• Senior Minion

Thumbs up Desert Palms Hotel and Suites (631 W. Katella)

This past week I stayed at the Desert Palms Hotel and Suites on Katella, which is right next to the Timon parking lot. For a nice place to stay and lay your head for the night the Desert Palms is perfect.

First off I liked the idea of having free parking, since there are many places in the Resort area where you have to pay for parking while staying there. Secondly I liked that it was a three minute walk to the Timon parking entrance gate on Katella and a short walk to the tram so there wasn't too much walking involved. Lastly, by far this place has the best continental breakfast I ever had! Not only do they have the usual fare of pastries, coffee and juices - they also have scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausages, gravy, biscuits, canned peaches, yogurt, cottage cheese, white and wheat toast, cereal and oatmeal! It seems they switch each day though, one day you get eggs, hash browns and sausage the other you get eggs, biscuits and gravy - but still a hearty and excellent breakfast. There is even a patio area outside where you can eat breakfast and get a nice view of DCA as well.

The room was well appointed as well. It had everything you could want for a long stay in the Resort area, and they also have Suites available with kitchenettes in them as well. The bathroom was clean and had enough space to move around along with the usual hair dryer, the closet had a full sized ironing board and iron as well. There were two TV's in our room since the first half of the room had the beds and the second half was a sitting area with a couch, table and four chairs along with the other TV. Between the beds there is also a small safe with a key to store your stuff - I put my laptop in there (they offer internet to the rooms, but free wi-fi is in the lobby only).

The lobby area has two small eateries and a gift shop as well for anything else you might need. Also right next door is a car rental place, although I can't recall the name of which car rental company.

The Desert Palms is close to the corner of Harbor and Katella, and right next to 7-11 for some last minute snacks. Also the walk to GardenWalk isn't too bad from this location either.

It was a smooth check-in and check-out, never had a problem with my stay on any of the days and they let us keep our cars on their lot while we went to the park on the day we checked out.

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

Re: Desert Palms Hotel and Suites (631 W. Katella)

I'm very glad you had such a happy experience, but... I had friends who stayed there a couple of years ago and weren't so lucky. Their room was really noisy. There weren't always enough parking spots to park their car. And they paid extra to get a room with a spa/hot tub. Well, the jets in the hot tub didn't work and when they tried to drain it, no go! They had a huge tub full of water the length of their stay, mgmt wouldn't/couldn't fix it and they didn't knock off the extra bucks thay paid to have that little luxury.

Maybe in a couple of years things have gotten better there. I hope so, but I'd never recommend it because of the attitude of the inn-keepers.

• Better Butter Battle Vic

Blog Entries

I stayed a couple of years ago and they were under rennovation, but I got a good deal because of it. The location is nice especially if the Timon lot is open, but we did have several issues, which I would assume were rennovated. The lobby was gorgeous and I loved the quiznos being right there.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

I love the Quiznos being there -- I stopped in there and took a peek when I was down for Ralliversary in January. Cheapest meal I paid for the entire weekend, I might add. The hotel looked really nice and it isn't even that bad of a walk if the trams aren't running.

Thanks for the detailed review, Liz. This place is on my short list for options for October once I determine who all is coming and if I want to get a suite and share the cost or not.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Merry 2014!

It's nice to hear a good review about this motel. That breakfast sounds great and would save a bit of money. I had friends who stayed there a few years ago and hated it. Apparently it was very dirty and smelled musty.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Senior Minion

Well here are a few pictures I took while there, pardon the mess in the room since we were getting ready to check out. As for the comments that it was musty and dirty, like I said I guess they did renovate a bit there since when I went I found our room to be nice and clean. I also forgot to mention that the room also had a small fridge and microwave as well, so you can keep food and snacks there to eat later.

I took more pictures of the food then of the room since I was so impressed by the breakfast there.

Here is the view of the room when you enter.

View from the sitting area.

Now here are the offerings of breakfast on the Friday of my stay.

• Merry 2014!

That looks great, thanks for the pics Liz! The rooms look nice. (you guys are pretty tidy. My room alsways looks like a tornado ran through it.) Quite an extensive breakfast too. I'll have to check this one out.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Banned User

I, and my family, stayed there this past July! There were four families in all, for a total of 15 people! We stayed in the Gobi suites. Four rooms, and each pair of rooms had adjoining doors so the kids could go back and forth with their cousins without going out into the hall. The rooms we had, weren't very big, but remember, it's only a place to sleep. We're not there for the hotel. We're there for Disneyland!! They did have a little fridge, safe, hair-dryer, TV, iron & ironing board, and microwave. Again, not much room, BUT CLEAN!!

The management was quick in getting us three cribs for the little ones. The rooms were nice, and the breakfast....well, the above pictures from TikiRoomLiz say it all....FANTASTIC!!

I really enjoyed this place, especially since it shares the same block as DLR. You don't have to cross the street to get to the park!!!! A short walk, and you're at the Timon tram area! Even if you don't take the tram, the walk isn't that bad.

There was a little noise when guests with their kids, or a group of teenagers went down the hall, but that's pretty normal for most hotels. I've researched some of the other hotels, like the ones directly across from the entrance to the park, and I have to say that Desert Palms Hotel and Suites is going to be one of the best, if not THE best, choices around. There may be some bad experiences, but we didn't have one. We will be staying there again on our next trip! (FYI, you can see into DCA from the upper floors on the North side!)

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

I stayed there in July of 2005 when I was there for the 50th and it was really nice...the only thing I didn't like was having to walk back to the hotel after being so sore and tired from walking around and only sleeping 6 hours a night haha...but yeah it was great.
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Is anyone able to share room rate experiences? $$/night?
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY View Post
    Try going to Get Away Today Vacations here and check out their DLR packages. Desert Palms Hotel is listed in their moderate price range. They list it as "Desert Palm Inn and Suites", even though it's really Desert Palms Hotel and Suites. For what you get and the location, it's a really good value!

Remember, with Get Away Today Vacations, you get TWO early entry passes with your 3-day (or more) park hopper, instead of just the one you get if you purchase through DLR. The prices are the same as DL when you buy tickets online, but you get TWO early entry passes with Get Away Today. (FYI, I do not work for them. I just like the fact that you get TWO!!!) Having two early entries for our trip last July, made it SOOOO much more fun!!!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

I'm looking at Orbitz with a code (EQUALITY100) that expires on Sunday. For a 7 night stay in mid-October (18-25) it would be $672.95 with all taxes and such. This price doesn't include the resort fee or the safe fee (adds about $45 more).
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY View Post
    I reserved through Expedia when I went and got it for $96/night and due to the length of stay got a $50 gas credit card with my reservation as well.