Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Re: Girl's Feet Severed on Maliboomer-style Attraction at Six Flags Park

What a horrific story. That poor girl.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    But....both of those rides, and Maliboomer use a cable. If a cable can snap on one, a cable can snap on another....or TOT. It's in theory possible on a lot of rides/coasters. Would it result in the same outcome? Probably not, but those cables, if snapped could cause serious injury or death. (See cable snap episode of Mythbusters)
    "Superman Tower of Power" is present in multiple Six Flags parks. However, the attractions have been made by different manufacturers.

Intamin AG created the Kentucky attraction while S. & S. Power is responsible for the Texas version, as well as the Maliboomer. So, if this accident happened to be caused by a design defect, it's unlikely that the S. & S. attractions would possess the same problem. However, Six Flags would be wise to close all the "Superman Tower of Power" attractions in an abundance of caution and out of respect for the victim of this tragedy.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 06-22-2007 at 05:42 AM.

• Banned User

OMG thats the worst thing !! That poor child, what a horific thing to happen this is extremly sad

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Wow, how horrible! That poor girl, I hope they managed to reattach her feet.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    But....both of those rides, and Maliboomer use a cable. If a cable can snap on one, a cable can snap on another....or TOT. It's in theory possible on a lot of rides/coasters. Would it result in the same outcome? Probably not, but those cables, if snapped could cause serious injury or death. (See cable snap episode of Mythbusters)
    I don't think much would happen on TOT. All the riders are protected more or less from the elevator that is around them.

• I HAVE A HIDDEN MICKEY

one more reason to take that hideous ride out of our park.

poor girl, you go to a theme park to have the time of your life and this happens. absolutely terrible.
    Did you know that 87% of spoken statistics are made up on the spot?

• Senior Minion

Re: Accident at Six Flags

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey View Post
    Wow, that is shocking. A cable detached her feet. I feel bad for this poor girl.

I wonder if all the other rides that are similar to this type of ride will be closed.
    Drop Zone at King's Island was closed as a precaution and might still be.
    Press today is so concerned with cool vs. not cool that they're starting to forget good vs. bad. I'm not sure I'll ever be "cool", but I will always tirelessly strive to be "great". - Josh Groban

Re: Accident at Six Flags (merged threads)

I feel for this young lady and her family, I hate to see any kind of accident like this happen.

While I have not had the opportunity to inspect the ride system of Tower of Terror I do not believe it uses cables to lift and drop the elevators. I also know some of the Maliboomer type rides do not use cables. I believe on ToT they use electromagnets to control the drop sequences, I have seen open tower rides use the same type of system also. Cables work strait up and down fairly well, they do wear out and can break with devistating effects as we all have seen. Once you introduce a latteral movement like ToT you wouuld be adding way to much stress on the cables to use them, plus the ToT drops you "faster than gravity" and a cable would flex and not be stiff enough for a push to do this. I normally dont ride Maliboomer when I go to D/L, why, ToT is so much better, I may drop by tomorrow and look at it to see what kind of system it uses just out of curiosity. I will ride ToT tomorrow, probably several times and I wont worry about anything like this happening. If they are using electromagnets like I believe, there is a built in failsafe in case of malfunction that kicks in the magnets and stops the decent, the ride cannot hit bottom.
    Steve

•   
    • Senior Minion

I heard she lost more of her legs than just her feet.

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    I don't think much would happen on TOT. All the riders are protected more or less from the elevator that is around them.
    Of course not....my point was that a lot of rides use cables under serious tension....most drop rides, several launched coasters, etc. Any of them *can* snap and potentially cause serious injury. We saw a bad example of that yesterday. Others would be less likely to hurt someone (TOT, for example) Cable snaps have also occured on the Intamin Rocket coasters before....more than once. (Top Thrill Dragster)

But, yesterday afternoon if you asked me if I thought an Intamin frefall could take off someone's feet I would have said no way!

•   
    • Minion

Cedar Fair has closed all their drop rides made by the same swiss manufacturer... Six Flags who owns the park did as well...

This includes the Drop Zone at Great America...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

That sucks.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by svickersart View Post
    I feel for this young lady and her family, I hate to see any kind of accident like this happen.

While I have not had the opportunity to inspect the ride system of Tower of Terror I do not believe it uses cables to lift and drop the elevators. I also know some of the Maliboomer type rides do not use cables. I believe on ToT they use electromagnets to control the drop sequences, I have seen open tower rides use the same type of system also. Cables work strait up and down fairly well, they do wear out and can break with devistating effects as we all have seen. Once you introduce a latteral movement like ToT you wouuld be adding way to much stress on the cables to use them, plus the ToT drops you "faster than gravity" and a cable would flex and not be stiff enough for a push to do this. I normally dont ride Maliboomer when I go to D/L, why, ToT is so much better, I may drop by tomorrow and look at it to see what kind of system it uses just out of curiosity. I will ride ToT tomorrow, probably several times and I wont worry about anything like this happening. If they are using electromagnets like I believe, there is a built in failsafe in case of malfunction that kicks in the magnets and stops the decent, the ride cannot hit bottom.
    Steve
    I'm pretty sure TOT uses cable. We did a walk through and they took us to where the cable winds and unwinds. The poor girl, what a terrible accident!
    I want my cake back!

• Circle of Ancients

We rode a similar ride at Six Flags Over Texas. If it's the same "Superman Tower of Power". It launches you up like Maliboomer then brings you back to the top and drops you like Supreme Scream at Knott's.

That's really messed up, but you can't blame the manufacturer for problems on a 14 year old ride. Those cables are meant to be replaced periodically. It would be interesting to know when they were replaced. My guess it the beginning of the season which was probably about a month ago.

Some of the quotes from park-goers in that article were kind of odd though

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    That's really messed up, but you can't blame the manufacturer for problems on a 14 year old ride. Those cables are meant to be replaced periodically. It would be interesting to know when they were replaced. My guess it the beginning of the season which was probably about a month ago.
    I don't think they are blaming the manufactrer - they are just erring on the side of safety... Particularly if Cedar Fair is doing this too...
    Check out my other blog:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast