Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Guest decapitated by Batman: The Ride at Six Flags Over Georgia after hopping fen

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent Fan View Post
    And let me add to that, and downright wrong.

Really, can they not see that it was their son's own fault that he is now dead, not the park? It's really sickening that the parents, just a few mere days later, are trying to see what they can get out of it. Two thumbs way down - how about having a little grievance for your deceased son before trying to cash in the bucks?

Anywho, has there been any reports/stories from the people who actually witnessed the event (people on the ground, on the train, etc.)?
    Maybe stupidity runs in the family?

• Banned User

Re: Guest decapitated by Batman: The Ride at Six Flags Over Georgia after hopping fen

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    None of the fences at Six Flags Over Georgia are eight feet tall. The coaster also reopened Wednesday after the park was given the okay to do so by the state.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,376141,00.html

More signs is a stupid response. If they were there, they still would have been ignored, despite whatever this kid's friend may be saying.
    I have no idea if CNN was right. But the did say that state code was 8 feet. There's a lot of other factors--such as did code change since the ride was installed and prior interactions (if any) of state employees who oversee outdoor amusements in Georgia. But I thought it was an interesting addition to the discussion.

• "I Break Things"

Within 10 days of the ride's reopening, the park must increase the number and size of warning signs. Thurmond says the message on the signs should include "extreme danger."
    The fact that they need to specify that climbing 2 fences and going into the path of an oncoming rollercoaster is deemed "extreme danger" does not give me hope for the next generation of society.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

Here is this from the Atlanta paper (and so CNN got it "half" right)...

The park must also enhance its fencing within 120 days.
    Whether that means higher fences or a different type of barrier will be left up to the park, Thurmond said.
    Whatever the park does, it must provide "a more effective barrier from unauthorized individuals," Thurmond said.
    During the investigation, Thurmond said he was in contact with Six Flags' CEO Mark Shapiro.
    He said state officials will work with the park on the new requirements.
    Also, while the work is being performed, security personnel must be stationed in the area around the roller coaster to provide surveillance of the ride while it is operating.
    Six Flags officials said all signs and perimeter fencing at the ride exceed safety standards.

• Circle of Ancients

I hate lawyers. Batman at SFOG has been in operation for 11 years, one stupid kid hops the fence and now the parks got to spend all this money to put new fences and signs up. Which only gives the impression to ambulance chasing lawyers that they have a case.

Not only that, but there are similar coasters at parks all over the country, and this is the first time I can remember something like this happening.

Here is how I look at it:

You have 125 inverted coasters in the world, according to RCDB. This is 'presumably at 125 different parks, but some parks may have 2.

The inverted coaster became popular in the early 90's, so probably 15 years or so.

Conservatively, I'd say with 125 coasters, AT LEAST 100 million riders worldwide have ridden an inverted coaster.

And 1 does this, and now the rides not safe??? What a joke.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I hate lawyers. Batman at SFOG has been in operation for 11 years, one stupid kid hops the fence and now the parks got to spend all this money to put new fences and signs up. Which only gives the impression to ambulance chasing lawyers that they have a case.
    Add it to the bill as part of the counter-suit. They would not need such extra precautions if the kid hadn't ignored signs and jumped 2 fences! I mean if Lawyers are taking the responsibility angle, who is responsible for the new fence requirements?

Personally I do not see this as park negligence, I see it as guest ignorance.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

It says "DO NOT ENTER" for a reason.

Maybe an electrical fence with barbed wire might do the trick to keep the idiots out.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    It says "DO NOT ENTER" for a reason.

Maybe an electrical fence with barbed wire might do the trick to keep the idiots out.
    Yea, I don't get all these warning signs and bs like that. If you line a fence with barbed wire, which is pretty damn cheap, and some kid decides to hop it, well godspeed to him...

Its like all those utility poles with the spikes on them to prevent people from climbing transformer towers, not only do you have to be stupid to do it, but you have to have a reason.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789