Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Guest decapitaed by Batman: The Ride at Six Flags Over Georgia after hopping fenc

Somehow, in my head, and in my heart I feel wrong for even reading this thread where this subject is being discussed.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Re: Guest decapitaed by Batman: The Ride at Six Flags Over Georgia after hopping fenc

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    Call us cold hearted all you want. The truth hurts sometimes and we just need to be brutally honest. We all know that curiosity kills the cat and stupidity never pays off.

I feel sorry for the victims family. Don't know why I should feel all that sorry for the kid who decided to kill himself.
    I feel sorry for the kid, because he clearly did not appreciate the risk. It was foolish, maybe even more foolish than any of the foolish stuff I did when I was younger. But it wasn't deserving of the death penalty.

It seems like a lot of people here, in the spirit of the "need" to be "brutally" honest, have taken the position that the guy deserved to die.

No, Charles Manson deserves to die. Osama bin Laden deserves to die. Richard Ramirez deserves to die. This poor kid paid an excessive price for his folly. I feel bad for him and for his family.
    Fight On! Beat the Huskers!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• Circle of Ancients

I think "Deserved" is too strong a word. Of course, the kid didn't deserve his fate just for a single stupid act, but unfortunately sometimes when you make a single stupid act, the consequences could be dire.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    That is clearly where there is a miscommunication in this thread. He did not decide to kill himself. As far as we all know this was not a suicide mission. It was a stupid prank, a stupid teenage dare, gone horribly and terribly wrong. As I have stated before, I doubt very much that he went in there thinking he would never come out again. Comparing his actions to those of a murderer is a little out there, and exactly the kind of talk that I was addressing with my earlier posts. Folks are condemning someone they don't know, and, morally speaking, that is more of a sin than what this kid did. This kid was killed, granted by his own actions, but still not intentionally, as far as we know. All of the time, folks on the Internet judge others that they haven't even met, and frankly I'm a little sick of it. This is not a Disneyland ride we can criticize before it opens. There's a big difference between some stupid Disneyland ride and a human being, and that is what I want to drive home with this post.
    I'm fairly sure Disney Wrassler didn't actually mean that the kid stood in the path of a coaster for the purpose of ending his own life. I interpreted that statement more as "decided to put himself in a position of potentially fatal danger" which as far as we know, is the truth. There's also no indication that I'm aware of that the young man was acting on a dare or trying to pull a prank, as you mentioned - that seems as much of a logical leap as assuming he was suicidal.

The feelings stated in this thread aren't a judgment of this kid's overall character - but according to the information we have, he willingly put himself in harm's way, which indicates a large amount of either ignorance or foolishness in this situation - good judgment and adherence to park rules should have prevented this from happening, so one or the other must have been lacking. Of course, any young person can (and usually does) make at least one really bad choice - but this one was really astonishingly poor.

Having respect and sympathy for the person doesn't make their choices any less poor, or any less their responsibility.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseRemainSeated View Post
    I'm fairly sure Disney Wrassler didn't actually mean that the kid stood in the path of a coaster for the purpose of ending his own life. I interpreted that statement more as "decided to put himself in a position of potentially fatal danger" which as far as we know, is the truth. There's also no indication that I'm aware of that the young man was acting on a dare or trying to pull a prank, as you mentioned - that seems as much of a logical leap as assuming he was suicidal.

The feelings stated in this thread aren't a judgment of this kid's overall character - but according to the information we have, he willingly put himself in harm's way, which indicates a large amount of either ignorance or foolishness in this situation - good judgment and adherence to park rules should have prevented this from happening, so one or the other must have been lacking. Of course, any young person can (and usually does) make at least one really bad choice - but this one was really astonishingly poor.

Having respect and sympathy for the person doesn't make their choices any less poor, or any less their responsibility.
    Nor was I attacking DW's posts specifically, even though I did use his post as an example. My post was spawned by the collective comments here in this thread. I'm sure DW didn't mean it like he wrote it, but still, there is enough name-calling in this thread that you would think the poor guy went on a suicide mission. "Taking a dare or pulling a prank" were just examples I was using, because no one really has the full story. No one was there.

The overall point I was making was that we shouldn't be talking about this fellow like he's an inanimate object, like he's a Disneyland ride. He's a human being, and by some of the posts here, I was unable to tell that we were talking about one. I would never think of cracking a joke or posting accusatory or judgmental remarks about a person who has died or was seriously injured that I don't even know. It's hard to tell whether folks are attacking him or his actions. And even if they are just attacking his actions, he is being judged as a whole based strictly upon this event. Fact is, we don't know much, and yet, we still sit here and discuss the guy like we were in the same school or church as he was. I am just tired of seeing real people being degraded by blanket comments. It's not just because of this thread, but because of the collective mindset of Internet bloggers, posters, and talking heads.

• Circle of Ancients

Then again though, how do we know he wasn't on a suicide mission?

