• The 1000th Happy Haunt

Smile A question about the surrounding hotel area.

Hello =)

Great site! We visit both the Florida and California parks fairly frequently, but have always stayed onsite for the past 15 years or so. For the California park we usually stay at the classic Disney hotel. This has been a Florida year, but next year back to the original (I miss Mr Toad...Alice...etc). We are also bringing a larger group this time (oldest daughter just got married) and will consider staying at one of the nearby good neighbor hotels to save some $$. From what I have read the howard johnson's sounds nice and close enough...maybe 2 rooms with park views in the first tower...perhaps late April or early May? At any rate I was wondering what the neighborhood is like and the walk between the park and hotel. Are they nice and clean/safe? I am used to a nice stroll through downtown disney to go to the parks. Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

• The 1000th Happy Haunt

Re: A question about the surrounding hotel area.

Sorry, one more thing. I didn't consider staying much further away from the park because I have read some bad things about the shared bus system most of the hotels use. Is it really that run-down and crowded?

• Embrace the kitsch!

Smile Re: A question about the surrounding hotel area.

The immediate area a few blocks around the Park is safe enough to walk in, especially if you're in a large group.

Howard Johnson is a great hotel, but it's not in a great location. It backs up against Interstate 5 and the noise never stops. I'm told it depends on what part of the hotel you're in, but I live in the country and I'm used to dead quiet at night. To answer your next question, I recommend the Candy Cane Inn.

As for the time of year, early May is probably better than April. Springtime is convention season, where lots of people are coming on the company's dime, and the hotels are priced accordingly. Anymore, March and April are as busy as June and July used to be. Crowd patterns have been turned topsy turvy over what they were just 10 years ago. There's another thread around here where we discuss this.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I am a BIG HoJo fan.... never had an issue with Freeway noise!

Yesterday, the Noon Meet at the Hub folks went to have lunch at Mimi's Cafe, next door to HoJo's, and we had NO issues... safe and close, the distance is just over 1/2 of a mile from the center of the Main Entrance Plaza to the Front Lobby of HoJo's.

And another thing, HoJo's is a proud sponsor of MiceChat and has been WONDERFUL in all they have offered to us. (Heck, even FREE parking for Gumball Rally 3!)
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• The 1000th Happy Haunt

Right now sounds like an early May for HJs...but I was curious about the Candy Cane Inn too. Do they offer a nice discount for micechat members too? I think I also read that they have their own shuttle service and don't rely on the shared one? Thanks =)

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by Pjimmeyer View Post
    Right now sounds like an early May for HJs...but I was curious about the Candy Cane Inn too. Do they offer a nice discount for micechat members too? I think I also read that they have their own shuttle service and don't rely on the shared one? Thanks =)
    No MC discounts for the Candy Cane, but their value for the price is unbeatable. They really try to be a cut above other motels in the area, w/ nice landscaping and a full breakfast, not just pastries & coffee.
    They also have a dedicated shuttle, as you mentioned, which runs every half hour.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Im the fun mommy :)

You can also try the Farifield Inn, its down from Howard johnsons and also has rave reviews. Closer to the park !! oh and I believe its Mimi's that has 99 cent breakfast with an adult meal .
    -------------------------------------------
    I miss dole whips......... can someone mail me one??

Anywhere within reasonable walking distance of the resort is pretty safe. I've never felt unsafe in my life. However, if you go a few miles I can't say the same.
    "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Over the years I've stayed at several places around the resort. On Harbor I've stayed at The Park Vue, The Anaheim Plaza (twice), The Candy Cane (twice), The Ramada Limited, on Katella the Anabella, and most recently the Ramada Plaza (I've posted a review in this forum). I've also stayed at the Quality Inn on Manchester.

I've never had a problem with any place I've stayed at. The Park Vue is nice and very close to the park, (right across the street) very nice continental breakfast, but has been to pricey for me lately. It has free parking.

The Quality Inn on Manchester was basic but nice, friendly staff breakfast with waffles but it is close to the freeway and I did hear some noise when I stayed there, but I would stay there again. The beds are pillow top and comfy. They aren't on the ART system, but there is a shuttle pick up across the street at HoJo's if you wanted to use ART. Parking is free.

The Anaheim Plaza is an older property, but when I stayed there the rooms were clean and good sized. The second time I was on a second floor room that had a small, but nice balcony. The staff was friendly and helpful, but there is no breakfast and they charge $4 a day parking fees I believe.

The Candy Cane is a very nice, well maintained property. The rooms are on the small side, but very nice and comfortable. When I was there it had a decent continental breakfast, not what I would consider a full breakfast. A full breakfast to me includes sausage and or bacon and eggs. What I was was your basic toast, bagels, fruit, juice and milk. It does have its own shuttle to the park that runs every 30 minutes, but its also not to far to walk. Parking is free.

Its actually been a few years since I've stayed at the Annabella, but when I did it was very nice. Rooms were well appointed and comfortable. What little interaction with the staff I had they were great. From what I've seen of recent reviews of this place, its still a very nice place to stay if it fits in your budget.

The Ramada Limited is further down on Harbor. When I stayed a couple of years ago it was ok for the price. Rooms were basic. It too is an older property but the room was clean and I had no issues. The staff were wonderful because there was a mix up with my ART tickets I had sent to the motel, but the staff helped me out. They have free parking, but parking at the motel is very limited. Had I not been able to find a spot to park, they said I would have to park at the motel next door.

And the Ramada Plaza you can see my review complete with pictures in this forum.

And I've always felt safe walking around the resort area, even by myself. Usually there are a lot of others walking back and forth from the surrounding motels, and even walking to the Quality Inn on Manchester, the street is extremely well lit.

As for the ART system... I've used it several times. I've never had any issues with it until the last time I was down there. I think a lot depends on the route, the driver etc. Its not 100% dependable or on schedule, but if you're not within a comfortable walking distance, or its late and you're tired, its not that bad.

For an idea of where motels are in relation to the park, this is a good site:

Bret's Disneyland Lodging LinkMap
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 07-08-2009 at 10:28 PM.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• The 1000th Happy Haunt

Thanks very very much! This will help a lot...what a great community here. I have to admit that reading the forums and reviews here help my work day go a little faster. Have to get my Disney fix somehow =)

if you stay at the Fairfield Inn, you can request connecting rooms. also, the upper 2(?) floors on the west side of the east tower have a great view of the fireworks (the lower floors are partially blocked by the west tower). the rooms on the north side of the west tower have a sideways view.

your shouldn't have a problem in the area within walking distance to the park.

I don't remember the name but the closet hotel I've stayed at is just accross the street from the transportation plaza on the east side. 4 or 5 hotels closer than Fairfield Inn.

Has anyone stayed at the Cortona Inn?

• Nerd

The HoJo's is nice. the neighborhood around Disneyland is safe. There is about a million Anaheim PD all over that place. They even have thier own Police Station backstage at DLR. Its a short walk and I'm sure the freeway noise is a non-issue. they probably have very quiet windows. The airconditioner in my room at the Disneyland Hotel made more noise than a freeway. Have Fun