Thread: Desert Inn?

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Desert Inn?

Has anyone stayed here? It seems to have very high ratings and reviews.

Re: Desert Inn?

Maybe no one has stayed at the Desert Inn...I personally have not either. I just finished reading a guidebook about Disneyland and they went to visit all of the hotels surrounding the area and they gave the Desert Inn and Suites a room quality of 79 out of 100. The highest rating they gave was a 90 to Disneys Grand Californian. That probably does not help but just in case
    Vacation...Counting Down the Days...Disneyland Here I Come

I stayed there by myself last year it was good. Its right by dennys not easy parking i have a big car and it was tight parking spaces.the place was packed this was in march of 09 i would stay again but this time im staying at the hojo.the staff there is fine there is a deck on the top were you can watch the fireworksbut they had it closed and i was there for 5 days i thought that was wrong. I would give it a 7 out of 10.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

I've stayed their before a couple of times. To me, nothing to write home about. However it's clean and literally right across the street from the parks. So you get to avoid the parking hassle. It has a dated look to it when I stayed about 6 years ago and I'm sure it hasn't changed too much. They do all come with a microwave and a fridge so that's good. Parking can be a little tight, the spaces are small and the parking area is small. It is your typical motel from the 60's era. But I never had any problems when I've stayed there.

The Desert Inn & Suites is the only hotel that we have stayed at so far on trips to Disneyland (one in September '09 and one in January '10). We absolutely love the price and the closeness to the parks. We have had nothing but good experiences there. We have two more trips booked to stay this year (with one other trip booked at the Anaheim Plaza because they had a lower rate). It is not fancy but the continental breakfast helps to get us going in the morning and the free wifi internet is great. They have always let us park early on our check-in day and leave the car until 2:00 on our check-out day (of course we only do trips in value season so YMMV).
    Me (Monique, 44) , DH (44) , DS (11) , DD (7)
    My trips:
    DLR - every year when I was a kid, took a 21 year break and finally returned 9/09.
    DLR - 9/09, 1/10, 4/10, 9/10, & one last annual pass trip 1/11.
    WDW - 9/06

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I've stayed there twice. I felt very meh about the first stay, the second not so hot. We were on the third floor and the windows didn't lock or have screens, not very safe with small children. The Fridge was missing out of the room and it took forever for them to bring another one. The a/c had issues and the front desk staff wasn't too friendly. But, take this with a grain of salt that was about 5 years ago.

I prefer the Best Western Park Place Inn and Suites right at the crosswalk or the Camelot Inn and Suites three hotels past that. I've stayed at both multiple times and have never had a bad stay.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

Our large family stayed there once. The room/suites are roomy & were clean. The location is prime, since you go out of the motel & are almost at the pedestrian crosswalk into the park. The parking lot is small & larger vehicles are almost impossible to park there. The breakfast is nothing to write home about & the pool is small & inside.

We had an issue with the room above us overflowing their bathtub to the point of coming thru the light fixtures in our room. It soaked one of our beds & management sent housekeeping up with new sheets. We told them the mattress was soaked & a new set of sheets would not take care of the problem. Management didn't get too excited about wanting to fix the issue until my mother-in-law went down to the office. We had a new/dry mattress in our room by dinner.

With that being said, the price is great for what you get. They have a viewing deck for watching the fireworks which we loved. If you don't plan on spending hours a day in your room....this place is great!! If you want lots of pool time, you may want to look at another motel.

Good luck in your decision & have a great trip!!!

PS: You were my 1st post!!!!

"Always Disney Dreaming"

• world class bilge rat

I've stayed at the Desert Inn about a dozen times in the last 4 years. It's usually me (53 year single old guy) my daughter (15), and 3 or 4 of her friends. We get the Parlor Suite A with Spa.

This room is ideal for us, as you walk in the door, there's a room with a couch that folds into a bed, and a TV. There's a wall with a door leading into a room with two queen beds, a mini-fridge, microwave, and bathroom. This way, once the door in the divider is closed, I have my privacy, and the girls have theirs. There's also one of those Jacuzzi bathtubs. The jets feel GREAT on my feet!

The rooms are clean, and it's pretty quiet. Parking is free, only one car per room, and spaces are kinda tight. The room I get is on the 5th floor, there are two elevators. One is in the middle, and goes from the lower-lever parking garage up to the 5th floor. The other is at the end closest to DL, and only goes up to the 3rd floor. We usually take that one, and then the stairs up to the 5th floor.

There's an indoor pool, I think it closes a couple of hours after DL closes. There's a rooftop observation deck above the 5th floor with a great view of the fireworks at DL. There's also a little shop that has candy, soda, and stuff like that. If you get your DL tickets at the lobby when you check in, they're a bit less expensive, plus you don't have to wait in line at DL, just go straight to the turnstiles.

Breakfast is 7AM to 9:30AM or something like that. It's self-serve, Danish pastries, O.J., milk, cold cereal, fruit, toast, and maybe more that I can't remember.

It takes us right at 6 minutes to walk to the security checkpoint at DL, and another two minutes to the turnstiles at DL or DCA.

It's on Harbor Blvd., there's McDonalds, Quizznos, Cold Stone ice cream, and a few others within easy walking distance. There's a Captain Kidds nearby, it gets consistent horrible reviews, I've never been there. Oh, and Tony Romas, great ribs.

Overall, I'd recommend it, especially if you're at the parks all day. I might try the HOJO next trip though. Last time I was at DL, I walked over and checked it out. It seemed rather nice, and the walk from the security checkpoint at DL was 11 minutes.

Rob

• Shifting cargo

Thanks for asking this, Stitchy. I'm staying there for my first time for my 5-day trip in May. The best thing seems to be the proximity to the park. There's no need to worry about trams or shuttles and the prices are very reasonable. I booked 4 months ago and I got a deal for $62 a night. Not bad!

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Thank you SOOO much for your replies.

We ended up booking a couple of rooms at this hotel. It really seemed to fit the bill. We were basically looking for someplace clean, with free parking, breakfast, a pool and most importantly...a laundry room. We won't be spending much time in the room or at the hotel, in general...so the extras weren't that important to us. We just need someplace to crash at the end of the day. LOL

We are SO excited about our trip.....we are planning on spending every waking moment in the parks. The closeness to the parks will enable my parents to take the car back anytime they want, and we can walk back at the end of the night. I can just picture my father...cup of coffee in hand, on the rooftop patio, watching the world go by. LOL