Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• off in lala land

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    Yes, it was Marriot's Great America way back when.
    It was a much better park IMO when it was Marriot's Great America. It didn't seem to be as commercialized as now. It still doesn't hold a candle to our beloved tho.
    ...it's been a long time.

• Minion

I agree, Great America was such a better park under Marriott, Paramount has pretty much destroyed what used to be a really nicely themed and landscaped park. Now the Illinois park run by SF, hands down one of the best and most amazing regional theme parks in the country!

Been to almost all the SF parks in the US, mixed bag, but SFMM is definitely one of the more run down and neglected parks in the chain. SF seems to think that just throwing in a new coaster every other year is all the park needs. Sad to see how run down the park looks now and how many rides classic rides stand inopperable. I've yet to see the same at other SF parks, SFMM seems to be the only park with major attractions permanently closed for no apparent reason other than the funds to rehab the rides(doubt the Sky Tower, Monorail and Flashback will ever run again).
    "I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again..."- Bart Simpson

• Skipping on Main Street

Under the stairs at Main St. train station
    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Question: Do people who have been to other Six Flags parks across the US of A...are the other parks as trashed and poorly themed as the LA version?

Ahhh beleive it or not I was The security supervisor for their Concord water park for 2 years.....yes it is that bad and sometimes worse at the smaller parks...alot of gang style activity...theft etc I left the company because they discrminate like crazy and would support my manager as he would fire my african american guards and attempt to harrass me because of 1) I was a woman and 2) a lesbian...but that is another story all in itself and I could spend an entire day blasting my former employer
    Well Secluded, I see all!!!

Disney Paranormal Society

•   
    • Minion

Alright... My take on the Marine World thing...

It was a great park when it was a privately held park in Redwood City, this was back in the 70's... It even had waterslides before they became a popular second gate addition down in So. Cal... I mean, what Marine World was trying to do was pretty innovative for the time...

Then they lost their lease with the City...

That was when the excrement hit the air conditioning...

Now there is very little theming or imagination to what essencially was a terrific animal park... The roller coasters sort of invaded the space which always needed a better lay out... To tell you how bad the newer park layout was themed: The land is devided into color zones...

Fortunately my sources say that they are looking at re-marketing the park... They built a million dollar dolphin encounter exhibit instead of a new coaster...

It may be too little too late... I think the park needs to rekindle the magic it had way back in the Redwood City days... When the park was about animals...

But animal rights groups in the Bay Area have been hammering the park... The public really doesn't understand what Marine World has to do with the Six Flags brand... And there has been mass identity crisis with the park for years...

I am hoping it will get better... But the folks down in Texas who own the property, need a clue about how to run an animal theme park... And that creepy dancing old dudes are not going to help make this turnstile click..
    Check out my other blog:

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey
    I should have clairified that. Since GC and I live in the Nor Cal area I was taking it for granted about Great America (Santa Clara) in our neck of the woods.
    I don't know much about non-Disney parks. I've never paid much attention to them. I hear they're out there, though.

I've been to 17 Six Flags parks. SFMM is amongst the worst run, but as a whole they are terribly run (Six Flags Inc is 6 billion dollars in debt), have terible staff, and horrible operations. Some of the "better" run ones are SF Great America and SF Great Adventure. Georgia isn't terrible as well.

But, I will take ANY Cedar Fair, Paramount, or Disney park over the best Six Flags park. And I would take one visit to Holiday World, Knoebels, Kennywood, or Cedar Point over 10 visits to every Six Flags operated park in the world!

• Circle of Ancients

^ I would MUCH rather visit SFOT, SFOG, SFFT or SFAW over Knott's. But, that's just my opinion.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot
    ^ I would MUCH rather visit SFOT, SFOG, SFFT or SFAW over Knott's. But, that's just my opinion.
    I have only been to SFOG.. but since i was so young i dont remember it...

I have never been to any other SF park.....

I hope to revisit SFOG soon.... maybe next year...

• Minion

I am hoping it will get better... But the folks down in Texas who own the property, need a clue about how to run an animal theme park... And that creepy dancing old dudes are not going to help make this turnstile click..
    Actually, SFMW is one of the few bright spots in SF's attendance drought, one of the few parks that is actually turning a profit for them. Granted they don't own the park yet, but compare to SF's other parks, is doing pretty good and attendance continues to improve every year.

If anything, I feel SF has improved the theme at SFMW. The park was already poorly themed when they moved to Vallejo, long before SF came into the picture. And other than the coasters, every single flat ride is whimsically themed to either a jungle or ocean theme, blends in perfectly with the slight jungle/ocean theme of the park and breaths new life into what was a park on the verge of closing down for good. It's no Disney by any stretch of the imagination, but compare to another certain "theme" park an hour away, which just slaps up cheap stripped down unthemed carnival rides, and would never ever consider adding large expensive world class coasters like SFMW does, SF is doing a pretty good job at SFMW IMO.

After years of being behind the times, it's just nice to have a park in the Bay Area that brings the big thrills that other parks across the country have been adding for years. I agree the Redwood City park was much better themed, but for what it is, I for one sure am happy SF came to the rescue and saved SFMW from being just another shopping mall or condo complex.
    "I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again..."- Bart Simpson

• Banned User

Six Flags Great America was one of my favs. Though more recently they've been paying no attention to theming and building roller coasters left and right. I used to live 20 min away, so it was a monthly (sometimes weekly) stop in the summers.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jomo
    After years of being behind the times, it's just nice to have a park in the Bay Area that brings the big thrills that other parks across the country have been adding for years. I agree the Redwood City park was much better themed, but for what it is, I for one sure am happy SF came to the rescue and saved SFMW from being just another shopping mall or condo complex.
    Nah... The City of Vallejo would have kept the land part of the Fair Complex... Maybe turned it into a municipal or county run zoo or something... Which would have likely had it's own problems...

If it is one thing they are not short of in that area it is housing or shopping...

I still think it is trying to opporate a full scale thrill based theme park on a postage stamp piece of land... But the grander history of Marine World Africa USA behind the park could add to the marketing strategy...

People remember that park... But it is a Kid's park... Not really a teen's park... The coasters just don't have the flair or originality, just cookie cutter offerings...

There are so few parks around of that type in the Bay Area... Amusement parks that once were but are no more... Like Frontier Village, Santa's Village, and (long before them) Playland...

At least the Circus Trees have been saved by Bonfaire Gardens... (What an unlikely place to have a theme park too...)

Despite it all, I still love the SC Boardwalk... One of the last of the old fashion carosels where you can grab a brass ring and hit a target... And there is nothing more thrilling than the back seat of Giant Dipper on a hot day... It's a dying breed...
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

Not too sure bout that, lakeside/freeway accessible property would be too valuable to leave as just a park/zoo. That was the problem with the pre-SF park, no one was returing and they were in the red every year. Like so many other places in the land locked Bay Area, if it did close, land is so much more lucratic as a strip mall or housing, so I couldn't see it continuing as just a money pit animal park for Vallejo.

But I agree there are some serious space issues, which SF is trying to address before they make the final purchase of the park. Doesn't look too good for them though as the City seems to already have plans for the fairgrounds which doesn't include parking for SFMW. I also don't like the way all the coasters are all crammed up front, but I've heard it was necessary to keep the loudest rides as far away from the land animals as possible.

I also miss Frontier Village (worked there during their last summer ), and also consider SCBB the best Bay Area park. Nothing else like it left on the West Coast, definitely a gem that I hope is around for another +80 years!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    And that creepy dancing old dudes are not going to help make this turnstile click..
    Must...resist...singing...and...dancing...
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

And that creepy dancing old dudes are not going to help make this turnstile click..
    Actually, the marketing campaign worked VERY well last year and attendance was up at alot of the parks, without adding new attractions. If it's still working this year is anybody's guess, but Mr. Six did get a coaster named after him.

There's a Six Flags in Denver but don't remember the name of it???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast