Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tropicana Inn

• Jeanne, like the lamp!

Tropicana Inn

I have read on the previous thread's (that's now closed) semi-older reports but was wondering if anyone has stayed there recently and can give me any info on it? I booked a stay for my husband and i's first Wedding anniversary on Oct. 31 for a week.

and they lived happily ever after

Re: Tropicana Inn

Don't know, but would appreciate your letting me know. We're booked Dec.

Guidebooks give it a middle rating, not fancy but not threadbare either.
    Last edited by PA*; 10-28-2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: omission

• Loving life!

My SIL and her family stay there every time they go to DL. They really like it and its proximity to the crosswalk. It is your average motel. As long as you are expecting something along the lines of Best Western or Holiday Inn, you will like it.

• Super Genius

Their rates look a little steep. Try the Anaheim Plaza Hotel across the street. They're about $70 a night.
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

• Dave

Blog Entries

You'll hate it! It is so close to the park not to mention a great buy. The cost of one week is what it cost one day to stay at the Disneylan Hotel. Just kidding on the you'll hate my fear is the more people who find out about the more who will stay there and push up the cost. It really for the price and location is one of the best kept secret out their we stay there every time and have never had a bad stay. Plus my wife likes extra pillows and they always provide extra pillows and go well beyond the call of duty to provide good customer service. The only bad point is their continetal breakfast is so so. otherwise for the price location, and srvice it's mot bad.
    Dave

Does anyone know if there is a place to buy gal. milk within walking distance, or should I arrange to stop by a grocery store on the way there?

Quote Originally Posted by PA* View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a place to buy gal. milk within walking distance, or should I arrange to stop by a grocery store on the way there?
    There is a little 7-11/mini mart type store within walking distance, I would assume they would have milk.

In regards to the hotel it depends on your comfort level. If you travel and don't mind best western style hotels this is probably a good choice, if you prefer more plush rooms this might not be the best choice...

• Jeanne, like the lamp!

Thanks all, we just got back and my only gripe really is the front desk clerks are pretty rude. Nothing i cant deal with though, the hot tub is awesome and my hubby loved the pool. We are going again for my Birthday in December and are booked there again

and they lived happily ever after

• Super Genius

Quote Originally Posted by tmh331 View Post
    There is a little 7-11/mini mart type store within walking distance
    ABC Market at 1761 S Harbor Blvd. They're at the NW corner of Harbor & Katella.
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

Just returned from our stay, we encountered no rudeness in staff so no problems there. Room was clean and quiet, only problem was the shower knobs which wanted to turn back in the opposite direction when released. Breakfast is skimpy, but since it opens late (7am) we didn't use until the last day or two. There is an on-site store that opens early that has milk, snacks, basic drug-store items, so that is convenient. We brought a box of cereal & bowls, and bought a 1/2 gal. of milk and had breakfast in the room. The continental breakfast consists of danish/muffins, orange juice/coffee, and apples/oranges. There was no rationing of food, so if you wanted three muffins you could have them. For some reason orange juice was free, but apple juice was extra (as was milk). $1 for apple juice/milk, $1.25 for cereal (not sure if cereal incl. milk or if that was extra too). The ABC market is two blocks away, and 1/2 is tacky souvenirs, the other 1/2 is beer & wine, with a couple aisles in between of food (bread, jelly, cereal, etc.). They do have milk but the Tropicana has a larger selection.

Most rooms face the inner parking lot, so don't expect a view. Then again if you're going to be at the parks all day it doesn't matter. On-site laundry has about 1/2 doz. machines. There is also a little souvenir shop that opens later, and some sort of drinks counter (coffee, etc.?). Each room has its own A/C/heat unit under the window, so no need to worry about recirculated smoke if you're in a NS room. Room decor was mildly pleasing with pictures that actually looked like something you'd like to look at, rather than the abstract who knows what it is that you find in some motels. Towels were nice and thick. There are several places to eat nearby on the same street. There is an ice cream place in a motel a few doors down the street (right at the crosswalk to DL).

So, no problems, I would stay there again. It's about as close to DL as you're going to get.

• Minion

We will ONLY stay at the Topicana if we don't stay on property. We absolutely love it!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Are the beds soft and comfy??

• Minion

I think they are. Their continental breakfast isn't bad either.

• Wished I lived closer....

We were there 11/30-12/07....it is our 3rd stay there & would not hesitate to stay there...location is VERY good....actually the walk is less than when we stayed at Disneyland Hotel last year.

Quote Originally Posted by landj View Post
    We were there 11/30-12/07....it is our 3rd stay there & would not hesitate to stay there...location is VERY good....actually the walk is less than when we stayed at Disneyland Hotel last year.
    Speaking of the Disneyland Hotel, which is on the other side of the security checkpoint area ... now this is a completely unscientific random sampling of one Saturday morning 12/13/08 about 9am ... the security lines on the S. Harbor Blvd. side were a lot shorter than on the Downtown Disney side, where D-land Hotel is. I don't know if this is a common occurrence, but possibly another reason to stay here or at least off-Land on S. Harbor.

One other thing I forgot to mention, although Tropicana charges for wireless internet access, I was able to pick up the free Best Western wireless from our Tropicana room (we were on the right side, ground floor).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast