• Minion

Hotel Options In Walking Distance

I am hoping both for advice and to maybe offer help to others

I planning my trip my goal is to have a relatively cheap hotel (I don't spend much time in the room anyway). I want it within walking distance, either of the main gate or of a parking garage for the shuttles.

In checking I have the following options (with prices for mid April)

Opinions of hotels and ability to walk to park are appreciated as I want to book this week.

1. Alamo Inn on Katella at $ 49

2. Super 8 on Disneyland Drive at $ 50

3. Castle Inn on Harbor at $ 53

4. Econo Lodge on Katella at $ 56

5. Abby's Anaheimer on Katella at $ 62

6. Quality Inn on Manchester at $ 68

7. Stovalls Inn on Katella at $ 68

So given these choices, what are opinions as to good or bad places, ones to avoid, ease of park access, etc

Thanks !
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Merry 2014!

Re: Hotel Options In Walking Distance

I have stayed at Super 8 on Disneyland Drive and Stovalls. Both are very basic but clean accomadations.

Super 8 is quite a walk to Disneyland. The desk said 15 minutes. It took me 25. I think it was close to 15 minutes just to Mickey and Friends parking. I took ART the rest of the time as there were only 3 motels on the route at that time so it was not crowded. I would not walk to this motel after dark as it's just a little creepy on Ball Rd.

I didn't like Stovall's much because the staff was rude, but the room was fine. It's also quite a walk from there to the parks and unfortuneatly, the ART trolley was always full. You walk the whole distance of DCA plus a block or two.

I have never been comfortable at any Econo Lodge. Usually dingy rooms in not that great areas of town.

Probably your best bet might be the Quality Inn on Manchester. I have never stayed there but a friend has and it was a good, basic, clean room that was just a little beyond HoJo's which would be not too bad of a walk. It is probably one of the closest cheaper motels around Disneyland.

Hope this helps.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I've stayed at the Quality Inn several times. If fact, they remembered me the last time I stayed there! I asked for a ground floor room for the next time I was coming down (the following month, already had it booked online), and they assigned my room for me in the computer for me then!

Its a pretty basic place, but then I'm not in the room that much so its ok for me. It is close to the 5 freeway, so you will get some noise, but my hearing isn't that good so it didn't bother me much. You can also hear the fireworks at Disneyland very well!

The staff has always been friendly and accommodating, the continental breakfast is pretty basic but they do have do it yourself waffles, and there is always a staff member there making sure everything is cleaned up and filled up.

As far as walking, its about a 10-15 minute walk to the park. (I'm a slow walker). They don't have an ART stop, but if you wanted to take and ART shuttle, if you already have an ART pass you can just walk across the street to HoJo's and catch it at the stop there.

Another place thats basic, but within walking distance is the Anaheim Plaza. Its an older property, but you can sometimes get a good rate on their rooms. They don't have breakfast, and charge I think $4 a day for parking (the Quality Inn charges a $3.15 "resort fee."), but the rooms are good sized.

In this thread there are a couple of different maps showing the locations of hotels in proximity to the park:

Walking distance motels?!?!

These are some pictures I took of the first room I stayed in at the Quality Inn:

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Disneymom

We've stayed at the Super 8 DL drive and loved it. Great service, good breakfast, clean rooms.
    We've stayed at Super 8 on Harbor...HATED IT.
    we've stayed at EDEN Roc and loved it. Smaller breakfast but everything else was ok. Don't stay in 403 Ithink that was it. A really creepy feeling in that room .There is thread on MC about it. I was put in that room and rfused to stay in it cause it made me feel creepy. We stayed in 230 and loved it.

I'm not sure what the prices are like, but we stay at The Alpine Inn on Katella. 10 min walk to the gate and clean rooms with decent service. Runs between 60-80 per night depending on when. We're always happy there. It is right behind the park across from the Anahiem Convention Center. It looks like a cabin with snow on it-- which I like. Silly.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

• A Pirate's life for me!

We avoid the "Harbor Inn's" like the plague.

We were forced to stay at the Castle Inn some time ago and will never do that again! It reinforced our reasons for avoiding the flea bag motels...

They couldn't pay us to stay there again!

You can catch bed bugs whether you are in the room for five hours or five minutes! Yikes!

If you have to be within walking distance, I'd recommend staying at either the Candy Cane or the Marriott next to the convention center.

The walk to the Marriott is not that bad and they usually offer discount rates. Back in our stroller days, I would just walk back pushing the stroller while the others would either walk with me or use the shuttle.

The Candy Cane is even closer and they have their own free shuttle. Well worth the few bucks more than any of the places that you listed...

Looking at your listed rates, they can pretty much all be beaten by using Priceline. Go for the three and a half star ratings and start your bidding at $40 to $45/night. Most of the time you will end up with the Crowne Plaza, the Hyatt, the Marriott Suites, the Doubletree, the Marriott or the Hilton.

Some of them offer free shuttles but even if you do have to pay for a shuttle, you will still be ahead of the game considering the places that you have listed. And they are all 1000% better!

Good luck and don't let the bed bugs bite!!!

• Minion

Thanks for the input but I got a decent price at Stovall so I booked it.

I don't mind a short walk, it only looks to be about 1/2 mile or so to the Monorail.
    ďAny sequel three or higher..... around number five they get a new cast, thatís when the magic really happens": Modern Family

• Banned User

omg!!!!!

have you not tried the hojo.. howard johnson.. 8 min walk to park..safe too!! they may not serve breakfast,but it beats the econo lodge..and if you are on a budget this hotel fits right into a budget hotel--its on harbor..its clean, nice got balcons....blah blah blah.. here go to the link!

Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel - Anaheim/Disneyland Park

they also have discounts!!!! and they dont charge a resort fee to park!! FREE PARKING! can't beat that!

also read my blog on the review of the hotel if you wish, i stayed there as some other mice chatters have and i to was VERY impressed

• Merry 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    I'm not sure what the prices are like, but we stay at The Alpine Inn on Katella. 10 min walk to the gate and clean rooms with decent service. Runs between 60-80 per night depending on when. We're always happy there. It is right behind the park across from the Anahiem Convention Center. It looks like a cabin with snow on it-- which I like. Silly.
    I really like alpine inn too and it is family owned.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfan View Post
    Thanks for the input but I got a decent price at Stovall so I booked it.

I don't mind a short walk, it only looks to be about 1/2 mile or so to the Monorail.
    It's 1.4 miles from Stovall's to the Rainforest Cafe in DTD. I think that is pretty close to the monorail.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by love♥dca View Post
    omg!!!!!

have you not tried the hojo.. howard johnson.. 8 min walk to park..safe too!! they may not serve breakfast,but it beats the econo lodge..and if you are on a budget this hotel fits right into a budget hotel--its on harbor..its clean, nice got balcons....blah blah blah.. here go to the link!

Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel - Anaheim/Disneyland Park

they also have discounts!!!! and they dont charge a resort fee to park!! FREE PARKING! can't beat that!

also read my blog on the review of the hotel if you wish, i stayed there as some other mice chatters have and i to was VERY impressed
    I did try HoJo

Over $ 100 a night versus $ 65 at Stovall, unless you know of a better deal

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasmico! View Post
    I really like alpine inn too and it is family owned.

It's 1.4 miles from Stovall's to the Rainforest Cafe in DTD. I think that is pretty close to the monorail.
    How did you measure that ?

According to Google Earth it measures out at 0.5 miles or so down Disneyland Drive

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfan View Post
    How did you measure that ?

According to Google Earth it measures out at 0.5 miles or so down Disneyland Drive
    Gmaps Pedometer FTW!

Move the map to your general area... change if you want the path to be by runners/bikes/or direct line... click start recording... double click to add a point on the map. Keep adding points and watch the distance
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Gmaps Pedometer FTW!

Move the map to your general area... change if you want the path to be by runners/bikes/or direct line... click start recording... double click to add a point on the map. Keep adding points and watch the distance
    Cool web site

And I trusted your distances

• Merry 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Gmaps Pedometer FTW!

That website is awesome! Before, I just used Rand McNally for general distance which apparently were wrong. I noticed there wasn't a direct route on Disneyland Dr. but it sure is fun to play with!

edit: I figured out the right map for walking routes. That hybrid map is even cooler!
    Last edited by Fantasmico!; 03-26-2010 at 09:34 PM.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!