Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Re: Guest decapitaed by Batman: The Ride at Six Flags Over Georgia after hopping fenc

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    We shouldn't talk about it but we do because we are curious about the facts.
    The other thought that crossed my mind was if this kid was on drugs or alcohol when he decided to jump the fence?
    It's just a tragic situation.
    It's been ruled an accident. Drugs and alcohol were not involved.
    http://www.thestate.com/154/story/448413.html
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• "I Break Things"

Re: Guest decapitaed by Batman: The Ride at Six Flags Over Georgia after hopping fenc

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    It's been ruled an accident. Drugs and alcohol were not involved.
    http://www.thestate.com/154/story/448413.html
    So basically he accidentally scaled a fence or two and the coaster then accidentally hit him. Wow... I wish I could accidentally drive to the bank and accidentally convince them to give me a lot of money and then tell the judge it was an accident.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    So basically he accidentally scaled a fence or two and the coaster then accidentally hit him. Wow... I wish I could accidentally drive to the bank and accidentally convince them to give me a lot of money and then tell the judge it was an accident.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by circusfreak View Post
    DANG!!!! There's some cold S.O.Bs here. All right, I'll say it..I feel bad for the kid. Geeze, that took maybe 3 seconds to write. Kids do stupid things. I was a kid once...guess what, I did stupid things. But, I got real lucky. Now, this poor sap is dead. He was stupid, but still human.

Whewwwwwww. Y'all got no heart, man.....Cold as ice.
    Being brutally honest does not denote a person being cold as ice. It's a forum where everyone has the option to voice their opinion. Being emotionally detached from the situation makes it difficult show remorse for this kid. Personally, what he did was absolutely stupid and I feel it showed that he had no respect for his or any other persons life. He just wanted what he had lost.

Just because I feel that way doesn't make me or anyone else that has made a comment in this thread cold. It just means I can see the truth of the matter with emotional detachment. If I cried, said sorry or felt bad for every person that died I would never see a blue sky ever again.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

consider me cold hearted, complain about my attitude, even flat out challenge my stance, it will remain unchanged. As a wild teen and former Marine, I feel that an individual must take responsibility for their actions. There are plenty of situations I have been in that were shall we say "less then favorable". Obviously I made it through, but in every case I realized the choices I had made which led to that situation. I didn't go blaming everyone else for my own stupidity, I accepted it and learned from it.
    Here here!
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by haunted_hottie View Post
    Being brutally honest does not denote a person being cold as ice. It's a forum where everyone has the option to voice their opinion. Being emotionally detached from the situation makes it difficult show remorse for this kid. Personally, what he did was absolutely stupid and I feel it showed that he had no respect for his or any other persons life. He just wanted what he had lost.

Just because I feel that way doesn't make me or anyone else that has made a comment in this thread cold. It just means I can see the truth of the matter with emotional detachment. If I cried, said sorry or felt bad for every person that died I would never see a blue sky ever again.
    Having emotional detachment doesn't mean detaching oneself from humanity and respect, as some seem to have done here.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    Having emotional detachment doesn't mean detaching oneself from humanity and respect, as some seem to have done here.
    I'll take the bait. USMC... in some respects I am a very cold person. However this is not the issue here. Respect was mentioned, and that includes respect for others as well as respect for ones self. This individual exhibited neither, and therefore I exhibit neither in return. You must first demonstrate respect in order to gain respect.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Circle of Ancients

I'll take the bait. USMC... in some respects I am a very cold person. However this is not the issue here. Respect was mentioned, and that includes respect for others as well as respect for ones self. This individual exhibited neither, and therefore I exhibit neither in return. You must first demonstrate respect in order to gain respect.
    Clearly, I cannot judge whether he had self respect or not nor can I judge whether he had respect for others by this one instance, and I think that's where the problem lies. I don't think respect was an issue for him. It was just bad judgment. I honestly don't think that he felt any harm would come to him or others by jumping the fences. He just decided to do it, and he didn't think of the consequences. It was a stupid thing to do. One should always think before he acts. But, as human beings, we oftentimes don't. I think he clearly displayed a disrespect for park rules, because he chose to break the park law, but I don't think he intended on disrespecting human beings by carrying out his actions.

In the end, it all boils down to this, that I have stated before. There's a tendency on the Internet and in real life to judge someone by one action. One event in the person's entire existence suddenly defines them. This causes some people to base their opinion on a person as a whole strictly on this one action. You could go as far as saying that he disrespected himself when he did this, though I don't agree. But, you'd also have to take into consideration that we don't know this fellow. He could have donated his entire life to taking care of wounded veterans when he wasn't in school. We don't get that information from these stories, and so some tend to take a look at this one action and choose whether to respect or disrespect the individual by this one action, without knowing anything else about him, and that is what I find morally wrong here. I don't find opinions wrong. Opinions can't be wrong. I can disagree or agree with them, but I can't say that they are wrong opinions. I can look at what some folks have done in this thread, and find those actions to be morally wrong though, because they chose to disrespect an individual that they didn't even know.

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

Re: Guest decapitated by Batman: The Ride at Six Flags Over Georgia after hopping fen

What a horrible story, indeed.

I feel so sorry for the riders who were on that unfortunate ride.

As for the deceased kid, I really think we need to question his parents. Really, did they not instill common sense into him? Or is this how the younger side of society is turning out in general - young and lacking common sense? (Though there are many notable exceptions of course.)

I still cannot fathom why the kid was so willing to risk his life for a hat when he could have easily gone to a nearby employee, inform him/her of the situation, and still be alive.
    Last edited by Maleficent Fan; 07-02-2008 at 07:27 PM.

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

That is clearly where there is a miscommunication in this thread. He did not decide to kill himself. As far as we all know this was not a suicide mission. It was a stupid prank, a stupid teenage dare, gone horribly and terribly wrong. As I have stated before, I doubt very much that he went in there thinking he would never come out again. Comparing his actions to those of a murderer is a little out there, and exactly the kind of talk that I was addressing with my earlier posts. Folks are condemning someone they don't know, and, morally speaking, that is more of a sin than what this kid did. This kid was killed, granted by his own actions, but still not intentionally, as far as we know. All of the time, folks on the Internet judge others that they haven't even met, and frankly I'm a little sick of it. This is not a Disneyland ride we can criticize before it opens. There's a big difference between some stupid Disneyland ride and a human being, and that is what I want to drive home with this post.
    Well, I think he was 17. By that age, he should have had some common sense - regardless if he was "prank"-ed to do it.

I'm not going to pick on a deceased human being (I actually hope that the young adult is resting in peace), but you cannot defend his actions in this case. He blatantly ignored numerous warnings (placed there for good reason) and climbed over two (if not more) fences to get in the situation he got himself in.

He was stupid, very stupid, and it cost him his life.

And beyond that, his actions have probably caused a considerable amount of trauma on the riders who were on the train that hit him.

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent Fan View Post
    Well, I think he was 17. By that age, he should have had some common sense - regardless if he was "prank"-ed to do it.

I'm not going to pick on a deceased human being (I actually hope that the young adult is resting in peace), but you cannot defend his actions in this case. He blatantly ignored numerous warnings (placed there for good reason) and climbed over two (if not more) fences to get in the situation he got himself in.

He was stupid, very stupid, and it cost him his life.

And beyond that, his actions have probably caused a considerable amount of trauma on the riders who were on the train that hit him.
    Had you read my previous posts, you would have known I am in no way defending what he did. I am pointing out that people on the Internet should show reverence for the dead and respect for other human beings, which you did in your post. There have been far too many posters here that seemingly judge him as a human being based on this one action, and that is wrong. Some actually audaciously mocked him through jokes, and I was quite upset by it. I was very distressed by the judgmental tone some posters had, acting almost as if this person was a terrorist hellbent on destroying the lives of others. He was a kid that made a very stupid mistake. He shouldn't become the laughing stalk of the Internet because of it. He shouldn't become to poster boy for "stupid." He did one wrong thing, that happened to cost him his life, and people sit around typing about how he is a moron and that he deserved to die. That's wrong any way that you look at it.

Had you read my previous posts, you would have known I am in no way defending what he did. I am pointing out that people on the Internet should show reverence for the dead and respect for other human beings, which you did in your post. There have been far too many posters here that seemingly judge him as a human being based on this one action, and that is wrong. Some actually audaciously mocked him through jokes, and I was quite upset by it. I was very distressed by the judgmental tone some posters had, acting almost as if this person was a terrorist hellbent on destroying the lives of others. He was a kid that made a very stupid mistake. He shouldn't become the laughing stalk of the Internet because of it. He shouldn't become to poster boy for "stupid". He did one wrong thing, that happened to cost him his life, and people sit around typing about how he is a moron and that he deserved to die. That's wrong any way that you look at it.

I fully agree with you here.

We can't judge a human being on one action, but, in this case, this teenager performed an action that was so foolish I guess it garnered enough attention to warrant mocking.

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent Fan View Post
    I fully agree with you here.

We can't judge a human being on one action, but, in this case, this teenager performed an action that was so foolish I guess it garnered enough attention to warrant mocking...
    I'm going to add something to that last sentence.

...from those who need to give their moral compass a tuneup.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

You're half right, which marks a 100% improvement over some of your prior posts in this thread.
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

Had you read my previous posts, you would have known I am in no way defending what he did. I am pointing out that people on the Internet should show reverence for the dead and respect for other human beings, which you did in your post. There have been far too many posters here that seemingly judge him as a human being based on this one action, and that is wrong. Some actually audaciously mocked him through jokes, and I was quite upset by it. I was very distressed by the judgmental tone some posters had, acting almost as if this person was a terrorist hellbent on destroying the lives of others. He was a kid that made a very stupid mistake. He shouldn't become the laughing stalk of the Internet because of it. He shouldn't become to poster boy for "stupid." He did one wrong thing, that happened to cost him his life, and people sit around typing about how he is a moron and that he deserved to die. That's wrong any way that you look at it.
    wasn't a mistake was a decision he didn't fall through those fences he climbed them.

We can't say for sure what motivated him but the jumping at the cars seems to be the most likly one and if that's the case then he clearly wasn't respecting the riders of the vehicle as he could've injured them.

Even with the hat arguement you could argue he wasn't being respectful since he valued it over the people waiting in line or the risk to his own life.

Granted I can't attest for his whole life but to ignore all of those warnings besides the obvious danger is just beyond retarded.

I can understand feeling sorry that he died but I can also understand why some would make jokes. Doesn't make anyone better or worse then anyone else, people just process things differently which feeds into how they respond.

Most people here seem to at least feel sorry for the riders for having to witness such a thing (which has got to be tough to live with) and his parents for their loss.

But as far as the kid goes he HAD to know what he was risking by doing this. Granted we arn't all super risk adversive in our teenage years but really at that age you really should know better, I knew better at 12.

It's just sad really and humor is one way to offset the frustration that arrises when you hear this kind of news. Honestly if people will ignore warnings and two fences how do you stop them from doing something so blatantly dangerous? I'm honestly getting tired of laws and regulations being put into place to make things more and more obvious. Does the fence need to be razerwire?

Maybe yoru right and the media coverage is bad. Maybe they should've just tryed to keep it quite and not publish much. Fix up the ride build up the fence and keep on operating because honestly the ride as a memorial isn't even a good testiment for the kid either (can only imagine guests muttering about the idiot that did something retarded to keep them from their ride for the day)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast