Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Laughing Place Finder

Talking Trying Crowne Plaza Anaheim for the first time

We just booked the Crowne Plaza Anaheim through Hotwire for $63 a night for a trip from 4/21-4/26. My family and I are finally moving back to LA from Seattle after 4+ years so we'll be visiting Disneyland, the beaches and scouting out places to live in the Aliso Viejo area.

I've read some old and very mixed reviews on here and at tripadvisor.com. I've used Priceline and Hotwire before to stay at the Convention Center Hilton, the Hyatt Regency and the Holiday Inn on Manchester next to I-5.

So far I've mostly heard that the beds and linens are comfy and wonderful and that each room gets a good night pack with eye masks and lavender scent sprays. On the flip side I've heard that the parking lot is cramped, poorly lit and a long walk from the lobby. I've also heard mixed experiences about the Hyatt / Crowne Plaza Hotel shuttle and would be interested to hear about Micechatters's experiences.

Most reviews I've read complain that the hotel charges a $12 per night Resort Charge that covers parking, internet and swimming pool usage. Since most of the other hotels in the 3.5 * range charge this resort fee I just accept it and move on.

I'd love to hear more recent opinions on this hotel from fellow Micechatters. Was the staff friendly? The Hyatt Regency blew me away with their friendliness and hospitality last September and I'm curious how the Crowne Plaza compares.

Were the rooms clean? Was housekeeping sufficient? Was the restaurant worth trying? Is the room service as bad as I've read?

Does the hotel offer goodies for people that present their Crowne Plaza / Holiday Inn Priority Card? I know I won't get points since I booked through Hotwire but some people say they have still received free breakfast certificates.

Thanks in advance everyone! Cheers to you all!
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Re: Trying Crowne Plaza Anaheim for the first time

Welcome back!

I haven't stayed at this Crowne Plaza, so I can't say. I have stayed at other CPs, including Connecticut and NYC, and they were quite good.

For this particular one, aside from asking here I would also do a google search and see what other people say. Bear in mind that recommendations are sometimes invalid. I've stayed in a few hotels that I checked out online and those reviews were WAY off.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

We like the Crowne Plaza. The staff has always been extremely friendly and helpful. The parking situation is hit or miss. As far as the shuttle we have not had any problems once they started insisting that you show your hotel room key, before that people from neighboring hotels were inappropriately using the shuttle and they would get very crowded.

• no flash photography...

The rooms are very nice, beds comfy....I love it there...yes, parking is not ideal, but I usually valet.

• Laughing Place Finder

Thanks SnorkletsMom. I'm honored that you noticed I had been away for a while. Between our big Disneyland trip last fall and our Disneyworld trip this winter my family and I took some time to decompress from things Disney for a little while.

I did read quite a few reviews of this hotel on Tripadvisor.com and here on Micechat, however many of them were 2-4 years old. I guess I'm just trolling for the most recent reviews and info Micechatters have on this hotel since it seems to be on the lower end of the 3.5* hotels.

Thanks so much for the info on the shuttle Pratt55. I hadn't heard about people freeloading on the hotel shuttles and causing over-crowding.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

If you don't mind me asking, was there anything in the description on hotwire. (I'd love to get a room there). I'm guessing it's 3.5 stars,

I can tell you that with a Hotwire Rate, you wont get anything with a Chain's Frequent guest cards. That's part of the deal with hotwire.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

I stayed at Crowne Plaza in Anaheim/Garden Grove last year 3 times last year. I enjoyed it. Two of those stays were in November last year. I found the staff to be nice. Parking can be hit or miss. Each time I was able to find parking and one of those stays was over 4th of July wknd and coming back late at night. If you have to park all the way at the back I would say it's a 3-5 minute walk. Lighting could be better but it wasn't completely dark either. I always walked through back entrance came by the pool area and then walked in, then I didn't have to walk all the way around to the front. Beds are pretty comfy, to me pillows are a bit over stuffed. You can pay an extra ten bucks a night and get into the quiet zone and fridges are in the room too. Never used the shuttle or restaurant so can't comment on that. Housekeeping seemed up to par. Surprised you only found older tripadvisor reviews, I'm pretty sure I put in my review of this place on tripadvisor when I stayed last summer, probably didn't post a new one for November though. Anyway that is my experience of the place. I'm sure you would enjoy it there.

• Laughing Place Finder

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, was there anything in the description on hotwire. (I'd love to get a room there). I'm guessing it's 3.5 stars,

I can tell you that with a Hotwire Rate, you wont get anything with a Chain's Frequent guest cards. That's part of the deal with hotwire.
    The Crowne Plaza is a 3 1/2 Star hotel in the Disneyland South area on Hotwire. The posted amenities when I made the bid were:

Fitness Center
    Pool(s)
    Restaurant(s)

Business Center
    Laundry Facilities
    High-speed Internet Access

In the last 12 months Hotwire's 3 1/2 Star hotels in this are have gotten us the Hilton Convention Center, the Hyatt Regency and now the Crowne Plaza.

As for getting goodies with the Priority Rewards Card goes, I also believed that with Hotwire you don't get anything with it. I read several posts either on betterbidding.com or tripadvisor.com from people who used Priceline and Hotwire and still got their Welcome packet with their Reward card. I tried this at an East Coast Doubletree two months ago and I got my warm cookie, bottled water and welcome bag.

Basically I was looking to see if any Micechatters here could confirm from their experiences that they had successfully done this at Crowne Plaza or that they had tried this and failed.

Thanks and Cheers!

• Laughing Place Finder

Quote Originally Posted by 1Disneylandfan View Post
    Surprised you only found older tripadvisor reviews, I'm pretty sure I put in my review of this place on tripadvisor when I stayed last summer, probably didn't post a new one for November though. Anyway that is my experience of the place. I'm sure you would enjoy it there.
    Thanks for the info and the benefit of your experience. I'm glad to hear that it sounds like a pretty positive place. I definitely prefer to know what to expect before I get there as much as possible.

The Tripavisor reviews were helpful but some of the ones that really raised my eyebrow were between 1-3 years old. I wanted to come here and try to get more recent information from Micechatters.

Thanks again!

We are staying there the same time! Priceline too. Thanks for all the updated info.

• Laughing Place Finder

Cool deal Tea. Cheers to you. I wouldn't be surprised if we bump into each other on the shuttle. My daughter and I are the ones with the overloaded pin lanyards. If I can dig out a Darth Mickey doll you'll probably see it attached to our bag. LOL The Red Robin, Del Taco and Target at that intersection are a huge convenience!

Also, something I found yesterday that may be of interest to you is that Restaurant.com has discount $25.00 off coupons for the restaurant at the Sheraton Park Grill next door to the Crowne Plaza Hotel. (Zip code is 92840)

It also has a $25.00 off coupon for the House of Blues at Downtown Disney. If you use the discount code "Chow" during checkout you can get these discount certificates for about $2.00 each so it's a good deal and it expires today.

Cheers and I hope you have a great trip!

Thanks DM! I did get the House of Blues deal but didn't realize the Sheraton was next door! I'll grab that one too. I'll have my pins on too but no kids this time!! Hope you have a wonderful trip as well.

• Laughing Place Finder

Angry Re: Trying Crowne Plaza Anaheim for the first time

I just learned something odd and a little disturbing about the Anaheim Crowne Plaza's incidentals policy. I travel for business regularly and when I don't have a credit card available to use for incidentals then hotels normally authorize and hold a $100 deposit for incidentals and contingencies.

This is standard policy at 4 star hotels all over the country.

Not taking anything for granted and wanting to be thorough I emailed the front desk at the Anaheim Crowne Plaza hotel and received this info in reply:

"Our policy for a debit card is no different than a credit card. We typically authorize $100 per day upon check in up to $500. However, with a debit card the funds that are authorized on your card are held in your account. This means you will have a pending transaction on your account and will not have access to those funds while staying in the hotel. We release them when you check out but depending on your bank’s policies it may take three to five business days for those funds to become available to you in your account."

Since I will be there for more than five nights I find the idea that they'll be holding onto $500 for up to a week after I get home is pretty frustrating. I know the standard response would just be to say "use a credit card instead: but with the traveling requirements I'll need for my rental car and other issues my card will be maxed out before I get to the hotel. Argh. Very frustrating!!

Wow really??? 100.00/day??

• Laughing Place Finder

Yeah getting hit with a $500 hold on your debit card funds for 6-10 days after you check in seems pretty darn stiff to me. I've never needed more than $150 for incidentals before.

Lucky for me that I'll be able to work around this but I wouldn't be surprised if this policy has sunk a number of people's vacations immediately upon check-in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast