Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Six Flags Great America promotion - Eat a live cockroach, get a free Flash Pass

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/21/eat....ap/index.html

Why wait in line when you can just eat a cockroach?

That's the question Six Flags Great America is asking thrill seekers during a Halloween-themed FrightFest. The amusement park is daring customers to eat a live Madagascar hissing cockroach in exchange for unlimited line-jumping privileges.

The promotion, which has Lake County Health Department officials shaking their heads, starts October 7.

Anyone who chows down the entire 2- to 3-inch horned cockroach gets a pass for four people to cut to the front of ride lines through October 29.
    Park officials insist it's safe to eat the crunchy critters, but health officials are cautioning participants.

Consuming live roaches might increase risks of gastrointestinal illness and allergies, according to Bill Mays, Lake County Health Department's community health director.

Cockroach eaters will have to sign waivers and still pay admission fees, said Six Flags spokesman James Taylor.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Banned User

Re: Six Flags Great America promotion - Eat a live cockroach, get a free Flash Pass

Cockroach eaters will have to sign waivers and still pay admission fees, said Six Flags spokesman James Taylor. so you just get to line jump, no way this is gross!!! now if they tyhrew in the park tickets and jumping priviliages some guy might do it ( not me in a million years) but just to go a head of lines, gee you have to be an idiot!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Six Flags Great America promotion - Eat a live cockroach, get a free Flash Pass

Hey, Flash Passes for 4 cost real money, it is a value of over $60.

Heck, they serve beer at SFGA, so I would do it

•   
    • Minion

For a company that has animal theme parks... I find this promotion appalling.
    Check out my other blog:

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Heck, they serve beer at SFGA, so I would do it
    Adda Boy DarkBEER.

• Banned User

yeah, I want to see pics of you doing it Dave, go for it !!! Please I just have to see you eat a hissing cocroach

•   
    • So fetch

• Vehicle rotating backward

I guess Six Flags has decided that they haven't insulted their customers enough yet.

Six Flags spokesman James Taylor.
    'Cause I'm goin' to Carolina in my mind.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

PETA isn't happy....

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/n...AGS_S10923.htm

In a letter dated Friday and addressed to Great America General Manager Hank Salemi, Vergerio described the concept as "barbaric" and wrote that PETA asks "that you consider the cruelty associated with this promotion and either cancel it or replace it with a harmless alternative."

"As a corporation that owns animal theme parks, Six Flags has no business encouraging the inhumane treatment of any animal," the letter states. "Presumably, the cockroach was chosen for this 'gag' because of the species' extremely negative image. However, this much-maligned invertebrate possesses keen senses, is quite docile, and has an amazing evolutionary history.

"Every creature on earth is ideally suited to its purpose, whether we know what that purpose is or not. It is unlikely that the purpose of Madagascar hissing cockroaches is to serve as appetizers for an unimaginative marketing scheme."

Great America Public Relations Manager Jim Taylor said Friday that he had not received the letter or heard of any animal-rights protests over the event, but he added that cockroaches are essentially no different from any other animal used as food in the park.

"It is important to point out that cockroaches do provide nutritional value. (They) are high in protein and they have no fat," Taylor said. "They are a common part of a lot of other diets in the world, (and) we do eat some things in this part of the world that might be frowned upon in other parts of the world."

Vergerio also questioned the practice of staging live bug-eating in front of children, writing that "Six Flags is meant to be a safe place for family fun, not a place to teach children insensitivity to animals of that 'might makes right.'"

Taylor said that the cockroach eatings are "not going to be forced on anybody," and he noted that Fright Fest will have two designated children's areas and a general theme that he described as "family by day, fright by night."

Taylor also pointed out that Great America and the other Six Flags parks staging the contest during their Fright Fests will not be the first to do so Wild Waves & Enchanted Village, a Six Flags-owned park in suburban Seattle, had the same eat-and-ride promotion at its 2005 Fright Fest.

"Seattle tried it," he said, "and they actually ran out of cockroaches."

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

PETA isn't happy....
    When are they?

• Banned User

I would do it.. I've had cricket lollipops..

I think this is going to give me nightmares.

As nasty as I think roaches are, I don't think they deserve this. Not quite with the PETA group, but I do understand.

Yuck.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla View Post
    Cockroach eaters will have to sign waivers and still pay admission fees, said Six Flags spokesman James Taylor. so you just get to line jump, no way this is gross!!! now if they tyhrew in the park tickets and jumping priviliages some guy might do it ( not me in a million years) but just to go a head of lines, gee you have to be an idiot!
    Poor James Taylor. He's seen fire and he's see rain, now he's seeing people eat cockroaches. His career is in the toilet.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    Poor James Taylor. He's seen fire and he's see rain, now he's seeing people eat cockroaches. His career is in the toilet.

• The Twilight Zone

Wow

they sure do want the promotion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast