• Disney & Anime Fan

Will I need a real Credit Card for DLH check in?

I just was wondering, has anyone encountered problems with checking in at DLH without a Credit Card? I have a Debit card, but not a real credit card, I will be taking travelers checks and have paid in full my trip via, travel agency via Walt Disney travel Company.

I kind of wondered because I thought when we went to WDW with my parents back in 1998, they had to have one on file for room charges, etc.

It's too late to get a credit card but I could get a preloaded card, but wonder what amount do they hold? I know some hotels put a hold against damage to rooms, does Disney?

Also will we have any other fees when we get there? I know there is a resort fee, but don't think they charged us for it.

Thanks any info. or pointing to a thread would be good.

Re: Will I need a real Credit Card for DLH check in?

I think a debit card, as long as it has a VISA or MC symbol on it, should suffice. The amount they hold against incidentals varies with hotels . Call the front desk now and ask them. They should be able to answer your questions quickly. Enjoy your trip!

• Disney & Anime Fan

Thanks, I found out my Debit will only allow $1499 a purchase to go, so paying for my trip I had to pay it in 3 payments to pay in full. I will check with the hotel and also let my bank know I am going, so I won't have any problems.

• Banned User

I am actually glad that this question was brought up, because I am trying to cut back on credit card use and knowing whether or not a debit card can be used actually would come in handy......

also I have a question to add to the conversation: what about prepaid visa/mastercard gift cards?

• Laughing Place Finder

I've always been able to check in using my debit card for incidentals with no problem.

On my business travels I've found that most hotels put a hold (I'm sure that's not the correct technical term but I can't think of the real term) on $100 on your debit card.

DLH has been a lot more relaxed about this in the past though. I know for a fact though that on one of my last trips in 2007 I checked into DLH the day before I got paid and had less than $100 available so I think they just told me I wouldn't be able to charge anything to my room until they could get that "hold-authorization" thing on my debit card.

So long story short, you shouldn't have any problem checking in. They won't turn you away but definitely call the front desk at DLH to see what their current requirements are.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• Disney & Anime Fan

Thanks Darth Mickey, I am glad someone has done this before.
    Hey you're from Washington also. LOL. We live 1 hr away from Seattle.

less than 12 days until Disney

• Laughing Place Finder

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeMomLeika View Post
    Thanks Darth Mickey, I am glad someone has done this before.
    Hey you're from Washington also. LOL. We live 1 hr away from Seattle.

less than 12 days until Disney
    Oh cool. I love the Rainier pic you have for your Avatar. I live about 6 miles north of the Space Needle between Ballard and Shoreline. We've done the Seattle to DL trip about 5 time since we moved up from LA.

If you have any questions on the details of planning or making these trips work feel free to let me know. Every trip we make we learn a few new tricks and tips that we apply to our next trip.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

You can just say no thanks when they offer to link a credit card to your room, esp. if you are already planning to pay cash/traveler's checks for everything during your stay. It definitely makes it easier to keep an eye on your spending when it comes out of your actual wallet!
    A signature should go here.

• Disney & Anime Fan

Well I am back from our trip (aug 14 -19), and not only did I not need a real credit card, they didn't ask for any card. Just handed my WA drivers license over to look at, and my hotel voucher from Walt Disney Travel Company.

And at the end I checked out and had no other fees or anything to pay, it was great.

• Laughing Place Finder

Excellent. That's always great news to hear.

I'll confess there have been times that my expenses getting to my destination were higher than expected.

There's nothing like holding your breath and crossing your fingers when checking in that you won't have any last second problems preventing you from checking in.

How was your trip? Busy I'm sure. I hope your flights went well. Posting a trip report? Just 8 more days for me.

• Disney & Anime Fan

We actually used cash first, and then our debit card which was kind of bad because we had a automatic deposit while we were at the park, so we ended up using even more than we wanted. But since we don't own a credit card, I won't get a bill in the mail at least.

I will be posting a trip report on my second favorite chat site, I don't know if I can mention it here, where I am doing a detailed trip report. Because I use this and the other to check info. for Disney trips.

But we had fun and we scored pilot licenses for the Mark Twain for the girls, Jungle Cruise maps and 1st visit buttons. We also had issues with power outages, bathroom lights being almost totally out, and even more power outages. But we had a great housekeeper who did turn down service and left us chocolate coins on our 3 beds. And we also got a Mickey and Minnie photo with a mini cake made from ribbon and towels from Housekeeping. My 3 girls also got free backpacks at check in and coloring books. And we ate at Goofy's kitchen for breakfast our 2, 3 and 4th mornings. Our 1st day started at 2am to get up for trip to airport, and arrived at 10am at the park, with the 1st day being 20 hours. Everyday was filled with fun and lasted almost until 12am. We spent 1 of the 5 days at CA and it was our shortest day in the park but we still didn't get into bed until almost 12am.

Funny note we had 10 bags when we went with 1 checked, others carryon's and when we left we had 10 bags as carry on's and 3 checked bags. TSA opened our luggage, because they left a note in the bag but because we have TSA locks, they didn't break them. They removed only one item, spray sunlotion. But left a second one. Which Sea-Tac allowed through, but John Wayne didn't. Funny huh?

So we can't wait until our next trip.