Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Grumpy old man

Re: Six Flags dumps Marine World

Quote Originally Posted by lisaboo View Post
    I don't know, the new name Discovery Kingdom feels like they are ripping off Disney. Just my feeling on the matter.

I remember when the full name used to be Marine World Africa U.S.A. That was a looooong time ago. I haven't been in six years and only went because I got free passes.
    I miss that name, and the old sign that combined a bunch of animals into one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    http://www.sixflags.com/parks/discoverykingdom/

http://www.sixflags.com/parks/discov...des/index.html

For those interested, here are two link to the new website for the park. The first is the main page. the second shows the highlights of the new land, sea and sky theme.

At least they fixed the site to say Vallejo again, it used to say San Francisco.

If I somehow get a hold of some cheap tickets, I'll make my way there for the first time in 5 years. But I'm not paying full price to get in.

•   
    • Minion

Here is my take on it, as I too live in Vallejo:

The park had an identity problem... It either needed to be Marine World or a Six Flags park... For a long time the two things didn't mesh - you had a thrill park image comming in from corporate, and an animal park that had been around for over 45 years which had always had it's ups and downs.

I am not surprised that Shapero decided to rebrand the park, because both Six Flags and Marine World had brand (also brain) damage.

Yes, the park is owned by the City of Vallejo - and is attached at the hip to the Solano County Fairgrounds across the street.

They still have a bucket load of marketing problems, that I am still tiffed about. 1. They need a gift card program that people can purchase at local supermarkets. This will boost sales by the locals... 2. Work with Vallejo and Napa Valley transit to promote easy transportation to the park... Include animal saffari bus covers.

(Oh and PirateMickey - as a Vallejo-un I still would go to an SF Churro company - this is not like the Santa Clara - San Francisco 49ers, or the Oakland A's of Fremont... City naming issues is becoming Goddamn Ridiculous in the Bay Area right now...)
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

Also Vallejo has a suspension bridge... It's very pritty...
    Check out my other blog:

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Well, I've been having serious issues with replying to this thread. Heck the title almost made me cry! I thought it meant Marine World was closing for good! Thank God it's not! Anywho, Marine World was a VERY big part of my life growing up. I would go practically every weekend and hang out in the Lorikeet Aviary, watch the shows, and then when they came in, ride the rides. I made many friends and learned quite a bit from that place.

I knew the moment Dinosphere was put in and the Walkabout was shrunk down it wasn't looking good. And we won't even begin on Popeye's Seaport. Good kid rides, yes, but I liked the older playground that was sponsored by KTVU better.

Then came the take over from Premier and Six Flags. With that kind of cash coming into the park they had a lot of potential. Heck, they even took a Disney route, kind of, and removed the parking lot for expansion. However, that was done so incredibly poorly that the entrance then was shoved all the way in the back and only accesable by a tram. Bad planning if you ask me.

I've been on the fence for the past few years as to what should be done with the park. Should the animals be sent to actual LEGIT animal parks and let Six Flags finally have their way and do what I know they want to do (close it down or make it completely filled with rides and no animals), or should it just remain the mixture it is? The answer frankly is, "I don't know."

I have very fond memories of the park, its animals, and its people. I always dreamed of one day working there, but it just never worked out (probably 'coz I live in Santa Rosa - an hour away.)

In the end I am sad to see the remaining fragments of the parks original name fading away into the sunset. I just hope that the future looks good for my beloved second home. It will be a sad day in my life if Marine World, and yes it will always be Marine World Africa U.S.A. to me no matter what Six Flags wants to brand it as, ever closes. But, such is life. With life there is death, and with death there is life.

I love you Marine World Africa U.S.A. Thank you for having been there for me as I was growing up and helping to shape where I went in life.

Love,
    Joe
    Last edited by Quacky4Donald; 01-27-2007 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Adding...

• Grumpy old man

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound View Post
    Here is my take on it, as I too live in Vallejo:

The park had an identity problem... It either needed to be Marine World or a Six Flags park... For a long time the two things didn't mesh - you had a thrill park image comming in from corporate, and an animal park that had been around for over 45 years which had always had it's ups and downs.

I am not surprised that Shapero decided to rebrand the park, because both Six Flags and Marine World had brand (also brain) damage.

Yes, the park is owned by the City of Vallejo - and is attached at the hip to the Solano County Fairgrounds across the street.

They still have a bucket load of marketing problems, that I am still tiffed about. 1. They need a gift card program that people can purchase at local supermarkets. This will boost sales by the locals... 2. Work with Vallejo and Napa Valley transit to promote easy transportation to the park... Include animal saffari bus covers.

(Oh and PirateMickey - as a Vallejo-un I still would go to an SF Churro company - this is not like the Santa Clara - San Francisco 49ers, or the Oakland A's of Fremont... City naming issues is becoming Goddamn Ridiculous in the Bay Area right now...)
    It's nice to see a fellow Vallejoian on here

You are absolutely right about the identity crisis they were having, still are. I don't think the two can really co-exist that well together. Just look what happened when Premier first started putting on coasters, the animals couldn't take it. It's very hard to mix the thrills of a Six Flags park and calmness that was Marine World when it was an animal park.

I wouldn't mind a place called San Francisco whatever in Vallejo. I'm more upset about people saying they are in SF when they are in Vallejo, it just doesn't make any logical sense to me.

Carquinez is a very nice bridge, very unique too (for non-Vallejoians, one direction is an "erector set" steal beam birdge and the other direction is a very fancy new suspension bridge). Love going over it at night with it all lite up and the C&H sign going.

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

Wow theres a lot more MiceChatters that are in the Bay Area than I thought yay.

So I havent ever been to a Six Flags park in my life yes its sad or a good thing?I have been to DLR , WDW, PGA and Marine Wolrd before Six Flags took over... but I'v heard stories about bad guests plaging the park and stuff like that is SFDK the same as the stories Iv been hearing or is it actully pleasant like a family crowd? Thanks for any help.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nemofinder22 View Post

So I havent ever been to a Six Flags park in my life yes its sad or a good thing?I have been to DLR , WDW, PGA and Marine Wolrd before Six Flags took over... but I'v heard stories about bad guests plaging the park and stuff like that is SFDK the same as the stories Iv been hearing or is it actully pleasant like a family crowd? Thanks for any help.
    I haven't been to Marine World recently... I simply haven't had a desire, because it haddn't changed that much from the mess of a park that I remember it being... Zero theming, just color zones that are inegmatic and pointless...

I loved the old park with the zafari feel... It just didn't translate to the new park...

The thing that I will credit Six Flags for doing recently is creating interactivity between people and the animals in the park. I am a little concerned about it, from a safety issue - but all in all it is a good thing.

I am encoraged by a possable retheme of Earth Water Air... I don't, however know if 16 million dollar make over is going to help - because some of it has to go into marketing...

I am encouraged about it being year round. I know people who work at the park, and it would be good for many of them to count on a full time job.

I do know my Aunt takes her kids (who are pre teens) to the park, and has nothing awful to say about the place, they have season passes... I mean they know it isn't Disney, but it costs too much for the whole family to travel from Napa to Anaheim - Vallejo is less than 20 min away...
    Check out my other blog:

The thing that I will credit Six Flags for doing recently is creating interactivity between people and the animals in the park. I am a little concerned about it, from a safety issue - but all in all it is a good thing.
    I don't get how you can give Six Flags the credit for that. Marine World was doing that long before Six Flags came into the picture. There's the Lorikeet Aviary where you can feed the birds right from you hand; get kissed by one of the orcas; walk next to kangaroos; come face to face with a sea lion; pet and hand feed giraffes; take elephant rides; meet up with an orangatan; etc. The list goes on an on. All of those were Marine World Africa U.S.A.'s doing, not Six Flags. The only animal extention thing that I can even remotely give credit to Six Flags for is the Dolphin Discovery program, and the penguins. But I hardly call that a massive improvement in the animal interacting.

...Joe...

• Grumpy old man

Quote Originally Posted by nemofinder22 View Post

Just like cellarhound, I haven't been there in a long time. But as I remember it, and from opinions via friends who work there (Marine World is a big employer of high school students in Vallejo), it doesn't attract a horrible crowd. Think of the horror stories you hear of Magic Mountain, none of that goes down in Marine World, even if it is a hop and a skip from one of the worst areas of town.

A lot of teens do hang out there though, at least last I heard. They could've all migrated to the movie theater.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Toad View Post
    A lot of teens do hang out there though, at least last I heard. They could've all migrated to the movie theater.
    Flashback...

Images of teens on a friday night playing craps by the outside west wall of the movie theatre in Vallejo...

Uh, yeah, I would stay away from the movie theatre on a friday or saturday night... It gets a little scary... But the theatre does use extra security measures. But durring the day, and on a normal week day night its fine...
    Check out my other blog:

Just a quick update on Discovery Kingdom, it appears as though they are one of the first parks that is adding a Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends themed area. It's supposed to be announced on Feb. 28th.

There's a link to the newspaper article that covers this, some season pass issues, and more on here:

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com

Mike
    Amusement and Themed Industry News And Notes:
    NewsPlusNotes

• Banned User

Why did the city make them change Vertical Velocity? Also, when was Great America's Tidal Wave over at SFMW? I miss the Tidal Wave!

Anyone remember the Tiger Rapids Water Park (I think that was what it was called, I know it was Tiger something) when Marine World Africa USA was in Redwood City?

I had a blast there in the summer of 1982!

The new Cariquinez Strait bridge.....

• Grumpy old man

Vertical Velocity was too tall according to Vallejo city ordinances on structure height, at least that's what I've heard. It was cool looking when that end went straight up, now it kind of looks deformed.

Vertical Velocity was too tall according to Vallejo city ordinances on structure height, at least that's what I've heard. It was cool looking when that end went straight up, now it kind of looks deformed.
    Wow, I never knew that was the reason. I guess I'm very lucky for having had the chance to ride it when it was "right."

...Joe...

• When Will It Return?

One good thing came about from that though. V2 went from being a clone to a unique Impulse. I liked how the spike became an inversion after just being a vertical twist.

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast