Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Accident at Six Flags (merged threads)

Also, now that I'm seeing the pictures, it is NOT like Maliboomer at all. Totally different manufacturer. Duh.

Maliboomer is S&S and the Intamin Drop tower is like Drop Zone at PGA and others.

The name Superman Tower of Power threw me off because the one in TX has the same name, but is an S&S tower.

Stupid Six Flags and not having any original names for rides.

• Sock Puppet

May heart and prayers go out to her and her family

• Why do you keep talking?

Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    But....both of those rides, and Maliboomer use a cable. If a cable can snap on one, a cable can snap on another....or TOT. It's in theory possible on a lot of rides/coasters. Would it result in the same outcome? Probably not, but those cables, if snapped could cause serious injury or death. (See cable snap episode of Mythbusters)
    Completely different ride sytems, which while both use cables, the mechanics of the rides are VERY different. The cause of the accidernt is yet to be determined.

Quote Originally Posted by DLcastmbr View Post
    the ride looks like a supreme scream or maliboomer type ride trying to think what couldve went wrong. I also wander if they have an organization like cal OCHSA or DOSH overseing them.
    Again, very different ride systems, and while the losing of one's feet is a terrible price to pay, the fact that the car reached the ground after a cable snap says alot about the safety of the ride, This is just a horrible freak accident.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    "Superman Tower of Power" is present in multiple Six Flags parks. However, the attractions have been made by different manufacturers.

Intamin AG created the Kentucky attraction while S. & S. Power is responsible for the Texas version, as well as the Maliboomer. So, if this accident happened to be caused by a design defect, it's unlikely that the S. & S. attractions would possess the same problem. However, Six Flags would be wise to close all the "Superman Tower of Power" attractions in an abundance of caution and out of respect for the victim of this tragedy.
    I don't believe the S&S Tower at SFoT was closed, only the Intamin designed drop towers. As I said, the ride systems are very different even though both utilizes cables.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Golden State of Mind

Re: Accident at Six Flags

Quote Originally Posted by DLcastmbr View Post
    the ride looks like a supreme scream or maliboomer type ride
    Exactly like the maliboomer.

EDIT: not!!!!
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Helmsdad

Question Teen Girls Legs Severed Above Ankle On Ride

Both legs cut off above the ankle.

With the recent Walt Disney World Accident where 5 guests and a CM were injured on Kali River Rapids and the recent Monorail nose cone fiasco I'm wondering...

Could something like this happen again at Disneyland? With the recent rash of theme park mishaps coupled with the history Disneyland itself has with poor attraction maintenence and lack of proper CM training (including several deaths NOT due to guest negligence). Is Disneyland doing EVERYTHING it can to protect it's guests? Any information on ride upkeep or lack thereof will certainly be most helpful during these frightful theme park attraction problem times. Is Supervisor retaliation still a continuing problem for CM's and maintenence people at Disneyland? Do CM's still fear their Supervisor's ability to wreak havoc if problems are reported?

I understand the maintenence people attempted many times to warn Supervisors about the problems with BTMRR and were basically told to shut-up about it. Then a guest was killed on the ride. The maintenence people were afraid of Supervisor retaliation if they went to higher authorities and it cost a young man his life.

This year alone:

June 17, 2007: A Geauga Lake roller coaster in northeast Ohio was closed after an accident where 24 passengers on the Raging Wolf Bobs ride rolled back down a hill instead of going over it. The wooden rollercoaster reaches speeds of 42 mph.
    June 8, 2007: A rollercoaster at Big Splash amusement park collapsed Friday sending an 11-year-old girl, along with a 20-foot-high section of the Master Blaster slide, onto another section of the same slide about two feet below it.
    May 29, 2007: Five Walt Disney World guests and an employee were injured in Florida after the Kali River Rapids ride at Animal Kingdom was evacuated due to technical problems on a steep incline.
    May 27, 2007: The Magnum roller coaster at Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, Ohio, was shut down after an accident where two trains rolled into each other at the loading station. Three people were treated for injuries.
    May 27, 2007: In Dayton, Ohio, three people were injured on a kids' ride at RiverBlast, including a 6-year-old girl and a 10-year-old girl. Witnesses say the ride jolted forward as children were exiting, dragging some along in a circle until the ride was shut off.

All of my children are competition dancers so an accident where a poor unfortunate TEEN girl loses BOTH of her feet and part of her legs above the ankle is a horrifying thought to say the least. No amount of settlement or money can pay for that. She is a young girl and still has the rest of her life to live - now without both of her feet.

I wonder if the fear of Supervisor retaliation somehow factored into this accident like the one at Disneyland a short few years back.

Did I just say that?

• Banned User

Re: Teen Girls Legs Severed Above Ankle On Ride

In all fairness, people have to realize that the sheer number of visitors to national theme parks(which is a high number) compared to the number of accidents is pretty low. I'd bet that your chances of being involved in a serious park accident are probably less than being struck by lightning or winning the lottery.

I know how you feel though, my daughter(7 years old) is a competitive cheerleader and also does dance/jazz/tap, so it would be devastating if something were to happen to her. As far as Disneyland goes, there death/accident list is pretty small considering that there have been over 520 million people to visit the park since it's creation.

• Circle of Ancients

Your kidding right? The fact remains you are about 1000 times more likely to get in an accident backing out of your driveway than at a theme park.

These reports get so much press because they are so rare. Your talking about 5 incidents this year. How many MILLIONS have visited parks this year?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

What was "the nose cone fiasco?" We road in the nose cone yesterday for the first time and had a blast.

Are you referring to the fact that the doors took awhile to open, or did someone get hurt?

• Banned User

I love how though that everyone blows this stuff waaaaay out of proportion...

• Minion

Blog Entries

Does anyone know if Disney shut down Maliboomer yesterday for precautionary reasons...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• Minion

I didnt know the girls got there legs cut off!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by draybook View Post
    In all fairness, people have to realize that the sheer number of visitors to national theme parks(which is a high number) compared to the number of accidents is pretty low. I'd bet that your chances of being involved in a serious park accident are probably less than being struck by lightning or winning the lottery.

I know how you feel though, my daughter(7 years old) is a competitive cheerleader and also does dance/jazz/tap, so it would be devastating if something were to happen to her. As far as Disneyland goes, there death/accident list is pretty small considering that there have been over 520 million people to visit the park since it's creation.
    I agree 100%. Plus I do think Disney does a good job maintaining its rides because it's not all that often they have accidents. Plus, each time there is an accident at Disney doesn't exactly mean it was because of bad maintainence.

• I'm not really here

WDW alone, by itself, gets 42 million visitors a year. Then throw in the 26 million DLR gets, then all the Six Flags, Universal, etc all over the place and you're looking at well around 150 million theme park visitors in a year. Out of that massive number, let's say 20 in a really bad year get hurt (hurt meaning more than bumps, bruises or a scratch). Thats .00001333% or 1 in 7.5 million.

Here are some insurance figures for the odds that you will die because of the following this year:
    Motor Accident: 1 in 6,498
    Assault by Firearm: 1 in 24,400
    Air/Space Transport Accident: 1 in 391,981
    Struck by Lightning: 6,188,298
    http://www.iii.org/media/facts/stats..._sort_735950=3

Sorry to be all gloom and doom, but you actually have a better chance of dying from a lightning strike this year alone than you do of being just injured at a theme park. Accidents do happen, but they do a really amazing job maintaining and keeping those rides up and running safely.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by sixwoofys View Post
    Both legs cut off above the ankle.

... Could something like this happen again at Disneyland? With the recent rash of theme park mishaps coupled with the history Disneyland itself has with poor attraction maintenence and lack of proper CM training (including several deaths NOT due to guest negligence). Is Disneyland doing EVERYTHING it can to protect it's guests? Any information on ride upkeep or lack thereof will certainly be most helpful during these frightful theme park attraction problem times. Is Supervisor retaliation still a continuing problem for CM's and maintenence people at Disneyland? Do CM's still fear their Supervisor's ability to wreak havoc if problems are reported?
    Do you have any evidence to back up your clains that the DL injuries are NOT due to guest negligence statement? I have read many death/injury reports in the past and several of them have been due to guest negligence. I think that cosidering the amount of people that go through the park every day their saftey record is actually pretty good.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Snow_White_Raven View Post
    Does anyone know if Disney shut down Maliboomer yesterday for precautionary reasons...
    The ride with the accident: Intamin Drop Tower

Maliboomer: S&S Space Shot

Two TOTALLY different companies ... Two TOTALLY different rides.

That would be like Disney closing CA Screamin' because Peter Pan broke down.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast