Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Six Flags seeks buyers for Magic Mountain

^ Nope.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by PrncssZ
    What is interesting about people saying that there is a gang problem is that there are many definitions in CA as to what a gang is...according to Cal. Penal Code 186.22 is...please feel free to correct me if I misunderstood something.
    You are a woman after my own heart...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Magic Mtn has been "overrun w/gangs" IMHO since the late 80s/early 90s. There doesn't have to be a "gang war" incident to make people think that way and not want to go there... there just needs to be gang members present to make ppl uncomfortable. It only takes one or two cold stares or rude comments from someone with a tattooed throat to make people not want to bring their families there.
    I think for most Southern California residents, the perception that SFMM is over run by gangs began with the RIOT. When was this? Late 90's? Gang members over ran the park when confronted by security, a gun went off, people ran in all directions, several individuals ran down the hill to local restaurants and broke windows and all hell broke loose for a good couple of hours. I think it was a Marie Callendars that was vandalized. It's all a bit hazy now, but I think some hip hop/rap artist (America Stings...check this before you hit me) was scheduled to perform and less than HALF of the crowd made it in to the area where the performance was. That's when people went nuts.

I've tried to find a link for this story on a Magic Mountain history page and haven't turned anything up yet. Does anyone else remember this?

As Sir Clinks just pointed out on another thread, Time Warner sold Six Flags in the late 1990's as well. I don't think SFMM ever recovered from these two events. The whole family vibe seemed to disappear with the departure of Time Warner, and the gang element simply kept receiving more press each year. The lawsuit charging race discrimination against individucals who LOOKED like gang bangers, three or four early closures due to fights breaking out....

If you check other themepark message boards, LOOK at the number of people complaining of shoddy maintenance, people smoking pot, long lines, and of course...gang members.

Here's another news story from 1998, the same year Time Warner sold Six Flags (Not the riot story):

VALENCIA, California (CNN) -- Rival gang members opened fire at a Southern California amusement park Wednesday night, and one person was killed, police said.

Two other people -- one a female bystander -- were wounded in the exchange of gunfire that erupted at the Six Flags Magic Mountain amusement park in Valencia, about 50 miles north of Los Angeles.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said the shootings occurred in the parking lot about 8:30 p.m., half an hour after the park closed and as visitors were leaving.

One gang member, identified only as a man, was killed. Another gang member, age 14, was wounded, and a 37-year-old woman described as "an innocent bystander" was also struck by a bullet, police said. Both were hospitalized in good condition.
    Soooo....I really don't know what Six Flags can do at this point to change their image in the press. Is SFMM losing money every year, or is it just the company at large? And will there be more lawsuits from individuals who are refused entrance to the park?

Maybe SFMM has become to big of a headache for the Six Flags chain. If they can get couple billion dollars from the sale of the park, I bet they'll go for it.

Sad really. I remember going there as a teenager in 1976...just after the revolution opened. I LOVED Magic Mountian in the 70's and 80's. We thought it was the coolest thing to ride Collosus backwards. But then I made the mistake of taking a high school group in the 1990's, just after Viper opened and waited in two hour lines just to get a coke. I haven't been back since.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Great post.

I don't think it's necessarily that the park is losing money. I just think the $$ it would take in order to get the park up to the "New Six Flags" standards is going to be too high. The park has been neglected for FAR too long, and it's sad.

• Closed Account

I am still a firm believer that a great deal of the decrepid-ness of the park, comes from a lack of employee enthusiam. At DLR, the standards they have for their cast members are very high. At SFMM, if you are breathing and have no visible tattoos, you are normally hired. I had some new-hires in my department do a "Service Standard Spy" activity in the park a few days ago. They are suppose to approach an employee and ask them where the Log Jammer is.
    The resposes:
    (Pointing w/one finger) "Oh, um, go that way and you'll see it in a while."
    "I don't know, its only my first week here."
    "It's by the front of the park."

Question: What shows are playing today?:
    "I'm in food service, I don't know."
    "I know there is a Batman show that way, and a Chinese show that way."

And the most interesting of all:
    Simply stand on the midway with a map out, look confused and lost, and see if an employee approaches you to help:

Result:
    30 employees passed one of three groups in Colossus County Fair. Everyone from minors to supervisors passed by. One group adjusted their position on the midway so a large group of employees would have to run into them. The group made eye contact w/ the employees and they practically ran to get away, avoiding the guests.
    One supervisor managed to make eye contact with all three groups, and not once stopped to ask if they needed help.

Out of 30 employees, only one stopped. He offered assistance, then proceeded to walk them to their next location, which was where the employee was heading anyways.

When the supervisors aren't doing a good job, you cant expect anyone below them to do a better job.

• Circle of Ancients

^ It also doesn't help when you are waiting in a 1 hour+ line and you see the ride ops joking around and talking on their cell phones.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    ^ Great post.

I don't think it's necessarily that the park is losing money. I just think the $$ it would take in order to get the park up to the "New Six Flags" standards is going to be too high. The park has been neglected for FAR too long, and it's sad.
    That is the killer. This isn't an easy park to fix to become a family park like others. So they don't want it.

Its Not Just The Rowdy Teens Its The Darn Gang Members And Cholos They Write There Darn Gang Grafitti All Over The Darn Place... Thats Why I Cant Stand It, The Park I Mean.

• Stop global whining!!!!!!

I dont thank the city would allow the permits and or zone changes, to make it into homes, its a attraction that you can't buy anymore. Even Disney tried that with DCA. If you build it they might not come. I thank Disney needs Medal detectors, or ones you cant see, what would be a better place to blow up DL or SFMM, just checking bags make me safe. NOT! It is scarry to see what you could bring to DL. Disneyland makes thugs disappear faster at DL.

Visit me at: Gabriel Felton

• ROFLCOPTER!

I don't like statements that state that the employees are all horrible there since I take it personally. I know I shouldn't, but I do. I also know many good people that work there and who love to help people.

If I see someone looking lost in the midway I ask them if I can help them. I know where the log jammer is and I'll point with two fingers. I'll even give landmarks. I know about the shows, though I'll admit I don't have the times memorized yet, with the exception of the parade and fireworks (this will be remedied when I finally remember to get the new info book for my pocket even though I'm usually in Guest Relations and can just look at the stack of schedules there). I've gone out of my way multiple times to help people and as I said above, there are other good people who do the same. I understand that not everyone is like this, but management is trying to turn this around. You know how you all keep commenting about the CM problems at Disneyland? Well imagine for a moment that if they can have problems then maybe, just maybe, these other theme parks might be running into the same difficulty.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now. All these threads, while containing some useful and insightful comments, are just starting to get to me. I really should just stop reading them but I can't help myself. It's like watching a car accident. Only problem with this simile is that I'm in the metaphorical car.

• Circle of Ancients

^ That's great.

But I don't think anybody on this thread said that all SFMM employees are bad. Sadly I think you are the exception, not the rule.

• C4C6C

Quote Originally Posted by SoCAFalcon
    I dont thank the city would allow the permits and or zone changes, to make it into homes,
    Are you kidding?

Many people don't realize, SFMM is located in the county, not the city. The county changes so many permits out there it isn't even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by wrs28220
    If I have to say this one more time, I think my head will explode!!!!
    GANGS HAVE NOT TAKEN OVER THE PARK!!!! For the past year and a half that I have worked there, there was only one incident, which was between two large groups of people. REGULAR GUESTS WERE NOT INVOLVED! Not once has there been an incident where any of our family park guests have felt compromised. If you are not a gang member, you should worry. Gangs are everywhere in this world, so if you don't want to be around gangs, boycotting Six Flags is not really the way to go...you should be boycotting planet Earth.

(DEEP SIGH)

Alright, feeling better now.

Now, as I sat at my computer reading the link, I could help but shaking my head through the whole report. IMO, that is a very bad move if SF sells off Magic Mountain. I am shocked because, I almost feel betrayed. Why, you may ask? Let's revisist the Mark Shapiro visit from this past January at SFMM. He personally stated that there were two parks in the company that were the biggest money makers: SFMM, and another one that I can't remember. There is an internal rumor that SFMM helps support and keep open some of the less succesful parks, giving them some of our profit. Don't know if it's true.
    On a personal note. Since the change in management, the park atmosphere has improved from what it was. Ofcourse, it is nowhere near 100%, changes won't be seen overnight. But something is working, and it isn't just Tatsu that is filling up our parking lot almost everyday. With characters every 10 feet, a few nice new shows and parades, and maybe one or two more smiles or positive experiences with employees, I swear it is starting to turn around. I can't help but almost take it personally, a slap in the face. "Yeah, we are trying to changing the face of the company, but your not working out Magic Mountain, so were going to have to let you go."
    A BIG MISTAKE.

And like previously stated. I HIGHLY DOUBT that the park would be bulldozed just for the land. It is already a well established park.
    It's sad what has happened to the park. It's not really over-run by 'gangs' - but obnoxious teenagers definitely do makeup a large problem - and it's probably because the park is a more affordable option. I visited the park the other day (after not having been for many years), and on leaving, two random girls were hugging (and walking backwards) RIGHT into my boyfriend, he said "Excuse you!", and the girl retorted with an "excuse yourself!" - I guess this is more of a "kids these days.." type of response.

However, the park is kinda known as "the ghetto park" - because it certainly has gone down hill. It used to be so clean, and nice, and overall entertaining, and now it just seems to be falling apart. I couldn't help but just kinda laugh when I rode Scream for the first time - a GREAT coaster, but one which looks like a carnival ride just setup for a few weeks - what with it being built on part of an old parking lot, still with parking spaces painted on the ground. I mean, really - is a little cleanup and themeing too much to ask for these days?

Tatsu is an incredible new rollercoaster, and that park has become known for it's great rollercoasters, but if they intend to stay, they really have to start staffing it better, and increase park security just to keep overactive kids toned down. Raise the ticket prices if need be, but if they do, at least make it a better experience overall.

I miss watching Looney Toons in line.

• Circle of Ancients

^ Not only parking lot lines (under scream) but when you are going through the helix there is a big bleach spot on the ground. This is the spot where the employee was hit by the train and killed a couple of years ago.

I mean at least cover up the spot where somebody died.

• C4C6C

From the 07/07/06 L.A. Times article: "In the middle of a second tour of company parks, this time during the busy season, Shapiro said he had witnessed unfriendly, slow-moving seasonal employees, poor maintenance and popular rides with a single train running at a time."

Kind of sounds like SFMM, or is it?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast