• Disney & Anime Fan

DLH or GC, which is best during construction in August

We are a family of 5, with 3 kids 6,8,9. We are visiting in August and I just found out about construction at DLH. We are staying 5 nights, difference between the two hotels is $400, for the 5 nights. Which is best? I have read the comments on the boards, and have heard good and bad for both. We will need to get a room with 2 queens and sofa bed at DLH or at a queen and bunk bed with trundle at GC. And we plan on using the pool at least once. We also won't have a car and will do all of our trip at the resort area.

I have stayed at some pretty bad hotels on Katella and further but now convience is key. I don't mind spend the extra money if it will be the best for the family, since we only make a trip once in every 5 to 6 years.

I heard construction will be on Dreams tower at DLH and at Grand Californian I haven't had any info on what is impacted.

We will spend most of time at Disneyland, with one day at California Adventure.

This will be first trip for all 3 kids and a belated b-day for me, and early b-day for my oldest kid.

• Sock Puppet

Re: DLH or GC, which is best during construction in August

Don't even think twice about the construction.

We have stayed on property through all of the construction projects during the past 20 years and we still stay there four to six times per year.

It really is a non-issue...

Enjoy your birthday celebrations!

• Laughing Place Finder

It's a good question... the factors we always weigh on choosing our hotel are:

Price
    Pools
    Dining
    Convenience
    Overall hotel experience

When it comes to price, obviously DLH will usually be less expensive than GCH.

My wife and 2nd grade daughter and I prefer the theming, pool and hotel experience at the Disneyland Hotel to the GCH. The theming at GCH is so subdued that it is almost invisible. Some people like that aspect but to me it can easily feel like I am not part of the DL resort.

Walking into the lobby of DLH where you can see Mickey Mouse and pictures of Walt, the park and Sleeping Beauty Castle really make you feel like you are part of an original Disney experience. As impressive as the lobby of GCH is I don't get the same goosebump feelings I get walking into DLH.

The Redwood Pool at GCH has always felt fairly boring to me. In comparison. the Peter Pan Pool at the Disneyland Hotel is endlessly pleasant, relaxing and fun for us. The Skull Rock waterslide, the Capt. Hook Pirate Ship and the Little Mermaid hot tub are always major highlights of our trips. And when these are lit up at night it's an amazing sight.

While I've been told that resort guests of GCH can use the Neverland Pool at DLH, I'm sure most people tend to not want to walk from one hotel to the other in their swim gear.

Some people talk about how much closer to the Disneyland main gates GCH is than DLH. We almost always take the monorail into the park to save on walking and avoid the long security and entrance lines. The funny thing is that the walk from both hotels to the monorail station turns out to be roughly the same. Of course GCH has its own entrance to DCA so there's no comparison there....

I quite like the White Water Snacks restaurant at GCH for price, convenience and menu choices. Disneyland Hotel's choices for casual, non-character dining aren't nearly as good in my opinion.

As for character dining I always enjoy Goofy's Kitchen at DLH and it's just about a tradition for my family on each trip. I've heard mixed reviews on Storyteller's Cafe at GCH.

Some hidden gems of the DLH are little things like the koi ponds, the paths that wind around the waterfalls, the remote control jungle cruise boats and the pleasantness of the central grounds are all nice treats that might surprise you. Every time we walk under the huge sparkling Sorcerer's Apprentice Cap at DLH always pits us in a giddy mood. I can't think of much at GCH that would come close to that other than the storytelling and the lobby hearth.

With a family of 5, a GCH room with the bunk bed and trundle bed certainly sounds like a more convenient fit for your family. Squeezing a 5th sleeper into the DLH hotel rooms sounds like a tighter fit than the bunk bed layout at GCH.

As far as the construction goes you can certainly request a room away from the construction when you book the room and when you check in. I can't imagine they would put you into a room where you'd be exposed to jackhammers, pounding noise and dust. However if you want to eliminate ANY chance of that GCH would probably be the better choice. As far as I know the construction of the Vacation Club wing at GCH should be mostly done by August.

You'll notice from my post that I prefer DLH to GCH. Of course my signature touts that we're going to GCH in late August. We're doing this because my wife and daughter want to reacquaint themselves with the fancy "4-star-ness" of the GCH but I'm pretty sure we'll go back to visiting DLH 1-2 times per year after this trip.

Good luck making your choice. I hope I helped and didn't muddy the waters too much.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• Disney & Anime Fan

Thanks, we went to the Travel agent and picked up our tickets and stuff yesterday. They called and they management at the hotel hasn't been told yet. We decided to stick with DLH, after they said the price is now $800 more to switch. Wow what a difference two weeks makes in reservations. We after looking forward to the trip and hope for the best. My kids are counting the days, down. 21 more days til trip!

• Laughing Place Finder

Congratulations on your booking at the Disneyland Hotel. Your family will have a blast! Make sure you take some time to go swimming. Your kids will love the Neverland pool and the terrific waterslide they have there. It always makes a perfect mid-day cool-down break.

You'll also really enjoy the convenience of taking the monorail in and out of the park. It will save a lot of pounding on your family's knees and feet and it will save you a lot of time standing in security and park entrance lines.

Enjoy the experience and soak up the Disney magic. Let us all know how it goes and if you have any questions just us know.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.