View Poll Results: What hotel do you think is more worth the money?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paradise Pier ($280)

6 30.00%
  • Disneyland Hotel ($310)

14 70.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Disneyland Hotel vs. Paradise Pier Hotel

I have a trip to the Disneyland Resort & Disney California Adventure in late June (29-30) and I was wondering the difference between hotels.

I've stayed at the Paradise Pier a few times but I hardly remember it and I don't recall ever staying at the Disneyland Hotel - I'm loosing my memory! Hah.

There is going to be 3 of us, 1 night, on a semi-budget (meaning nothing like Grand CA Hotel.)

Please, tell me everything from the pools to the rooms to the dining places reviews. Also, how far is the walking distance from the Disneyland Hotel to the park? Thank you! I plan to book soon so information is needed fairly quickly.
    Last edited by MsSarah; 04-20-2009 at 02:49 PM.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Addicted to MC since '08

Re: Disneyland Hotel vs. Paradise Pier Hotel

Ok I don't stay at either of these often but I will tell you what I do remember.

Pools:
    -Paradise Pier has a smaller pool on the 3rd story rooftop. It has the largest waterslide at the resort called "California Streamin", similar to WDW's Boardwalk Hotel's watersldie. There is a 1' or 2' kiddie pool and one main rectangle pool with adjescent jacuzzi.
    -Disneyland Hotel has a giant freeform pool that slightly resembles a clover. It has an aweome waterslide that is almost the same length as Paradise Pier's, however it is much more themed and you travel through some waterfalls, bushes and down the side of skull rock. It has a jacuzzi and a small 5' or 6' slide for kids.

Location to the Parks
    -Paradise Pier was great when it had its own entrance into Paradise Pier exlusive to that hotel's guests. It closed however and is quite a walk to the parks. To go to Disneyland you can either get on the Monorail to Tomorrowland in Dontown Disney which is still a descent walk, or you can walk all the way through DD to Disneyland's Main Entrance. To go to California Adventure I enter through the GCH's entrance. TO get to there you have to walk about halfway down DD then turn into the hotel entrance on the right. Follow the signs and you will get to another entrance in DCA. This way is faster, but if you want to go theoguh the Main Entrance you have to again walk theough DD.
    -Disneyland Hotel is far end of DD, the side farthest away from the parks. It is closer to DD and the parks then PP. From the Disneyland Hotel (depending on which tower you are in) it is about a 5-10 minute walk to the DD monorail Station and a 15-20 minute walk through Downtown Disney to the Main entrance of both Disneyland and California Adventure.

Disneyland Hotel Reviews: Here

Paradise Pier Hotel Reviews: Here

• Minion

I have stayed at both the Paradise Pier hotel and the Disneyland Hotel. If you are getting an average guest room they are both almost identical size room wise. The rooms at Paradise are more updated then those at Disneyland Hotel. Both are walking distance to the parks. You are walking distance from the monorail at the Disneyland Hotel, and at the Paradise you can walk through the Grand California to get to the parks. Both are very nice parks. Both pools feature slides at both hotels, but the Disneyland hotel has a much better themed pool.

Where you stay all depends on what your budget allows. I believe you get more bang for your buck at Paradise Pier Hotel, and as a guest of the hotels you have access to all the pools in the resort hotels. Disneyland hotel is slightly more "Disney" Whenever I stay at a hotel when I go to Disney I think to myself that I'm not going to be spending much time in the room (just to sleep.) My vote would be for Paradise Pier, its just as nice as the Disneyland hotel and the money you save can be spent on other goodies! Have a great trip!
    Jeff Wayne

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Thanks so much for that great info!

Another question, if you stayed at the PP, can you use the Disneyland Hotel pool and vise versa.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

From Paradise Pier Hotel there are three options to get to the parks:

-Walk across the street and enter through Grand Californian
    -Walk towards Disneyland Hotel and take Monorail
    -Walk towards Disneyland Hotel and walk through Downtown Disney

I think if you're on a budget, there are other options that are off 'disney' property that may be shorter walks. And now that Garden Walk is open, there's an alternative.

Paradise Pier now only has one working restaurant right? Now that Yamabuki closed, but Disneyland Hotel is right next door and Grand Californian across the street.

So all in all, Paradise Pier isn't THAT far... they could do a lot more to make it more enticing though.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    Thanks so much for that great info!

Another question, if you stayed at the PP, can you use the Disneyland Hotel pool and vise versa.
    No. All the pools have key entry gates and your room key will only open the gate of the pool at the hotel it is issued from.

dsny1mom

• Minion

^ well when our family has our yearly staycation we stay at Disneyland one but go to all the pools. Correct me if I'm wrong

• Silent Lucidity

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I think if you're on a budget, there are other options that are off 'disney' property that may be shorter walks...
    I remember a thread in which someone calculated the distances from various hotels; and did prove that several hotels on Harbor Blvd, across the street from Disneyland, are a shorter walk to the main gates than the on-property hotels.

To us, a room in Anaheim is a place to crash for the night, take an afternoon nap, shower and such. The real action is inside the park!

• Done waiting!!

Strictly regarding the rooms, there really isn't a huge difference in quality between PP and DLH. The only difference is the PP is obviously themed to PP (with the Sun Wheel) and the DLH is themed to DL. Unless you just really want to be able to say you stayed at the DLH, I would recommend the PP and spend the money you saved on merch instead.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• Addicted to MC since '08

Quote Originally Posted by Dlandclub33 View Post
    ^ well when our family has our yearly staycation we stay at Disneyland one but go to all the pools. Correct me if I'm wrong
    Yes, I go to all the resort hotel pools and my keys seem to open the gates just fine...

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I've stayed at the DLH numerous times and last year I gave the PP a shot twice.

The first time our stay was fine, but the room was defintely showing wear and tear and the sofabed had a really bad, musty smell. Wouldn't want to sleep there! Also, the big pool slide does not empty into the pool it empties into a small area.

The second stay we had problems with the staff from the minute we checked in. We had the same type of room, but didn't even check with the sofabed this time.

Rack rate is showing DLH at $310 and Paradise Pier at $280 during your dates. My personal opinon, for the $30 difference I would stay at DLH. If you get a room facing DTD you have a fantastic view and can see the fireworks. I've yet to encounter any issues with the cms there, the pool is great, it's a shorter walk and I really like the atmosphere there better and feel the rooms are just comfier.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• radiantly eccentric

paradise pier is nice but a longer walk. Disneyland hotel is classic and a shorter walk, plus you get early admission to the parks in the morning sometimes. Both hotels are overpriced @ rack rates but being at the resort is magical. Have Fun
    without Love in a dream, it will never come true...

• Done waiting!!

Quote Originally Posted by MouselyGrateful View Post
    paradise pier is nice but a longer walk. Disneyland hotel is classic and a shorter walk, plus you get early admission to the parks in the morning sometimes. Both hotels are overpriced @ rack rates but being at the resort is magical. Have Fun
    All of the resort hotels (and I believe the Good Neighbor ones as well) have early-entry to the parks on certain days. The DLH and PP are both definitely overpriced. Go stay in one of the $89 rooms at the Hilton and you'll understand.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• no flash photography...

I don't use public pools, so i can't help you there.

As for the rooms....they are about the same. They aren't that great. average hotel type rooms. The good thing is they are pretty close to the parks. There are more restaurant choices at the dlh, but you can still eat at those if staying at the pph.

Both hotels are easy walks to the park.

The only problem we've had was the valet at the pph hotel. they did not want to repark my car and said our stuff would get stolen out of it in valet. It would be safer in self park. I had already oaud for valet and told him to repark it. he eventually did after I asked about 5 times. I spoke with someone about it and they comped the valet for both days of my stay.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post

We stay on property at least three times per year.

Yes, you can.

In fact, you can also use the pool at the GCH, though there really is no need to. In comparison to the Neverland Pool and the waterslide at the PPH, the pool at the GCH is "boring"...

But it does offer the Whitewater snacks just a few steps away and that is a huge plus.

Croc's is OK and is open much later, but their limited selection leaves little to be desired. Though we do enjoy their late night nacho's poolside or in our room while enjoying the sights and sounds of DTD.

Enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast