Thread: Disney Hotels

Disney Hotels

We are going to visit Disneyland in January. My mom and dad decided they would let me and my sister decide which Disney hotel to stay in. Which hotel should my family stay at? The Disneyland Hotel, Grand Californian, or the Paridise Pier Hotel?

Thanks!
    -Tyler

• Laughing Place Finder

Re: Disney Hotels

What hotel you choose mainly depends on what factors are important to you: price, value, theming, dining, pools, park proximity as well as the kids "Disney Magic" factor.

My favorite on property hotel is the Disneyland Hotel. The theming there is great. it's not subdued and semi-invisible like at the Grand Californian and it's not loud and plastic like I've heard Paradise Pier is.

The Neverland Pool and Skull Rock waterslide at the Disneyland Hotel is so full of Disney Magic that I'm sure it's the reason my daughter usually wants to stay there more than any other hotel. The lobby, gift shops and old pictures of Walt really make you feel like you are part of a Disney original. The grounds there have some wonderful hidden treasures that are often overlooked like the koi ponds and R/C jungle cruise boats and waterfalls. I also LOVE being able to see the view and fireworks show from the upper levels of the Dreams tower. It really adds to the overall experience.

We are stayng at the Grand Californian this August because we haven't stayed there in several years but we always find ourselves going back to the Disneyland Hotel.

If young kids aren't involved, if price is the primary factor or if staying on property isn't important then I'd use Priceline or Hotwire to book a 3+ star hotel in the Disneyland area. You'll save a lot of money, get a terrific room and in many cases be just as close to the resort as the Disneyland Hotel.

I've stayed at the Hilton that's right across the street from the California Screamin coaster, the rooms are very nice, the beds are like sleeping on a cloud and the facilities are excellent. I booked it through Hotwire for $60 per night. I also just booked the Hyatt Regency Orange County for the first night of our upcoming visit and there are lots of Micechatters that have lots of good things to say about it.

I hope that helps.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

Thanks! I think my family decided on the Grand Californian for this trip! Thanks for your tips!
    -Tyler

• Sha-lalalalala my oh my

Good choice!! The Grand Californian is beautiful and over looking DCA is so cool... Have a great time!!

Thanks! I definately will, I lovve Disney theme parks!

I love having great views of the theme parks and how relaxed and nice it is. I also loved the Wilderness Lodge in Flordia. They are quite simular, right?
    -Tyler

Do they allow "pool-hopping" when staying at one of the three hotels?
    For example, if I were to stay at Paradise Pier for a night, would my family and I be able to use Grand Californian's pool and the Neverland pool as well?
    Thanks!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaperCutter92 View Post
    For example, if I were to stay at Paradise Pier for a night, would my family and I be able to use Grand Californian's pool and the Neverland pool as well?
    Thanks!
    No, the pool gates are keyed to your room key, and only the keys issued to that specific hotel open the gates.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by PaperCutter92 View Post
    Thanks!

Take it from someone who actually stays at the DLH/PPH/GCH at least four to six times per year.

YES, you can "pool hop" between the three pools.

We do it all of the time.

When we stay at the GCH, the kids say that their pool is "boring", so we head on over to either the PPH or the DLH and use the pools there.

When we enjoy a stay at the DLH and the kids want to enjoy the waterslide at the PPH, we head on over there. Or if we are staying at the PPH or the DLH and they want to enjoy a poolside snack from the Whitewater, then we'll head over there, get a snack, then use their pool.

Sure, your key won't work at the other pools (though they used to), but all you have to do is ask any CM or Lifeguard, show them your room key and they will let you in.

Enjoy!