Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need hotel advice

I would love love some much needed advice and opinions with this decision from the experts. Let me first tell you a bit about my family & our trip. This will be our first Disneyland trip. We are a family of 5, our kids ages when we go will be DS9, DS6 & DD2. Our DD2 will be sleeping in a playpen so the rooms need to have enough room for this. We are going to Disneyland August 2-7th. We will be taking a break in the day to nap/swim so this should be a consideration with location. I would really like to avoid the ART bus if possible. So here are my choices that I have narrowed down, I will put prices and any special notes with them.
    • Hojo's-$130.90/night (with 15% disc.) -building 1 premium room, Disney view, great pool for kids, short walk. Con's: I am concerned about the freeway noise with sleeping here, someone mentioned that with the AC in summer you won't hear the freeway.
    • Sheraton Anaheim-$149.00/night-Largest standard rooms, this package comes with breakfast, FREE shuttle. Con's: $10.00/day to park there which brings up our daily total (I assume before taxes) to $159.00/day.
    • Anabella-$139.00/night (last night $179.00)-L shaped room. Con's: a bit of a walk, daily parking fee.
    • Candy Cane Inn- $144.00/night- free breakfast, free shuttle. Con's: Smaller room size.
    As you can see that the hotels are close in price. I would love some advice. I know we are not eligible for the Entertainment rate at Hojo's because it is in August. I have even considered Priceline but I am worried to do that since we are a family of 5 so I don't know if the rooms can handle all 5, we also would not know where we would stay until after we paid for it. And we would probably be farther so we would have to take the shuttles which would be harder for nap time with our daughter (having to get to the farther hotels).Thanks for your help.

Re: Need hotel advice

I have but one bit of advice that some people aren't too comfortable with but I have never had anything but success with and that is Priceline.com. I always "name my own price" when I take the family to Disneyland and I always win big! For the past four years we have always ended up at the Hyatt just up the street for $65-$75.00 per night! For fun we would always check room rates through their website and they would be in the $150 per night range.
    We are again making a trip to Disneyland on the 23rd of this month and scored a three night stay at a 3 1/2 star hotel (the Crowne Plaza) for just $50 per night!! That is for my family of four, so you may have to spend a little extra for a rollaway to accomodate the third child. It also does not reflect the $13 per night resort fee so in reality it comes out to $63 per night. Even with that fee, it is still way better than the $112 per night fee that we would be paying had we booked through Hotels.com (the place where we found this hotel at the cheapest rate).
    Keep in mind that you can specify the "Disneyland Area" when naming your price and all of the 3 to 3 1/2 star hotels have a shuttle that usually runs every hour from park open until park close (sometimes an additional fee is required, such as the $13 resort fee that I will be paying on this trip). I have stayed at hotels where Disneyland was in so-called "walking distance" and always wished that I never would have walked after a whole day carting around a little one. Jumping on the shuttle is easy and saves your legs for the next day!
    I always suggest Priceline to those that are more concerned with the cost than staying at any specific hotel. I have always gone with a 3 star or higher and have always had a great experience at well kept, well located hotels. When I first started using Priceline and the "Name your own price option" I was always very nervous, but after doing for the past eight years...I bid with confidence and certainty!!

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

Nowadays, my main concern is freeway noise. Lived next door to the 5 for years and thought I was immune, but when my house was painted I stayed at the Holiday Inn on Manchester and the noise drove me buggy. Room was facing the freeway and the window didn't seem to be sealed correctly. Had to switch rooms at 3am. (Maybe I'm just old and cranky but it was truly awful.)

Now that I live 10 miles from the nearest freeway I'm SURE I couldn't handle it. I'd rather pay the extra bucks for a quieter room

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

I stayed at the HoJo 2 weeks ago and my room was on the "freeway" side and maybe it was because I was so tired both nights, but I didn't hear any noise enough to keep me awake. Given your choices, I'd pick the HoJo for no other reason than the easy walk. You will walk right past McDonalds each day which can help save some money over eating in the parks.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

My comments...
    I am a light sleeper and have never had an issue with the freeway noise at the HoJos freeway view.

Also, the Anabella walk really isn't too much longer - the HUGE plus, esp. with kids is that the walk is so much prettier - you're on Disney property right away, get to go through the Grand Cal and through part of DTD. All that distraction helps tired feet lol

Haven't tried the other 2!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

We are staying at HOJO's this summer and I have inquired if the room's can accom a pack and play and they do, they also have cribs available for free you just need to request it. MY DD 7 saw pics of there pool and is very excited to stay there.
    "A pirates life for me"

Next trip to Disneyland April 3 to April 7 2011 For our second honneymoon and with out the kids.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

If you don't mind the shuttle ride, my choice is the Sheraton Anaheim. They are my favorite offsite hotel. The rooms are nice sized, the staff is always great, the bed are sooo comfy and if you get a room in the D section you can watch the fireworks from your room(just found that one out last week!) If you join the starwood program you might get an even better rate, you will at least rack up points.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

We highly recommend the HoJo. It is a great property. Walking distance. They are super friendly and helpful. If you are concerned about freeway noise, tell them and they'll do their best to get you in a pool facing room or something further away from the freeway. Also, ask them what their best "MiceChat" rate is.

If that doesn't work out for you the Anabella and the Carousel Inn are also great properties within walking distance.

Cheers and good luck!

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• no flash photography...

I'm a very light sleeper. When i stay in hotels I bring ear plugs now. The noises do not keep me up. I even slept through the Disneyland fireworks when they went off and they woke up my friend.

As far as hojo's. I've stayed there twice. without the earplugs, and the fereeway noise did not keep me up. The first room was very nice, the second room has made me not want to go back.

I stayed at the HOJO in October and had the freeway side. The freeway noise is bad. Mostly because of this odd little double doors that lead to the balcony. That and the windows allow the noise to get through. I actually asked to be moved further away from the freeway, but it didn't help much. I like the HOJO, but they have got to invest in some better soundproofing.

On a side note I just stayed at the Anaheim Hilton for $50 bucks a night thanks to Priceline. The service rivals Disney and the rooms are pretty nice. Plus you can use ART and the Hilton is the first stop on that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothemi View Post
    I stayed at the HOJO in October and had the freeway side. The freeway noise is bad. Mostly because of this odd little double doors that lead to the balcony. That and the windows allow the noise to get through. I actually asked to be moved further away from the freeway, but it didn't help much. I like the HOJO, but they have got to invest in some better soundproofing.

On a side note I just stayed at the Anaheim Hilton for $50 bucks a night thanks to Priceline. The service rivals Disney and the rooms are pretty nice. Plus you can use ART and the Hilton is the first stop on that route.
    If you don't mind me asking a few questions, how many stars do you have to pick for the Anaheim Hilton on Priceline? Also, you said that you paid $50.00/night, are there other fees after that, like resort fees or parking? I am trying to figure out if I should go the priceline route or not. We would need 2 beds, and my daughter could sleep in a playpen.

Quote Originally Posted by lvrebel76 View Post
    I have but one bit of advice that some people aren't too comfortable with but I have never had anything but success with and that is Priceline.com. I always "name my own price" when I take the family to Disneyland and I always win big! For the past four years we have always ended up at the Hyatt just up the street for $65-$75.00 per night! For fun we would always check room rates through their website and they would be in the $150 per night range.
    We are again making a trip to Disneyland on the 23rd of this month and scored a three night stay at a 3 1/2 star hotel (the Crowne Plaza) for just $50 per night!! That is for my family of four, so you may have to spend a little extra for a rollaway to accomodate the third child. It also does not reflect the $13 per night resort fee so in reality it comes out to $63 per night. Even with that fee, it is still way better than the $112 per night fee that we would be paying had we booked through Hotels.com (the place where we found this hotel at the cheapest rate).
    Keep in mind that you can specify the "Disneyland Area" when naming your price and all of the 3 to 3 1/2 star hotels have a shuttle that usually runs every hour from park open until park close (sometimes an additional fee is required, such as the $13 resort fee that I will be paying on this trip). I have stayed at hotels where Disneyland was in so-called "walking distance" and always wished that I never would have walked after a whole day carting around a little one. Jumping on the shuttle is easy and saves your legs for the next day!
    I always suggest Priceline to those that are more concerned with the cost than staying at any specific hotel. I have always gone with a 3 star or higher and have always had a great experience at well kept, well located hotels. When I first started using Priceline and the "Name your own price option" I was always very nervous, but after doing for the past eight years...I bid with confidence and certainty!!
    Are there other fees after you paid $63.00, like parking fees or anything else? I am quite honestly more concerned about cost, so we have considered Priceline. We do not want to stay at a dumpy hotel/motel, not that brave. I just am not sure what happens with the fact that we need 2 beds and room for a playpen. I have only gotten a hotel on Priceline once (in Sacramento) and they were rude to me at check in when I asked a few questions regarding our room.

Quote Originally Posted by smithpartyof5 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking a few questions, how many stars do you have to pick for the Anaheim Hilton on Priceline? Also, you said that you paid $50.00/night, are there other fees after that, like resort fees or parking? I am trying to figure out if I should go the priceline route or not. We would need 2 beds, and my daughter could sleep in a playpen.
    I picked 3.5* hotels in the Disneyland area. I did have to pay an insane $15 dollars a night to self park in the parking structure. Tax and resort fee worked out to just about $10 a night. So figure about $75 a night total (give or take) at that price. I think that was the best I could do since I got this hotel after my first asking price of $48 dollars a night got rejected.

The thing to be aware of is the bed situation. There is no guarantee as to bed choice or even smoking/non-smoking, though I was able to call the hotel directly and ask for my bed type and non-smoking. I was told it is based on availability at the time of check in. I did get the room I wanted though.

• Circle of Ancients

I used priceline for this weekend and got the Hilton for $52.

You can't beat that.

• Sock Puppet

Suggest to check priceline.com or hotwire.com they offer best hotel rates..otherwise Sheraton Anaheim is my bet. $10 parking is fine as long as you enjoy your stay and some peace and quiet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast