Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MA Reader Since 2003

Re: Six Flags Goes Family Friendly

Some people just see brown folk and automatically think they are gang bangers. A lot of the teenagers dress in the hip hop style that makes them look like little thugs, but they are usually no more dangerous than Whitey Jones in his button down Polo.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by phruby View Post
    My perdiction is someone will die there from either poor ride maintenance, incompentent staff or gang member fights. I would not be sad if that place is turned into a housing development. Six Flags has alot of work to do.
    Disneyland is responsible for more deaths that were the company's fault than Magic Mountain. Magic Mountain is not unsafe.
    Last edited by SpokkerJones; 07-12-2007 at 01:16 AM.

• Santa Barbara, CA

The reputation at Six Flags MM over the years, is the crowd that goes there is rougher, gang orientated crowd. And SF has little supervision over their guests, which allows bad behaviour to go on unanswered. i.e. cutting in line, profanity in front of your kids, evening gang fights, that is not family friendly. that was the sense i got and never went back.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• back to WDW in January

Well, things are definitely looking up for Six Flags according to this latest news report:

Six Flags announced today that surveys conducted during the month of June, the first month of the full-time operating season, show its guest approval ratings continuing to rise, an indication that park guests are responding favorably to the company's renewed focus on a family strategy. The surveys were conducted by independent firm Delta Market Research of Hatboro, Pennsylvania, a nationally-recognized company which has researched all aspects of the theme park industry for companies including The Walt Disney Company. The survey asked guests to rate every aspect of their park experience, from atmosphere, food, rides and cleanliness, to "how do you rate your visit overall," "will you visit the park again this year or next?" and "will you definitely recommend Six Flags to a friend?".
    "The turnaround is in motion at Six Flags and the American family is coming back home," said Mark Shapiro, Six Flags President and CEO. On a scale of 1-10, respondents gave Six Flags its highest scores since 2002

See the complete article here: http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...e,137854.shtml

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tjcjr View Post
    Well, things are definitely looking up for Six Flags according to this latest news report:
    Good news, but time will tell if this lasts.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    The reputation at Six Flags MM over the years, is the crowd that goes there is rougher, gang orientated crowd. And SF has little supervision over their guests, which allows bad behaviour to go on unanswered. i.e. cutting in line, profanity in front of your kids, evening gang fights, that is not family friendly. that was the sense i got and never went back.
    I swear you folks go to a different Magic Mountain than I do.

A Sheriff's substation is by the Main entrance (similar to Universal's substation in Citywalk) and the Anaheim Police Department substation at DtD. I have seen police/sheriffs walk inside the parks of all three, including having side arms.

SFMM has plenty of security, and has a program to prevent line cutting on major rides, which has a SFMM security person had you a numbered ticket when you enter the queue, to prevent folks form jumping or adding friends. Another security person collects the tickets near the loading gates, and they need to be in the correct numerical order. I know of folks getting kicked out of both SFMM and Knott's for line cutting.

Lately, I have seen a lot of folks "cut in line" at the Finding Nemo attraction, yes, some might have been in line earlier and just went to the bathroom, but, at least IMHO, there are groups (usually teenagers, but also adults) that just come up at the last 10 minutes and joins the group, doubling the size, sometimes more.

Never seen a gang fight, or anything like a group of gang members hanging out. Some folks that look like Rap/Hip-Hop fans, yes, but that is a popular fashion for a certain group. But then, I have seen the same type of folks at Downtown Disney on occasion (usually when a band of their liking is playing at the House of Blues).

I have heard more than my fair share of swear words being used while standing in line at Disneyland and DCA (both teenagers and parents/adults).
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    I swear you folks go to a different Magic Mountain than I do.
    Thank you for those great observations.

Magic Mountain is by no means a perfect park. I have plenty of negative things to say about it. But I never feel unsafe there nor am I afraid of other guests.

The focus on families might play a part, but I think it has more to do with policies and enforcement than anything else. I don't think roller coasters attract a dangerous element. Keep in mind Six Flags is in a Los Angeles suburb with many bored teenagers who look to Six Flags as the most exciting thing in the area.

They have made great improvements this season in many aspects of the park. I only hope they last for more than a couple seasons before they return to their old ways.

• back to WDW in January

Angry Re: Six Flags Goes Family Friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Lately, I have seen a lot of folks "cut in line" at the Finding Nemo attraction, yes, some might have been in line earlier and just went to the bathroom, but, at least IMHO, there are groups (usually teenagers, but also adults) that just come up at the last 10 minutes and joins the group, doubling the size, sometimes more.
    Attractions really should have a policy about the entire party being in line for the duration to partake of the ride. Too many times we have been victims of the "line savers" who will sit it out only to have the remainder of the party show up just before getting to the attraction entrance. It is not only annoying but extremely rude and unfair.
    This also happens to us when we are waiting to get into a park especially for early openings. For example, we will be in line behind a couple of folks (where we have waited a substanial amount of time) only to have the family and friends of those folks in front of us show up just before park opening, laughing and joking about sleeping in or having to go get their morning coffee or breakfast first. It's really infuriating.

• Sector Two Droid Repair

Darkbeer, there is a difference between police wandering the parks and getting in lines for riot control. I've never seen thirty police officers outside of Disneyland with full riot gear getting ready to enter the park as I have at MM.

Since none of you have ever been police officers, you would never notice the difference between hiphop teenagers and gang members. I have the training to recognize prison and gang tatoos. The majority of the ruff looking groups where NOT law abiding kids.

Oh another problem with MM is the complete lack of drinking fountains! They purposely hide the drinking fountains so you have to buy soda. This is not a good thing when your walking all over that park in 110 degree temps. At Disneyland and Knotts I can find a drinking fountain pretty much anywhere. MM seems to have one in each of the far four corners of the park.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Since none of you have ever been police officers, you would never notice the difference between hiphop teenagers and gang members. I have the training to recognize prison and gang tatoos. The majority of the ruff looking groups where NOT law abiding kids.

Well I am.

And our last visit there WAS our last visit...

Way too many hard-core gangsters there for my taste. I'm certainly not intimidated by them. Heck, I've put plenty of them behind bars.

I just don't want to spend my vacation/enjoyment time with my family looking at the same hoods that I have to while I'm getting paid.

While taking the family to Marine World (gee...another six flags location), we were standing in line to purchase our tix and I noticed the guy in front of us had some prison tat's on his back and shoulders.

He finished his purchase and turned around to walk to the rest of his party and we ended up standing face to face with each other. I had just arrested him about two weeks prior to that (and a few times before that). A career criminal. His charges this time were assault with a deadly weapon (knife-stabbed his victim), and rape. He was released on bail.

He immediatley knew who I was, and visa-versa. I just looked at him and he looked at me, as he walked to his group. Needless to say, I kept an eye out for him while inside the park for the rest of the day.

And folks wonder why we carry while off-duty...

Sure, crooks can be anywhere. No doubt. I just don't need to be where there is a larger percentage of them. And they are at MM more than the other places, so I won't be. There is nothing there that I want to do that I couldn't do elsewhere.

• Banned User

Oh another problem with MM is the complete lack of drinking fountains!
    Magic Mountain is a much bigger park and it takes longer to get to know where the locations are. I don't think they are hiding them to get you to buy more soda anymore than Disneyland or Knott's is.

• back to WDW in January

Looks like giving props to Six Flags may have been a bit premature.

A third suspect has been arrested in the beating last week of a Marietta teenager just outside Six Flags Over Georgia, authorities said Wednesday. Cobb County police spokeswoman Cassie Reece said Willie Franklin, 17, of Riverdale, was being held Wednesday in the county's Adult Detention Center with a $100,000 bond.
    Franklin punched Joshua Martin with brass knuckles in the July 3 beating, the warrant said.
    Franklin was charged with aggravated battery, battery, simple assault and violation of the Georgia Gang Act.
    Franklin was a seasonal employee at the amusement park, said Christy Poore, manager of public relations for Six Flags. He was not onduty at the park the night Martin was attacked, she said.
    "He has been suspended," Poore said. "We have been cooperating with Cobb County police since the beginning."
    Earlier this week, two other teens, one of them also a Six Flags employee, were arrested in the incident.
    Martin remained in fair condition Wednesday at Grady Memorial Hospital, a spokeswoman said.
    The teenager, his brother, Gerard, and a friend, Devin Antonio Carter, were confronted by 10 to 15 teens as they walked toward a bus stop outside Six Flags. Two of the suspects in the beating said they belonged to a street gang, called Young Gangster Living, according to the arrest warrant.
    Joshua Martin was not able to get away as the teens ganged up on him. His beating was so severe that it left a shoe imprint was left on his forehead.
    Police viewed park video as part of their investigation and expect to make more arrests.

See the complete article and pics here: http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...lags_0711.html

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    I must be really out of the musical loop as of late.... I've never even heard of this band.

But, of course, anything that's labeled as punk-pop is rather scary.

Maybe it's just cause I'm still a bit of a purist when it come to my punk.
    I caught them on a fluke last year when they played with OK Go. Ended up liking them a lot and got a couple of their albums, which are just fun and catchy. I like the fact the singer doesn't scream everything like a lot of these Emo punks do these days. A singer that actually sings... what a concept!

• Banned User

Let me get my $.02 in for a moment.

The only time I ever went to a Six Flags park was Great Adventure a few years ago for a Nintendo Pokemon sponsored promotion. I was in costume dressed as James from Team Rocket (the bad guys in the Pokemon anime) and I had no trouble fitting in because of said promotion. I wasn't even asked by security about removing my costume. Now that was in August of 2001, one whole month before the unfortunate incidents of September 11th.

I understand that security had to be beefed up after that, and that's no big deal. Every theme/amusement park had to increase security after 9/11, so what's wrong here is everyone has been jumping to conclusions on this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12