Paying or Praying for an upgrade?

I'm wondering if people think it is best to either:

a) reserve an upgraded room at DLH ("pool/park view" for $138 extra total or "upper pool/park view" for $243 extra)

OR

b) just reserve a standard view room and pray that I get upgraded?

Some context: I have never stayed there before, so they don't know me from Adam. My trip is from June 12-17. Concierge is not currently available, but even when it was, it was massively (!) more expensive than the room upgrade option.

I really don't want a parking lot view/crappy room, so any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Paying or Praying for an upgrade?

This past Christmas we had our first family vacation to Disneyland and we stayed at the Paradise Pier. I booked a standard room and had never even heard of an upgrade I was pleasantly surprised when I checked in and the room that I was assigned to was not ready so the kind CM said..well how many days are you here for" My reply was 2 nights and he said well then we will have to give you a premium view instead". I was so surprised...I did not even know they did thatThe view was absolutely gorgeous!!!! If money is no problem I would probably pay but if it is an issue then just pray and make sure when you check in ask for an upgrade. I have heard that if you ask and it is available they will honor your request and give you an upgrade. It never hurts to ask right?
    Vacation...Counting Down the Days...Disneyland Here I Come

Well, if you aren't going to pay for it don't be mad when you don't get it.
    I have spent 80 days of my life at Disneyland.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

If you really want the view, pay for it. For your first visit, splurge!!
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

Quote Originally Posted by KaperKate View Post
    I'm wondering if people think it is best to either:

a) reserve an upgraded room at DLH ("pool/park view" for $138 extra total or "upper pool/park view" for $243 extra)

OR

b) just reserve a standard view room and pray that I get upgraded?

Some context: I have never stayed there before, so they don't know me from Adam. My trip is from June 12-17. Concierge is not currently available, but even when it was, it was massively (!) more expensive than the room upgrade option.

I really don't want a parking lot view/crappy room, so any advice would be appreciated.
    It totally depends on how booked the hotel is. Also PPH tends to do more comp upgrades than DLH does.

Also the earlier you check in the better chance you have for an upgrade be it paid for or comped.

If a view room is important to you then pay for it rather than chance it.

dsny1mom

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Never just book a standard and assume that you'll get an upgrade. If it's important to you, just book it as such.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

Thanks for the comments. I think I will book the resort/pool view to ensure I won't get stuck overlooking the air conditioner, and if I get upgraded from there... well, that will be a bonus.

Interesting - concierge is available again today, but at a whopping extra $915 for the five days. That almost doubles the price. I don't think two 6 year-olds and I can get that much value from it for that price! That's way more than what I've generally heard quoted here - must be because those will almost certainly be the newly refurbished rooms.

Yeah, we got a standard room at the DLH.
    This is my little sister looking out on our lovely view of the parking lot.

If you want a good view, I'd pay the extra money.

• Laughing Place Finder

I have mixed views on this. Our first few times at the Disneyland Hotel we definitely got in on special Expedia rates that got us rooms on the 2nd or 3rd floor in the furthest tower overlooking the parking lot or waterfall. One room was right next to the elevator shafts and we could hear the counter-weights for the elevator sliding up and down right behind our headboard. This was probably around 2005 if I remember right. In 4-5 visits we always checked in by 10 AM and dropped lots of hints fishing for an upgrade and I never got any upgrade.

Fast-forward to 2007 and I eventually felt it was important enough that I paid for a park/pool view room. The room views were wonderful and we had a great time but we quickly noticed that apart from initially walking into the room and looking out the window, most of our trip we were oblivious to what was out the window.

It suddenly dawned on us that Disneyland trips are so busy and hectic and tiring that most of our time spent in the room was all about sleeping, resting, napping or getting ready to head out to the pool or the parks.

The one premium room we had that was worth every cent of the experience was the park view room on the 8th floor over-looking Disneyland, Downtown Disney and DCA back in April 2009. (Daytime view from this room can be seen in my signature line) Each night we would open the sliding balcony windows and watch the Disneyland fireworks from our balcony while listening to the fireworks channel on the TV. That was totally awesome.

Now that the windows are solid and tinted I don't know that they would be quite worth the extra cost. I know that Paradies Pier is different and it might be worth the cost. I think that it's something you should do at least once so you don't feel like you are missing anything. After that first time you might feel like you can never go back to a standard view or you might feel like the room is just a place to recharge your battteries and the view is irrelevent.

Cheers to you and your kids and have an awesome experience.
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.