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Then again though, how do we know he wasn't on a suicide mission?
    Innocent until proven guilty. We have to work with what we know, and if we don't know it, or aren't fairly certain of it, he wasn't on a suicide mission. If new evidence comes to light that says he was, then this harsh discussion might be warranted. Until that point, we shouldn't make judgments or hasty generalizations about this individual. That's my whole point. We shouldn't talk, because we clearly don't know. Speculation is alright up to a point, but when that speculation becomes condemnation or judgment, then it's gone way beyond its reasonable limits.

• "I Break Things"

consider me cold hearted, complain about my attitude, even flat out challenge my stance, it will remain unchanged. As a wild teen and former Marine, I feel that an individual must take responsibility for their actions. There are plenty of situations I have been in that were shall we say "less then favorable". Obviously I made it through, but in every case I realized the choices I had made which led to that situation. I didn't go blaming everyone else for my own stupidity, I accepted it and learned from it.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    consider me cold hearted, complain about my attitude, even flat out challenge my stance, it will remain unchanged. As a wild teen and former Marine, I feel that an individual must take responsibility for their actions. There are plenty of situations I have been in that were shall we say "less then favorable". Obviously I made it through, but in every case I realized the choices I had made which led to that situation. I didn't go blaming everyone else for my own stupidity, I accepted it and learned from it.
    I agree with this 100%. No challenges from me on this.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    I feel sorry for the kid, because he clearly did not appreciate the risk. It was foolish, maybe even more foolish than any of the foolish stuff I did when I was younger. But it wasn't deserving of the death penalty.

It seems like a lot of people here, in the spirit of the "need" to be "brutally" honest, have taken the position that the guy deserved to die.

No, Charles Manson deserves to die. Osama bin Laden deserves to die. Richard Ramirez deserves to die. This poor kid paid an excessive price for his folly. I feel bad for him and for his family.
    my bad.wrong posts. error made mistake here.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseRemainSeated View Post
    I'm fairly sure Disney Wrassler didn't actually mean that the kid stood in the path of a coaster for the purpose of ending his own life. I interpreted that statement more as "decided to put himself in a position of potentially fatal danger" which as far as we know, is the truth.
    That's exactly what I meant. Thanks for helping me clear that up . The kid decided to climb the fence, decided to put his life in danger for a hat, and because of that, he payed the ultimate price. I don't think he was suicidal, just stupid.

I just wish he never even climbed that fence because like I said before, I find it sad that peopled die for the stupidest reasons! In a way, it upsets me when people die in situations that can easily be prevented.

Nor was I attacking DW's posts specifically, even though I did use his post as an example. My post was spawned by the collective comments here in this thread. I'm sure DW didn't mean it like he wrote it, but still, there is enough name-calling in this thread that you would think the poor guy went on a suicide mission. "Taking a dare or pulling a prank" were just examples I was using, because no one really has the full story. No one was there.
    I will admit that I think the morbid head jokes are pretty extreme.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    That's exactly what I meant. Thanks for helping me clear that up . The kid decided to climb the fence, decided to put his life in danger for a hat, and because of that, he payed the ultimate price. I don't think he was suicidal, just stupid.

I just wish he never even climbed that fence because like I said before, I find it sad that peopled die for the stupidest reasons! In a way, it upsets me when people die in situations that can easily be prevented.

I will admit that I think the morbid head jokes are pretty extreme.
    I totally agree. It is shocking that people die for such silly reasons, and it is truly upsetting.

And those jokes are basically what hit me.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SingingAngel7242 View Post
    I still don't understand it...I mean, I can see how he would get kicked and hard enough to be knocked out...but decapitated?!?!?!
    There is also such a thing as internal decapatation, and this could also be the case - although it wasn't stated as such in any of the news blurbs I've read.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    Innocent until proven guilty. We have to work with what we know, and if we don't know it, or aren't fairly certain of it, he wasn't on a suicide mission. If new evidence comes to light that says he was, then this harsh discussion might be warranted. Until that point, we shouldn't make judgments or hasty generalizations about this individual. That's my whole point. We shouldn't talk, because we clearly don't know. Speculation is alright up to a point, but when that speculation becomes condemnation or judgment, then it's gone way beyond its reasonable limits.
    We shouldn't talk about it but we do because we are curious about the facts.

The other thought that crossed my mind was if this kid was on drugs or alcohol when he decided to jump the fence?

It's just a tragic situation.

• Rides against injustice

Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    I'm sorry if I sounded insensitive, but I am just so sick and tired of hearing about people losing their lives for the stupidest reasons. I simply wish this person would have asked 6 Flags to retrieve his hat after the ride was closed at night and send it back to him. There is no justified reason for a person to risk their life for a hat
    He may have asked, and the park may have said no. That said, he would have been warned about losing his hat at the load/unload station.
    I used to work at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Guest Relations and the policy for items lost on a ride at the time was if they were able to recover it, it would be sent back to you free of charge. All you had to do was fill out a "Lost and Found" form with your information and a description of what you lost. And believe me, we would get ALOT of hats/cellphones/cameras/sunglasses/etc back to their owners.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast