Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• back to WDW in January

Six Flags Goes Family Friendly

Michael Chapman sat sheepishly beside his two daughters at the Six Flags America concert hall in suburban Largo, Md., recently.
    All around him, a throng of adoring adolescent fans took to their feet, cheering and dancing as the punk-pop group the Plain White T's burst into song.
    The Chapmans are the type of customers Six Flags is trying to lure this summer as the company rolls out a family-friendly image, with attractions intended to appeal to toddlers, teens, moms and dads, as much as to the chain's traditional thrill-seeking demographic.
    This focus on families is perhaps the most visible piece of a turnaround strategy orchestrated by Six Flags Chief Executive Mark Shapiro, who was installed after Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder took control of the troubled theme park company in a 2005 proxy battle.

Complete article here: http://www.poststar.com/articles/200...13007b9b4b.txt

Blog Entries

Re: Six Flags Goes Family Friendly

I haven't visited Six Flags in years mainly because of its reliance on roller coasters. I don't like much of anything more than the mummy at USF as far as extreme coasters go. They really need to add more than just shows for the family as well but several rides that the entire family can ride together.

There are two old Walt quotes that I think every theme park should follow for a successful park. 1. Make sure that a good number of your attractions are things that the entire family can enjoy together. and 2. when designing don't design down to children. Walt believed that children were always reaching and would come up to the level you wanted them to. If you designed down to them then you alienated the adults which is how we got such great attractions that appeal to both adults and children such as pirates and Haunted Mansion.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    I don't like much of anything more than the mummy at USF as far as extreme coasters go.
    The Mummy isn't anywhere near an extreme coaster. It's not that much more intense than Space Mountain.

2. when designing don't design down to children.
    Six Flags isn't going to spend the time or money to design up to children. "Family" rides mean off the shelf, cheap, and lame.

If Six Flags was really in the market to lure families they would build rides that were at least on par with the theming Mine Twain and Log Ride at Knott's.

Six Flags is a coaster park. Stop expecting it to be Disneyland.

• no flash photography...

I like the coasters at six flags magic mountain, but I don't like the types of people the park gets in there. So, i don't go. I haven't been in about 3 years and it's only about 45 minutes form me.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I like the coasters at six flags magic mountain, but I don't like the types of people the park gets in there. So, i don't go. I haven't been in about 3 years and it's only about 45 minutes form me.
    The problems at Six Flags are way overblown. I have seen more fights and line jumping at Disneyland.

• A Pirate's life for me!

"Family-Friendly"

You mean they are now handing out bullet-proof vests in kid sizes???

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    The problems at Six Flags are way overblown. I have seen more fights and line jumping at Disneyland.
    ok, well I have been there and seen the types of people who go. I was not comfortable at all. That was a long time ago on a holiday. the last time we went it was not as bad, but we just bought 4 fast lane tickets, went on those rides and a couple of others that did not have a line and we left pretty early. I think we got hungry and all the food in the park looked like crap. So, we went to one of the many restaurants around the mall.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    ok, well I have been there and seen the types of people who go.
    "Types of people who go" could mean anything.

Did any specific incidents ever happen at a Six Flags park to make you not want to visit or are you just scared away by people who look intimidating to you?

I would understand the former but the latter might be entirely your hang up, and not representative of the people who go to Six Flags.

Six Flags has a bad image, but like the many people here who call Anaheim Anaslime or Anacrime, it is undeserved.

There have been fights, some gang related, at Disneyland. A kid got stabbed in the park once. There are countless stories of fighting, including one, if true, portrayed a cast member punching out a jerk guest in front of the Space Mountain line.

You can go to Disneyland on any busy night and see people fed up, yelling at their children, husband, wife, whatever. What about the Disneyland Locals of the early 90s? Did that scare any of you away from the park?

Whatever their image, Six Flags has been taking steps to clean up the park and has posted countless signs about the rules, regulations, and code of conduct at every entrance. Hopefully this will be backed up by enforcement. Time will tell if it lasts.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

LOL! I find that funny because I've been to Plain White' T's concerts (love them) and know their typical audience is your general teen/young adult Emo-Screamo crowd for the most part. I'm usually the oldest one at their shows besides the parents!

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    "Types of people who go" could mean anything.

Did any specific incidents ever happen at a Six Flags park to make you not want to visit or are you just scared away by people who look intimidating to you?
    well, pretty much past experiences having to do with the same type (the way they look/intimidating) that go there. Yes, maybe it is my hang up, but after getting burned more than once you tend to be a bit cautious.

Also, when my child was younger I really didn't like her seeing young girls dressed far worse than an average hooker walking around the park. The people also seemed more crass and "rough around the edges" than I typically like to be around.

Before this gets turned into a race thing it wasn't one race it was in general the types of people who were there.

I will admit the last visit was not as bad. There were a lot of teenagers. My daughter liked that. She was a teen herself (she still is) We had some fun, but not enough to want to go back.

So, maybe it is getting better, but hat one visit on the holiday left an indelible impression on me.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

My daughter and her hubby took their boys to Six Flaggs Animal Kingdom in Vallejo last sunday. The one is just an infant but the other is almost 3, He LOVED IT! She was pleasantly suprised the park was clean and there was so much for the 2 year old to do that the adults , 3 of them, rode only 2 of the roller coasters. There were 3 themed areas for kids, The new Thomas the Train area, Bugs looney port?, and Teveas Jungle. She said all three had rides themed to the area and rides that both the adults and he could go on. Also at the age he is at he was fascinated by the animals and loved feeding the sea lions, he wanted to pet the giraffe lol.The down side parking 15.00, bottled water 3.00, food was a little high but she felt that there was a wide variety of offerings. They also didnt participate this time but saw that they have a Bugs Bunny character brunch. Maybe six flaggs is on the upswing here.
    Last edited by DISNEYJUNKIE; 07-10-2007 at 08:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Six Flags is a coaster park. Stop expecting it to be Disneyland.
    Then its not a "Family" park. Its aimed at teens and thrill seekers, which is fine, but will be why they continue to lose market share.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    LOL! I find that funny because I've been to Plain White' T's concerts (love them) and know their typical audience is your general teen/young adult Emo-Screamo crowd for the most part. I'm usually the oldest one at their shows besides the parents!
    I must be really out of the musical loop as of late.... I've never even heard of this band.

But, of course, anything that's labeled as punk-pop is rather scary.

Maybe it's just cause I'm still a bit of a purist when it come to my punk.
    -Tim

• Sector Two Droid Repair

As far as I'm concerned, Six Flags has a long way to go to become anywhere near family friendly. I was at Magic Mountain a couple of weeks ago.

The first thing they need to do is remove the metal detectors from the main enterence. Nothing says, anti-family friendly as metal detectors. It just gives you the impression that your not exactly safe here.

Next, remove some coasters and put in some rides families can enjoy together! Magic Mountain is 98% rollercoasters.

Train your park staff on running the rides. For some reason there seemed to be absolutely no supervision of employees "working" the rides. For example, at Freefall we had ten employees. Only two or three of them were working. The others were hanging out, talking and pretty much on breaks. The problem is they took their "breaks" infront of everyone in line and talked on their cell phones disrupting the other employees as they worked. Not good show and potentially extreemly dangerous.

Next turn away potential problem customers. I've been a police officer for years and totally noticed all of the gang signs and gang members in the park. Park staff had to constantly remove gang members for line jumping and causing fights.

Finally, it is not a good sign to see the LA County Sheriff's SWAT team staked outside the park during closing time.

None of these things scream family friendly. They all scream Escape from New York! My perdiction is someone will die there from either poor ride maintenance, incompentent staff or gang member fights. I would not be sad if that place is turned into a housing development. Six Flags has alot of work to do.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• Progressive Disneylander

Six Flags Great Adventure is the one near me and it's just one big thrill ride park. If you want a well-rounded, family park experience then you go to Hershey Park around here.

Because Six Flags caters to the thrill ride audience, it is almost impossible to change the demographic that has been their core audience for so long.

If I were a parent, I wouldn't feel inclined to take my little kids to Six Flags because I wouldn't feel it was the right atmosphere for them -- especially when I could take them somewhere else that is already an established family-friendly park.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast