• 1375 miles away

Six Flags Over Texas

Our family attended the annual Homeschool Day at Six Flags Over Texas on May 8th. Since we have been making an annual trip to Disneyland, it has been several years since we have gone to Six Flags since it tends to pale in comparision. The park did not open for this event until 11:00 am and closed at 6:00 pm so we really had a limited amount of time. As you enter from the turnstiles this is the entry plaza.

My daughter is not a thrill seeker but does love the smaller rides. We spent lots of time on their Silver Star Carousel so I have several shots of it.

They could use a boot repairman.

There were some unique paintings in the center.

There were also some unusual colors on the horses.

This one was having a bad hair day.

A celebrity siting! Both Batman and Superman!

Superman is a really devoted dad!

We saw a few other celebrities....
    Scooby Doo

Bugs Bunny

Daffy Duck

He may be ready for Dancing With the Stars before long.

We were pleasantly surprised to see the park actually in pretty fair condition compared to our last experience. I was prone to notice missing paint and other things that needed attention. One of the train stations particularly needed a carpenter to drive some of the nails back in on the roof. (I would faint if I saw this at Disneyland!)

Scenery from on the train. Mexico!

Okay, I am a slow shot! They do have an Indian Village.

Never saw this before but a nice tribute to Texas' Alamo and a good "Kodak moment" spot.

I somehow think it would look better without the gum wads on the light post.

Everything does come bigger in Texas..... especially the sitting places!

They have added some new fair type rides that take up little spaces. Not really sure what I think of giant boots.

But our guys thought the bull ride was probably one of the funnest things they did all day.

My son is a nut, by the way! He gets it from his father, of course.

We hung out a good part of the time in the Looney Toons area.

My daughter loved riding the kiddie rides and helping the kids smaller than her. This was the SPEEDY GONZALESí Truckiní Across America ride.

They still have the old timey cars or the Chaparral Antique Cars that I remember from way back when. I love their designs and the gas pedal is SOOOOO much easier to push than Autotopia's! Apparently, Henry Ford was a wise man....

I forgot.... I did take my family on one thrill ride.... I DROVE!

Another of my favorite rides from long ago was the log ride, El Aserradero. I spent my time amusing myself in line by annoying my son.

The wait in line was longer than the ride! I don't remember it being that short! Splash is sooooo much better!

Finally! One ride from my memory that is still good. (Well, it was actually even better when it was the Spelunker's Cave but that was eons ago) Now it is Yosemite Sam's Wild River Adventure. IMHO this has got to be one of Six Flags best rides. It is a fun ride, for the entire family and well themed. My apologies for not having better pics. I adhered to the no flash rules of DL.

There's gold on this here ride!

Elmer Fudd is the first character we see.

Sherriff Bugs fills us in on who's going to steal the gold.

Speedy was Bug's deputy.

The Roadrunner kept popping up here and there.

Of course, Wiley Coyote was not far behind. He got caught in his own trap.

Daffy was trying to sell some sort of Texas brew.

Yosemite Sam tried his best to drop a rock on our heads.

The posse discusses how to capture Sam.

Sam blows himself up!

Daffy and Sam have a shootout!

Bugs has a surprise for Sam.

The criminal is brought to justice.

No one in our family likes roller coasters, so sorry guys, no coaster photos. I should feel really bad about not getting any pics too because Six Flags appears to cater to folks that love the thrills. There were probably 3 or 4 new coasters since the last time we were there and it looked like they were working on at least another 2 new ones while we were there this trip.

There were a few other rides we rode but a lot of the day was spent walking. I must say that Walt Disney really knew what he was doing when he designed a central hub that connects to most of the outer lands. I believe we were actually more tired from one day at Six Flags than we would have been from a day at Disneyland. My husband did also make the observation that it was a lot easier to get "home" after a day at Disneyland. The traffic really stunk driving home 2 hours VS. walking across Harbor Blvd.!

So over all... we may go back in a few years but Six Flags in no way generates the excitement that Disneyland does for our family.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-13

Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report November 2010
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1056434199
    Our First Trip to WDW December 2009
    http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...16-2009-a.html
    November 2008 trip report! Updated 1/13/09!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...23-2008-a.html

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Re: Six Flags Over Texas

Cute TR! Looks like fun and your daughter is adorable!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

wow I didn't know six flags had darkride type rides

that's the kinda stuff they need to build for families

I've always heard Six Flags over Texas was one of the better ones I really need to see about making a trip out there sometime

• 1375 miles away

I thought of a few more comments to add. We rode the Mine Train which is similar to Big Thunder Mountain but a bit shorter. I did like the molded seats so you don't slide around like on BTM. Plus your legs had room up under the person in front of you. I would love to see seats like that on BTM! I always slide around on the seats and have no leg room.

I always hear complaints about prices at DL but it was even worse at Six Flags! We got a funnel cake which was over $7.00! And $15.00 for parking!

The park has tons of midway type games. I will say that it is nice that the majority of the games are easy to win and offer nice prizes. We won 2 huge stuffed animals and a smaller one. However, then we had to rent a locker for $17 to stow them in.

My daughter enjoyed seeing some of the Looney Toon characters. We saw Tweety from a distance but missed getting a photo with him. One we DID NOT mind missing was The Joker from Batman. We saw him from the train and let me tell you he was REALLY CREEPY looking. My hubby and son said they watched him sneaking up on and scaring teenage girls. Gee, what a fun guy......
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-13

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Have to laugh, went to the ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney Anaheim today for lunch.

They were showing some All Star Bowling competition from SFSL, they had a two lane alley placed in the parking lot of SFSL, and it was fun to watch the scenes plugging the park while at the DLR....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by mariezp View Post
    One we DID NOT mind missing was The Joker from Batman. We saw him from the train and let me tell you he was REALLY CREEPY looking. My hubby and son said they watched him sneaking up on and scaring teenage girls. Gee, what a fun guy......

now THIS sounds completely cool! it would probably hold me over until Haunt in october

thanks for the TR, lovely photos and a nice read
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Senior Minion

Great pictures, and I have to admit I almost went for buying a cape for myself when I visited the park a few months ago. I have to agree that the prices at that park are way too much.

By the way, did you get to ride La Vibora - I liked that ride a lot!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I got a chance to visit that 6 Flags about 6 years ago, and remember Yosemite Sam's River Adventure. It is definitely a cute ride, and like you said, well themed. Reminds me of something that could have been similar to the once proposed Country Bear Raft Ride.

• 1375 miles away

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    Great pictures, and I have to admit I almost went for buying a cape for myself when I visited the park a few months ago. I have to agree that the prices at that park are way too much.

By the way, did you get to ride La Vibora - I liked that ride a lot!
    No, we didn't get around to riding any big rides. I do remember riding it last time we were there. It isn't really my cup of tea (I'm a whimp.) but was much better than the Texas Giant! That thing leaves you battered and bruised! I had quite a headache afterwards. The Mine Train was the "wildest" ride I got on this time around.

Thanks guys for all the nice comments. It's always fun to share. We did have a pretty good time but I would much rather be at Disneyland.
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-13

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mariezp View Post
    No, we didn't get around to riding any big rides. I do remember riding it last time we were there. It isn't really my cup of tea (I'm a whimp.) but was much better than the Texas Giant! That thing leaves you battered and bruised! I had quite a headache afterwards. The Mine Train was the "wildest" ride I got on this time around.

Thanks guys for all the nice comments. It's always fun to share. We did have a pretty good time but I would much rather be at Disneyland.
    You know, I left the two big coasters for the end of the day. By that time the humidity and exhaustion had gotten to me ... and looking up at the climb on those things ... I wimped out. Not to mention the fact that I was there alone, and was worried that if something happened to me there would be nobody around to help me ... most of all know who the heck I was ... so I decided to call it a day after that.

Thanks for the dark ride pictures.

• Zoinks! Jinkies! Jeepers!

Those are some great pics on a dark ride. Cool to see pics of this park. I've only seen coaster pics.
    "Why do you wear that stupid bunny suit?"-Donnie.... "Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?"-Frank the Bunny.....

• Bucket List Car

Loved your trip report! It's been a couple years since I've been there and I agree with you; that the park needs a hub or something. It's so hard to maneuver and you get lost all the time. I also liked Six Flags in St. Louis. But, of course, nothing beats Disneyland!!

I of course loved the trip report!! I think I'm going to take Wyatt to Six Flags next month. . . won't be anything compared to Disneyland but it's been so long since I was at DL maybe it'll be something. . .