Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Six Flags seeks buyers for Magic Mountain

I heard this news today and thought I would share. Here is the link to the article.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060623/1306548.html?.v=1

• Still lost in Neverland

Re: Six Flags seeks buyers for Magic Mountain

KNX Radio news said it is likely that Magic Mountain will be bulldozed down to the ground as it's worth more than the Park now. Unruly teens driving families away was the main reason given for the drop in attendance at MM. The high profiled plans of the new management seems to have gone down the drain. I don't go up there anymore because of the gangs that seem to have taken over the place anyway, but I would have liked to ride X and Tatsu. Oh well.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• The one and only

The Santa Clarita City Council and Chamber of commerce want to keep Magic Mountain as a park and not another housing development. I would like to see the park stay because of very selfish reasons--I can see the fireworks from my apartment and I would miss the free shows in the summer.
    "I don't want the public to see the world they live in while they're in the Park (Disneyland). I want to feel they're in another world." W.E.D.

•   
    • Minion

Interestingly the Concord "Waterworld USA" Park is among those listed as well... But they are keeping Marine World in Vallejo... That's interesting... This is a serious divestment in California...
    Check out my other blog:

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I just heard this on Good Day LA. How sad...I would miss it if it went. It may be too far to go on a regular basis but I'd like to go every few years. I wanted to ride Tatsu! Anyone know when it might possibly close or do we still have a good while to go?

• The one and only

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626
    I just heard this on Good Day LA. How sad...I would miss it if it went. It may be too far to go on a regular basis but I'd like to go every few years. I wanted to ride Tatsu! Anyone know when it might possibly close or do we still have a good while to go?
    From what I understand, it's not a for sure thing that Magic Mountain might cease to be as an amusement park. Six Flags might just sell it as is. Magic Mountain wasn't always a Six Flags park and it could operate independently again.
    "I don't want the public to see the world they live in while they're in the Park (Disneyland). I want to feel they're in another world." W.E.D.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I hope so. Damn all the troublemakers who go there and have ruined the image of that park!

• Circle of Ancients

And just FYI ... this isn't something that will happen ANYTIME soon ... IF it does happen.

First of all Six Flags hasn't even decided if they will put the parks up for sale yet. They are just considering it, so it may not happen.

Second, an independent buyer or another park chain could buy the park.

Six Flags stock went down 19% today after the announcement ... I don't think it will happen.

• Happy Memories

I was just reading about this on another site. I can't speak from experience really as I've never been to the park myself, but it does have quite the rep online (both good and bad). From my understanding, much of the failures of the park can be attributed to poor management and money being spent in the wrong places (millions on top of the line rides, chump change on everything else-quality staff, maintenance, themeing, non-thrills, etc). Based on all of this, I would think that the right buyer could really turn the place around.

Of the names I've seen thrown around, two stand out. Cedar Fair is a possibility, but they already have Knott's in the same market and currently have some high debt due to their recent purchase of the Paramount parks. Another possibility that I saw suggested would be Busch. I kinda like that suggestion. They've done a great job with the Tampa and Williamsburg parks of combining the thrills with theming. Magic Mountain already has the thrills and Busch could do a lot to improve the theming. It would also allow them to do a multi-park ticket with Sea World similar to the Multi-tickets available here for the Florida parks.

• Minion

Here's a link to The Los Angeles Times article. Rowdy teens are named as a big part of the problem:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...-home-business

• Closed Account

If I have to say this one more time, I think my head will explode!!!!
    GANGS HAVE NOT TAKEN OVER THE PARK!!!! For the past year and a half that I have worked there, there was only one incident, which was between two large groups of people. REGULAR GUESTS WERE NOT INVOLVED! Not once has there been an incident where any of our family park guests have felt compromised. If you are not a gang member, you should worry. Gangs are everywhere in this world, so if you don't want to be around gangs, boycotting Six Flags is not really the way to go...you should be boycotting planet Earth.

(DEEP SIGH)

Alright, feeling better now.

Now, as I sat at my computer reading the link, I could help but shaking my head through the whole report. IMO, that is a very bad move if SF sells off Magic Mountain. I am shocked because, I almost feel betrayed. Why, you may ask? Let's revisist the Mark Shapiro visit from this past January at SFMM. He personally stated that there were two parks in the company that were the biggest money makers: SFMM, and another one that I can't remember. There is an internal rumor that SFMM helps support and keep open some of the less succesful parks, giving them some of our profit. Don't know if it's true.
    On a personal note. Since the change in management, the park atmosphere has improved from what it was. Ofcourse, it is nowhere near 100%, changes won't be seen overnight. But something is working, and it isn't just Tatsu that is filling up our parking lot almost everyday. With characters every 10 feet, a few nice new shows and parades, and maybe one or two more smiles or positive experiences with employees, I swear it is starting to turn around. I can't help but almost take it personally, a slap in the face. "Yeah, we are trying to changing the face of the company, but your not working out Magic Mountain, so were going to have to let you go."
    A BIG MISTAKE.

And like previously stated. I HIGHLY DOUBT that the park would be bulldozed just for the land. It is already a well established park.

• Closed Account

Facing mounting losses and declining attendance, Six Flags wants to reduce its $2.1 billion in debt by selling parks in Buffalo, N.Y.; Denver; Seattle; Houston; and Concord, Calif., in addition to Magic Mountain.
    LA TIMES ARTICLE

What is left for them to make a profit on? Six Flags is being dismantled???

Unruly behavior by the teens, who gravitate to the giant dips and turns of Magic Mountain's 17 roller coasters, have driven families away from the theme park, Shapiro said.

"Once you burn Mom, she is not rushing back," Shapiro said.
    Sounds like he is giving up to me.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    And just FYI ... this isn't something that will happen ANYTIME soon ... IF it does happen.

First of all Six Flags hasn't even decided if they will put the parks up for sale yet. They are just considering it, so it may not happen.

Second, an independent buyer or another park chain could buy the park.

Six Flags stock went down 19% today after the announcement ... I don't think it will happen.
    It went down because 1. attendance is down 14% (partially due to closures of Six Flags NO) and 2. they are indanger in defaulting in, I think, 1.4 billion in loans because of that drop in attendance.

The anouncement of the sale was to placade shareholders...

-----

This is why Cedar Faire was treading dangerous taretory by securing 2 billion in the deal to purchase Paramount Parks.

-----

MM is the jewel of this offering... I doubt it would be torn down for housing... It is just the one park that doesn't fit Six Flags current business model...
    Check out my other blog:

• Iron-Clad Allie

CEO Mark Shapiro put forth a valiant effort in his attempt to pursuade corporate owner CBS to invest more in operations, theming, non-thrill ride family attractions, etc. He even brought over former ESPN executive and buddy Mike Antinoro to head up the new marketing and entertainment division. CBS is to blame for failing to finance park management's plans to increase the magic at Magic Mountain and turn it around.

The only Six Flags park that is more than a themeless and glorified carnival is Marine World. Unfortunately, MM has become a popular hangout for adolesent troublemakes. This I do blame on management. They should have discouraged the hoodlums from adding yet another element to the park that has made it unsavery for families. They might as well dub it Six Flags Gangsta Mountain.

Xharryb's suggestion would be awesome concerning the possibility of Busch purchasing Magic Mountain and turning it into a West Coast Busch Gardens. A multi-park ticket would likely increase the performance and popularity of both parks, ten fold.

Another corporate entity that could revitalize the park is General Electric - owner of Universal Studios. An Islands of Adventure California component would be a dream come true to IoA lovers such as myself. Here again the massive possibilities of a multi-ticket would be self-evident. They could even incorporate some of the Universal Orlando rides into it that they can't fit into UH, and perhaps call it Universal Mountain of Adventure.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-23-2006 at 02:18 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Circle of Ancients

Okay, more thoughts.

WRS28220 ... I have been defending the non-ganster aspects of SFMM for awhile. Yes there USED to be gang problems there but it's not as bad as it once was. But this isn't a gang issue ... it's a wanabe gang issue.

Shapiro is right ... SFMM has become a hang-out for teens that don't spend money. Do I think they should just get rid of the park??? NO WAY.

Honestly, they can do a few things to alleviate the "hang-out" mentality of the park.

1 - Remove some coastes. That's right. I'm a coaster enthusiast and I LOVE coasters ... but less coasters means less teens.

I honestly think the park could do okay with about 10 - 12 coasters. I'd say remove X, Scream, Deja Vu, Psyclone, Flashback and possibly Riddlers Revenge. There are plenty of other parks that could use the coasters and those aren't really that use the SFMM Landscape and could be placed anywhere.

2. With the space they save from taking out those rides put in some family rides. They don't have to be high dollar rides, just more rides that families can ride TOGETHER.

Some examples:

Family Coaster:

Ferris Wheel:

Disko:

Even an inexpensive dark ride:
    http://www.sallycorp.com/

If they did those things it would INSTANTLY change the mentality of SFMM and make it a family park. And all that would cost considerably less than a main coaster.

Example: Six Flags Over TX got 10 new "Family" rides this year (mostly imports from Six Flags Astroworld). Their attendance has gone up more percentage points this year than it did when they opened their last big coaster.

3. SFMM is Six Flags ONLY year-round park. The other parks are all seasonal. That means that from November to March or April SFMM is their ONLY source of income.

4. Regarding what park chains could/would/should buy SFMM.

- I can't see Cedar Fair buying it because Knott's is just too close and they are more interested in the Paramount parks.

- Busch is an option. As was said before they could easily package Magic Mountain and Sea World as a package as they do with Busch Gardens Tampa and SW Orlando. But the park would need ALOT of work to get it up to Busch standards.

- One chain nobody has mentioned yet is Herschend Family Entertainment. They own Silver Dollar City and Celebration in Branson, MO. Silver Dollar City is the sister park to Dollywood. I really think they could also do good things with SFMM and it would give them a presence out of the markets they are in now.

Honestly, I can't see the park getting demolished. There is nowhere else you can put Tatsu. It uses the geography of SFMM too much. They aren't just going to throw away a $35 million investment. Same with Gold Rusher, Ninja and Revolution. You can't just put them somewhere else.

There is just WAY too much history in that park.

My gut is that they just threw out SFMM with the other 5 to see what the reaction would be. I can totally see the other 5 going (as well as some others) but not SFMM.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 06-23-2006 at 10:03 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast