Best Disneyland Resort

We are thinking about taking a trip to DL for spring break 2010. We are DVC members and are interested in scheduling a studio or 1 bedroom at one of the resorts. Where would you suggest we stay? We love the broadwalk Villas at WDW, but I do not know anything about the resorts in California.

Also provide any recommendations on sites to see while in California. We will probably schedule a 1 week vacation.

Thanks for your assistance.

• Laughing Place Finder

Re: Best Disneyland Resort

I'm also a DVC member. My family and I spend most of our trips in Disneyland rather than WDW.

Obviously you have far fewer resort choices at DLR than in Florida. The most luxurious hotel and the most efficient use of your vacation points will be at the new DVC Grand Californian Villas. I'm not sure how tough it will be to book a room there 7 months in advance assuming that you don't have home resort points there, but I'd bet you wouldn't have too much trouble.

Since you like Boardwalk Villas, the Grand Californian Hotel will probably be the one DLR hotel that is modern and nice enough to fit the standards you are used to.

Personally I still like to stay at the Disneyland Hotel. The theming there is a lot more fun, the Neverland pool is far more fun and there are so many more nice little touches like the waterfalls, the koi ponds, the Jungle Cruise R/C boats, the views, etc that you just don't get at the Grand Californian. Plus the DL Hotel is going through a pretty major renovation with new room decor.

I also like knowing that the Disneyland Hotel is a Disneyland original. Even though Walt didn't own it and it has changed so much over the years it's still fun to feel a connection to Walt when you are at DLH.

I can't really speak about Paradise Pier Hotel as I've never bothered to walk over there. I'm sure it's perfectly decent but it is a longer walk than the GCH or DLH.

Good luck with your planning. If you need any help from a DVC member who grew up on Disneyland in So Cal. and knows it pretty well feel free to ask me anything.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

Re: Best Disneyland Resort

Well if you are used to broadwalk Villas at WDW then you are used to really nice resorts... so eliminate paradise pier from your selection. I normally recommend the Disneyland Hotel, but in this case I would recommend the Grand California.

Grand Califnornia: Pros:
    -Standard rooms are nicer than the DLH (Seems you are used to nicer rooms)
    -Zero distance walk to California Adventure (Private Enterance)
    -Better pool for Adults
    -MUCH better Lobby

Cons:
    Rooms only take 4 not 5... plus EXPENSIVE!!!!

Disneyland Hotel: Pros:
    -Much cheaper than Grand Califnornia
    -Sort walk and excuse to use the Monorail
    -Walk down Downtown Disney is nice
    -Better pool for kids
    - Can use the Grand California California Adventure private enterance as well.

Cons:
    -Under Construction, therefore you should try it next time to see the new rooms