Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Guest decapitaed by Batman: The Ride at Six Flags Over Georgia after hopping fenc

Quote Originally Posted by Tui View Post
    I found this funny, in a morbid sense.

I feel no sympathy for the kid. Those fences and signs are there for a reason. It is terrible for their family to have to lose a member in that way.

I feel even worse for the riders who had no choice but to witness this event. They were forced into a situation.

I wonder how tall the fences are, and exactly how tall they will now have to be after the lawsuit?

Re: Guest decapitaed by Batman: The Ride at Six Flags Over Georgia after hopping fenc

the two fences that the kid climbed over are both six feet tall and had warning signs. I just read another news story that said he was only with one other friend and they both climbed each fence.

I just read an updated news article.

The teenager and a friend left the park to get food. When they came back, instead of going back to the entrance, they hopped the perimeter fence (fence 1). Then, for reasons unknown, jumped the fence surrending Batman: The Ride (fence 2). Both fences are 6 feet tall and in the case of the Batman one, covered in large red signs saying "DANGER Restricted Area".

My opinion: This is ridiculous! What more do you want to do to prevent accidents like this? If 6 feet tall fences and large red signs are not enough, do you need barbed wire? Electrified fences? Large moats filled with water?

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMTFan View Post
    I just read an updated news article.
    My opinion: This is ridiculous! What more do you want to do to prevent accidents like this? If 6 feet tall fences and large red signs are not enough, do you need barbed wire? Electrified fences? Large moats filled with water?
    what they need to prevent accidents is some common sense. (and i'm not talking about the park)

• Animation Domination

Originally Posted by gRuMpEe
    Very sad...but a lesson learned!!!
    Don't go into areas your not supposed to...although a harsh lesson!!
    Yeah, he learned his lesson too late.

• Circle of Ancients

Wow. Talk about insensitivity in this thread. Sure, it was a stupid thing to do, but really. Geez. This fellow was a human being. Show some respect.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I can see a lawsuit brewing if there wasn't sufficient cameras in place for the ride ops to determine the entry and hit an E-Stop accordingly... this is partially what happened with Thunder.
    Hitting an E-Stop button would likely not have done anything. There are some trim brakes towards the end of the circuit, but that is after most of the portions that are lowest to the grounds. The closest place the train could likely have stopped is the station.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I've been to SFOG and ridden that batman. The fences in the area are VERY high, they must have had some help getting over the fence. And there is MAJOR signage in the area about NOT hopping the fence. Unfortunately I have no pictures of the area.
    I believe Six Flags Over Georgia added a lot more signs to the area too after this happened to a custodial employee six years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMTFan View Post
    The teenager and a friend left the park to get food. When they came back, instead of going back to the entrance, they hopped the perimeter fence (fence 1). Then, for reasons unknown, jumped the fence surrending Batman: The Ride (fence 2). Both fences are 6 feet tall and in the case of the Batman one, covered in large red signs saying "DANGER Restricted Area".
    I'm not all too sure I believe this story. They were with a church group from out of state and I would assume they all came in a bus or van. Two kids would likely not have open access to the vehicle. The nearest place to purchase food is a Wendy's down the street (I'm pretty sure the gas station in the parking lot has been closed) , but it is on the opposite side of the park from Batman: The Ride.

What puzzles me the most is that nobody else was injured (Thank God. I cannot imagine what the past six years has been like the girl that was involved last time.). To me that means the deceased was hit by the train itself and not a rider. It was showering on and off today in Cobb County. At Six Flags Over Georgia the B&M's, which includes Batman: The Ride for those unfamiliar with the term, are the first coasters to go online after a rai while Mindbender, the coaster right next to Batman: The Ride, is the very last one. Thinking they could grab stuff while the ride was down may have been a motivator.

The grabbing people story does also seem plausible, but I would think somebody would have said something to an employee. Mostly because the big flaw with my theory above is the load roar that Batman: The Ride makes. The coaster can be heard throughout a good portion of the park. Anybody thinking no trains were running would definitely hear it.

It is going to be interesting to see how Six Flags responds to this incident. This is not the first time that a person has been fatally injured while underneath this particular Batman: The Ride.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

LazyBoy, now that you bring up the church group, can the parents of the deceased sue the church for not protecting their child? I mean, this child was their responsibility during the trip. I'm under the belief that this church was the one they attended. If so, I don't know why they would want to sue their own church, but could they still do it and make a case against the church if they decided to?

• Golden State of Mind

wow
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Kids do stupid stuff all the time. This is just very, very sad. Poor judgement on his part, but some of those rides that come down so low to the ground maybe need to be screened off in a different way. I'm sure they'll have to go through the extra expense of making it practically impossible to gain access to that area after all the law suits have been settled, but if it keeps another thoughtless kid from getting killed, I'm all for it. I can't imagine being the mom or dad....

Wow. Talk about insensitivity in this thread. Sure, it was a stupid thing to do, but really. Geez. This fellow was a human being. Show some respect.
    I don't disagree, I feel really bad for the families loss, but stupid is as stupid does.

Would you feel sorry for me if you told me that if I stuck myself in the eye with a stick it would hurt and I disregarded you and did it anyway?

Too many people ignore reason, and we are supposed to feel sorry for them?! This was completely preventable, as already mentioned the young man learned his lesson too late. The rest of us can learn from his mistake. Don't jump over 6ft fences into restricted areas with heavy machinery.

I trust most of you already knew this.

Quote Originally Posted by sailerm View Post
    Don't jump over 6ft fences into restricted areas with heavy machinery.
    I dunno, some of my favorite places to play as a kid included underneath and around roller coasters

Seriously, I do feel bad for the family for losing a member, but the kid made a fatal mistake. he climbed 2 fences, ignored warning signs, and paid for it.

Just because he was dumb/ignorant/lacked common sense does not mean he is going to garner my sympathy.

I feel much more sorry for the people who had to witness this accident than I do for him.

His family will get a nice settlement from the park to avoid a lawsuit.

What will be needed to make this ride "safe"? 20 foot tall electrical fences? Moats? Maybe some armed guards? My point is when does it end?

The biggest problem is that it is impossible to make anything idiot-proof, because there will always be a bigger and better idiot.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I'm sorry if I sounded insensitive, but I am just so sick and tired of hearing about people losing their lives for the stupidest reasons. I simply wish this person would have asked 6 Flags to retrieve his hat after the ride was closed at night and send it back to him. There is no justified reason for a person to risk their life for a hat.

We hear too many unfortunate stories about deaths that were caused by sheer stupidity, deaths that could have easily been prevented.

It's just too sad to hear stories like this, especially after realizing this death could have been prevented if the kid used reason.

A hat is not worth losing a life over.

The lesson is clear, don't loose your head over a hat. I'm sure wherever he is, he'd be slapping himself in the forehead recalling how stupid he was. That is, if he had a forehead..

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    LazyBoy, now that you bring up the church group, can the parents of the deceased sue the church for not protecting their child? I mean, this child was their responsibility during the trip. I'm under the belief that this church was the one they attended. If so, I don't know why they would want to sue their own church, but could they still do it and make a case against the church if they decided to?
    The deceased's parents were at the park as part of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Kids do stupid stuff all the time. This is just very, very sad. Poor judgement on his part, but some of those rides that come down so low to the ground maybe need to be screened off in a different way. I'm sure they'll have to go through the extra expense of making it practically impossible to gain access to that area after all the law suits have been settled, but if it keeps another thoughtless kid from getting killed, I'm all for it. I can't imagine being the mom or dad....
    The area that these kids entered was quite difficult to access. The park added additional fencing and signage six years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I'm sorry if I sounded insensitive, but I am just so sick and tired of hearing about people losing their lives for the stupidest reasons. I simply wish this person would have asked 6 Flags to retrieve his hat after the ride was closed at night and send it back to him. There is no justified reason for a person to risk their life for a hat.
    He may have asked, and the park may have said no. That said, he would have been warned about losing his hat at the load/unload station. I believe Batman: The Ride still lacks the $1 lockers, but I have never seen (Yes, I know it is anecdotal evidence.) a person not be told it will be lost in my many visits to the park.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast