street gang with knowledge that its members engage in, or have engaged in, a patter of criminal gang activity, and who willfully promotes, furthers, or assists in any felonious criminal conduct by members of that gang.

Then the California Definition according to Cal. Penal Code 186.22 is

an ongoing organization, association, or group of three or more persons whose primary activities include the commission of one or more serious or violent criminal acts; that has a common name or identifying sign or symbol; and "whose members individually or collectively . . . have engaged in a pattern of criminal gang activity."

So yeah depending on which definition they followed people could easily say that any place where teenagers gather in groups of 3 or more on a continual basis and even wear similar clothes, or something, that there is a gang problem. No I'm not a Criminal Justice major or anything, just was excited to use what I learned in that class. So please feel free to correct me if I misunderstood something.

Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

• Circle of Ancients

I know that our local malls wouldn't let groups of more than 3 HS students hang out together in the mall ... although this was when I was in HS ... 12 years ago.

It may be different now.

• Princess of my own world

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    I know that our local malls wouldn't let groups of more than 3 HS students hang out together in the mall ... although this was when I was in HS ... 12 years ago.

It may be different now.
    The security in our mall is supposed to break up groups of 3 or more because just in December and January alone there was a shooting, down the mall from where I work, and a stabbing in the parking lot. The shooting was gang related so the security got tighter for a while.

After going through that I would not feel comfortable at SFMM if there were large groups of potential 'gang members' hanging around. Even though there are metal detectors (which some people wanted implemented at the mall), people still have ways of sneaking things in. That's just my opinion.
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

• Circle of Ancients

I know people complain about the metal detectors at SFMM, but honestly, without them I wouldn't feel safe.

I feel completely safe at SFMM.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Are you biting your lip saying that?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast