• Circle of Ancients

Thumbs down DoubleTree Santa Ana/OC Airport

This isn't so much a review, as a rant. We've actually stayed at this hotel, and it's quite nice.

Since Feb. of 2007 we've used priceline 24 times (and we've used it many years before that, so probably at least 50 times) and never in any of that time have we had any issues other than minor ones (parking, bed requests, etc).

Until last night.

Belle was off with the girls, so Lil' Clinks and I journeyed to the OC fair with some friends (TR coming soon).

Well, after a fun day, and dinner, we go to check into our hotel at 10:30pm. Because the room is already paid for, and we have "Guaranteed late night arrival" we shouldn't have a problem. Plus, we've checked into hotels MUCH later than this in the past, and never had any issues.

Until last night:

You can imagine my surprise when the registration desk people very matter of fact told me "We have no rooms and all the other hotels we are affiliated with in the area are booked ... we can give you a refund".

:shock:

Uhm ... EXCUSE ME!!!!

All I can say is they were lucky I had my 10 y/o son with me. I was absolutely LIVID.

Luckily we had a place to stay (a most wonderful couch that is normally bed to a most adorable pooch) but that's besides the point.

I have never been treated in such a way by anybody in the hospitality industry. Not even at any "Motels" such as Motel 6, Super 8 and some other less than stellar establishments.

I've already contacted priceline, I will be contacting Hilton (I am a Honors member after all) and will be raising holy hell. Even now, I'm still in shock.

To top it all off, she tried to tell me it was because we booked with Priceline (something I know to not be true). I asked her if we had come in at 3:00 (the check-in time) if we'd have received a room. She said "Of Course". To which my response was "then HOW is that priceline's issues".

Sigh ... so if your using Priceline, and you get this hotel, make sure you check-in early.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Re: DoubleTree Santa Ana/OC Airport

What a bunch of bull hockey doo. I hope you also write the manager of the Doubletree and tell him how rudely you were treated. Thanks for the warning in the meantime but I will be curious to what Priceline and Hilton have to say about this.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Yes Gregg keep us posted as to what if anything you hear from them!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    What a bunch of bull hockey doo. I hope you also write the manager of the Doubletree and tell him how rudely you were treated. Thanks for the warning in the meantime but I will be curious to what Priceline and Hilton have to say about this.

I would agree with Pratt55 on this one! I am especially interested on how they (Priceline, Hilton, Doubletree, etc) answer you on this situation. Be sure to write as many corporate people as you can, and copy to the hotel manager. (Have an extra bit of interest here as I am a former Doubletree front desk--aka guest services--employee and have never heard such a lame, er, I mean interesting excuse!)

I agree with the advice though, if you can, run by and check in as early as possible whether you reserved online with priceline or any other means...you just never know.

--Alice
    Last edited by Alicekay08; 07-29-2008 at 05:16 AM. Reason: punctuation

• World Traveler

What a horrible feeling not to have a room. This happened to me once, although not with Priceline.

I hope you get a favorable response, even though your night was pretty much ruined.

• Little Miss Sunshine

I have never had that happen before. I've received a bad room (once that smelled so bad of mold that eventually I went to a different hotel). But never have I been told there was no room, and nothing they could do. That is terrible!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Circle of Ancients

Update:

Spoke with Priceline yesterday, they had yet to hear from the hotel (no surprise there).

Called the hotel and raised holy hell. Called Hilton Honors, raised holy hell.

Still waiting for a resolution on this.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Update:

Spoke with Priceline yesterday, they had yet to hear from the hotel (no surprise there).

Called the hotel and raised holy hell. Called Hilton Honors, raised holy hell.

Still waiting for a resolution on this.
    Make sure you document who you spoke with and follow up with emails and/or letters especially to the hotel folks. Its amazing how many complaints get lost when they are just via telephone.

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55 View Post
    Make sure you document who you spoke with and follow up with emails and/or letters especially to the hotel folks. Its amazing how many complaints get lost when they are just via telephone.

Oh my...was thinking the same thing! Document, date, time---the whole thing. Also, ask for titles, I know they come cheap, but it pays to know if you are talking to a guest services rep (like me) vs a sup. Even if you just ask what dept they are in, comes in handy. Writing sometimes works better, some companies (don't know about Hilton anymore) have to document their response for each email/letter received.

Also...I usually have best reponse when I write to the property manager AND a district manager. Except of course if you are writing to an airline, the CEO works best for that. (Another long story....)

Okay, climbing off soapbox now. Only 6 more days until Disneyland for me...so I am off to read.

Keep us posted, Alice

• Circle of Ancients

UPDATE:

Got an email from Priceline that due to the "Extenuating Circumstances" they were granting me a refund. And that this is not a "normal" thing, blah, blah, blah.

Extenuating Circumstances!?!?!?!? I was like ... I mean, I'm glad for the refund, don't get me wrong, but this is hardly over IMO.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Hilton Honors. Maybe I'll call them today.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    UPDATE:

Got an email from Priceline that due to the "Extenuating Circumstances" they were granting me a refund. And that this is not a "normal" thing, blah, blah, blah.

Extenuating Circumstances!?!?!?!? I was like ... I mean, I'm glad for the refund, don't get me wrong, but this is hardly over IMO.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Hilton Honors. Maybe I'll call them today.
    Good to hear they did some follow up...glad for the refund coming through. Will be interesting to hear what Hilton says, amazed they would allow that to happen....hmmmm...keep us posted. --Alice