Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DLR Pools

DLR Pools

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on the pools at the DLR hotel properties. I've never stayed on property and see this as an important feature, but there's only so much your can surmise from the ads and google earth. I have two 6-year-olds who are relatively new swimmers (i.e. I can't really turn my back on them), but don't feel I have the energy for "pool hopping".

Any recommendations from those who have experienced these pools first hand?

• Laughing Place Finder

Re: DLR Pools

My 8 year-old daughter and I have stayed many times at the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian Hotel but have never stayed at Paradise Pier. I can honestly say the Peter Pan Neverland themed pool at the Disneyland Hotel is one of the most enjoyable kid-friendly pools we have ever used. The Skull Rock waterslide is an especially fun and nice touch. The pool is wide and open and the water is always warm and swimmable.

The main pool at the Grand Californian Hotel is more blandly themed in my opinion. It's basically a rectangle with a notch in one side for the redwood waterslide. It can get fairly over-crowded even in the fall and spring. The Grand Californian pool goes down to about 6 feet deep if I recall while the Disneyland Hotel's Neverland pool goes to about 5 feet at its deepest. This might be an important consideration for the younger kids.

I hope that helps. If you have any questions let me know.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• A Pirate's life for me!

We've practically raised our four kids in the DLH pools.

First with the olympic sized pool, then with the new Neverland Pool and the PPH pool (both the "old" and new ones). We've also used the pool at the GCH.

Our favorite is the Neverland Pool. It is very large and safe for the kids.

Second would be the PPH pool. Cool slide.

And finally, the pool at the GCH. Too small, crowded and boring.

Remember, if you stay at any of the three DL Resort hotels, you can enjoy any of their pools. Pool hopping is allowed. Heck, they used to promote that fact back when the "new" DL Resort first opened with the GCH/PPH.

Have fun!

• no flash photography...

I have stayed at all three hotels. Although I have never used the pools. I can tell you the nicest looking pool is the DLH pool.

• Hello Dolly.

DLH pool ftw.
    The pool is just perfectly made for children. The pool isn't too deep and they have a jacuzzi suitable enough for children.
    Swam at PP pool, which is nice too but more for teens with the bigger slide and much deeper pool. I only looked at GCH pool and haven't swam in it because out of the 3 it just looks boring.

Thanks for the insight - I think my instinct was right that the DLH pool makes it the best choice for us. Another poster on a different thread said the construction didn't really impact their recent visit too much, so I won't worry about that. I'm not an extremely picky hotel guest, as a rule.

I've reviewed a 'standard view' room at DLH - should I consider upgrading that to "resort/pool view" for an extra $128 in total to up my chances of being in an better room? "Upper level resort/pool view" is over $200 more. My real fear is ending up overlooking the parking lot air conditioner, or something god awful like that.

I think you'll find the front desk CM's to be very helpful. When you check in, kindly tell the CM that this is your first visit and ask if they have any rooms with a view as a complimentary upgrade. You might be surprised! (if nothing else, you can always pay for the upgrade at that time)

We are regulars at the DLH, so we are used to being upgraded to the Sierra Tower (called Dreams this week...) without even asking, but when we first started enjoying the DLH back in the late 80's, we would just ask and most of the time we would get it.

As a side note, back in those days we considered getting a room in the old bungalows an upgrade. They were a hidden secret from guests since most guests were tuned into a high numbered floor or a view of the surrounding area. We enjoyed the bungalows because they were two rooms combined into one and had rear patios (more like backyards!) that the kids could play in (when they were younger).

Be sure and ask for your complimentary autographed character pictures for the kids when you check in. Balloons too!

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post

Remember, if you stay at any of the three DL Resort hotels, you can enjoy any of their pools. Pool hopping is allowed. Heck, they used to promote that fact back when the "new" DL Resort first opened with the GCH/PPH.

Have fun!
    Currently, the only way anyone other than a registered guest can swim at the DLH or GC pools is if they sneak into the pool area.

Both DLH and GC pools have key card entry gates that are only opened with the correct hotel key. A DLH key card will not open the GC pool gate and vis versa.

Rummor has it that early on GC guests were told they could use the other hotel pools. When the PPH pool was being refurbished a few years ago those guests were allowed to use the DLH hotel pool during the refurbishment. During the recent GC main pool renovation GC guests were insructed to use the pool that was built for the DVC expansion.

Bottom line is unless the pool at your DL resort is out of commision you will not be able to get into another hotel's pool legally.

dsny1mom

^^^^^^^

"Legally"

You crack me up!

Since they changed the key cards to only accept each individual hotels' cards as entry (some time ago for security reasons- they used to open all three), all you have to do is ask a CM to let you in. You just show them your hotel key and they will happily let you in.

Or if you want to live life on the edge (LOL), you can just stand there for no more than a minute or two and enter when someone else does or when someone exits. Show them your hotel key card if it makes you feel better...

But rest assured, Disney Security will not remove you from the pool areas, nor do they care which hotel you came from.

Unless, of course, you came from one of the roach motels on Harbor!!!

^^^^^^^

"Legally"

You crack me up!

Since they changed the key cards to only accept each individual hotels' cards as entry (some time ago for security reasons- they used to open all three), all you have to do is ask a CM to let you in. You just show them your hotel key and they will happily let you in.

Or if you want to live life on the edge (LOL), you can just stand there for no more than a minute or two and enter when someone else does or when someone exits. Show them your hotel key card if it makes you feel better...

But rest assured, Disney Security will not remove you from the pool areas, nor do they care which hotel you came from.

Unless, of course, you came from one of the roach motels on Harbor!!!
    If any guest from any DLR hotel was allowed at all of the pools the key cards would open all the pool area gates. They don't. The keys were redone specifically to keep guests out of pool areas they don't belong at, and that would be any hotel they are not a registered guest at.

If a CM is letting guests from another DLR hotel into a pool area they are not a regestered guest at then they are breaking policy. The life guards have the authority to ask people to leave the pool area and have done so when they were alerted to people that don't belong in the pool area.

If anyone is slipping into a pool area of a hotel they are not registered at they are breaking the policy.

I know you feel you are right on this but you are not.

And FYI we've been DLH annual guests since 1985 and conceirge guests since the level opened in the early 90's. We are VIP status and are offered key cards to all three of pools areas and all three lounges at check in. However we never use the other hotel's pools or lounges as we don't feel it is right to take up a space, seat, chair from someone who is paying for the services at a particular hotel.

This year we'll be there for two weeks in July, a week in Sept and a week in Oct. We don't worry about what room we will get or asking for a specific room. They have been blocking out our prefered room when our ressie is made for us for 20 years now. In fact Disney has even done an article in the Line about us. So yes, I know what I am talking about and I don't come from one of the motels on Harbor.

dsny1mom

• Laughing Place Finder

Many people on these forums have many different stories about pool-hopping and whether it is allowed or not.

All I can offer is my own experience. I have been a frequent guest of the DLH and GCH over the last 5 years. I always ask the front desk and concierge about pool-hopping privileges to make sure I know the current policy and I've always been told that pool-hopping is allowed.

Additionally any time I have needed to enter the pool gates at either hotel and had trouble with my room key-card cast-members have always been happy to open the gate and let us in. The main Disneyland Hotel pool-gate in particular has always been very bad at reading room key-cards so cast-members there frequently have to let guests in.

Bottom line is to call the hotel you are interested in and ask about being able to use the pools at other resort hotels. Make sure you note who you talk to and it doesn't hurt to get a second or third opinion.

Cheers and I hope that helps.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mickey View Post
    Many people on these forums have many different stories about pool-hopping and whether it is allowed or not.

All I can offer is my own experience. I have been a frequent guest of the DLH and GCH over the last 5 years. I always ask the front desk and concierge about pool-hopping privileges to make sure I know the current policy and I've always been told that pool-hopping is allowed.

Additionally any time I have needed to enter the pool gates at either hotel and had trouble with my room key-card cast-members have always been happy to open the gate and let us in. The main Disneyland Hotel pool-gate in particular has always been very bad at reading room key-cards so cast-members there frequently have to let guests in.

Bottom line is to call the hotel you are interested in and ask about being able to use the pools at other resort hotels. Make sure you note who you talk to and it doesn't hurt to get a second or third opinion.

Cheers and I hope that helps.
    We have never had a key card that wouldn't open the pool gate at DLH.

I know for a FACT that a key card for DLH will only open the pool gate at DLH and not the other two hotel pool gates. This is why we are issued key cards to open the other pool gates.

So if a guests key card won't open another hotels pool gate then that guest should take the hint and go back to their own hotel's pool.

dsny1mom

Back when the GCH first opened and with the introduction of the PPH, our DLH room key opened the pool gates for any Disney pool that we wanted to use.

It wasn't until after 9-11 that they changed the cards to only operate the gates for your specific hotel for "security" reasons.

We were told back then and still are today that as a Disney hotel guest, you can enjoy any of the Disney pools that are available during your stay.

The only exception would be if the pool area is at the maximum number of guests and you are not staying at that particular hotel.

With the exception of the GCH's pool, which is small anyway, that has never been a problem for us.

Besides, we don't care much for the pool at the GCH anyway, we go there only for the novelty of it (and to get some snacks from the Whitewater). The kids usually ask to go back to the Neverland Pool within an hour or so anyway.

It really is a simple concept to grasp...

The only exception would be if the pool area is at the maximum number of guests and you are not staying at that particular hotel.

I had to call DLH tonight regarding our arrival time for our July trip and I asked the concierge I spoke with about pool hopping. They said it is not allowed. They said the only pool area a guest is allowed to enter is the one at the hotel they are a registered guest at, and that key cards won't open a pool gate for another hotel to keep those that don't belong out.

Can't get any simpler than that.

dsny1mom

Well, I called too.

Guess what? They said it was allowed! I'd post the CM's name, but I don't want to break MC's rules (just like I don't break Disney's rules when I "pool hop"). And besides, it really doesn't matter....

I guess the best approach to the situation is to let folks do what they feel is best for them when they are there.

I know that we will still be enjoying all three pools during our upcoming stays at the Resort.

If you don't want to, great...don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast