• Laughing Place Finder

Thumbs up Crowne Plaza review 4-21 through 4-26

I just got back from the vacation last night and wanted to share my pleasant experience. I booked the Crowne Plaza through Hotwire as a 3.5 star hotel in the Disneyland South area for $67 per night.

I was told to expect that my debit card would be have a $100 per night incidentals authorization hold for each night of my stay up to $500. This incidentals policy seemed downright punitive to me so I wasn't happy to have to make arrangements to handle this incidentals requirement.

I'm happy to report that my debit card only had a $100 authorization hold through the whole five day trip so I didn't get the $500 ding that they told me I'd be getting. You have to love pleasant surprises. Another Micehcatter staying there at the same time reported the same experience. I didn't really ask whether Crowne Plaza had changed their incidentals policy or if it was just a mistake. Jimmy-crack-corn-and-I-don't-care. LOL

I had a great experience with this hotel all five nights that we stayed there. Clean, pleasant rooms. Comfy beds. Very full, fluffy pillows. Awesome thick bathroom towels. Friendly staff. The only thing that was less than awesome was the reception on the flat screen TV. Some of the channels had a fair amount of interference. I meant to mention it to the front desk but never got around to it.

I was happily surprised to be assigned a room in the quiet zone on the 8th floor out of 9 floors total. This room came with a fridge so I was able to go across the street to Target and stock up on sodas and breakfast milk. To get those goodies at no extra charge without even asking while coming in on a Hotwire Booking was a VERY nice surprise! I'd heard these rooms were normally an extra $10 per night.

Crowne Plaza had a very convenient Disney park shuttle which usually either had no other hotel stops or else it first stopped next door at the Homewood Suites first which is only 100 yards away from the Crowne Plaza shuttle stop.

I will agree that the walk from the Crowne Plaza shuttle drop-off to the park gates is longer than what would be ideal. It feels like it's about twice the distance as walking from the parking structure tram. At the end of the day when your feet feel like raw hamburger it feels pretty painful but objectively it's really not that bad. And it's definitely closer than walking to and from any of the places across the street on Harbor.

So my final assessment is that we had a great time. I'd have no problem at all staying there again and I'd have no problem using Hotwire or Priceline to book a 3.5 star hotel in the Disneyland South area. Thanks Crowne Plaza!!
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyworld Trips: 08, 10

Disney Resort Area hotels visited since 2008:

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

Re: Crowne Plaza review 4-21 through 4-26

Glad to hear you had such a nice time and enjoyed the Crowne Plaza. Thanks for sharing your experiecne with us!

Glad you enjoyed your stay! Too bad we didn't get to meet up.

We enjoyed the hotel for the most part as well. When we checked in the lobby was full of high school choir students and that should have set off an alarm. We were on the 6th floor and sure enough 11pm the hall was full of kids and adults socializing. I went out and nicely told them to keep it down. They did but the room beside us was full of kids who were loud all night and up at 7am. I asked to be moved and they did move us up to the 7th floor so it was much better after that!!

The bed was very comfy and the hotel was very clean. Staff was awesome. I'd gladly stay there again.

• Laughing Place Finder

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Glad you enjoyed your stay! Too bad we didn't get to meet up.

We enjoyed the hotel for the most part as well. When we checked in the lobby was full of high school choir students and that should have set off an alarm. We were on the 6th floor and sure enough 11pm the hall was full of kids and adults socializing. I went out and nicely told them to keep it down. They did but the room beside us was full of kids who were loud all night and up at 7am. I asked to be moved and they did move us up to the 7th floor so it was much better after that!!

The bed was very comfy and the hotel was very clean. Staff was awesome. I'd gladly stay there again.
    Thanks Tea. Sorry to hear about the choir kids loitering in the halls. I almost got run over by them at Disneyland for Magic Music Days but I never ran into any at the hotel or shuttle. I'm glad they were able to move you to a quieter area. I used the ice machine on the 7th floor a few times when the 8th floor one was out of ice. Too bad we didn't bump into each other.

I thought about posting on Micechat to see if anyone wanted to meet but my daughter and I had such a full schedule hunting for a new home during the afternoons that I wanted to keep our park schedule simple. I probably spent half of my time at the park riding The Matterhorn or Big Thunder. LOL I did get chosen to be the town drunk in the Laughing Stock Frontierland show though. "I'll drink to that!!!" LOL
    Disneyland Trips: 76, 77, 78, 80, 81, 83, 84, 86, 90, 98, 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09, 10, 11

Disneyland Resort: Disneyland Hotel - Grand Californian Hotel - Hilton Anaheim Convention Center - Hyatt Regency Anaheim/OC - Crowne Plaza Anaheim/Garden Grove - Holiday Inn Anaheim on Manchester - Holiday Inn & Suites Anaheim on Walnut - Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim - Marriott Fairfield Inn Anaheim

DisneyWorld: Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary Resort - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village - Port Orleans French Quarter

If you have any questions about Disney vacation logistics, travel planning or hotel experiences feel free to ask me.

• Ready for takeoff

I have stayed there numerous times through Priceline and have always enjoyed it. In fact, we were disappointed that we got the Doubletree this time for our trip in June.

We have received the Executive Level upgrade a couple of times as well and loved having the fridge in the room.

I hope to stay there again sometime!

Great! I just snagged it this weekend for $51/night via priceline. Good to hear it's a good hotel. I was hoping to get the Doubletree again, but this sounds quite simular.

Well, it's an "okay" hotel. Parking is shared with two other hotels, and the spaces are smaller than my car.... so most SUV's took two. The A/C was stuck at 65, and programmed every few hours to reset, Froze to death before I figured that out (there was no manual mode). The tub stopper was broken (goof thing I had my tools and just fixed it). Toilet wouldn't stop (was able to fix it). Lamp Shade was in about 3 shades of water spot damage. Place was clean... just "little stuff" that rubbed me the wrong way.... for $51, (Plus $12 "Resort" Fee) it wasn't bad, but I wouldn't pay rack rate for it.

• Laughing Place Finder

Yeah I would agree that compared to the other 3 1/2 * hotels in that area like the Hilton, the Marriott and the Hyatt Regency it's not at the top of the list. My experience was perfectly fine for a Hotwire/Priceline priced room but I agree I don't think I would ever pay full rack rate for it.

• Loving life!

Darth Mickey - Where does the shuttle drop off? I recall that it dropped off in the normal shuttle area. Is this incorrect?

Also, I just called about our upcoming stay because I was worried about the $100/night deposit on our debit card. The clerk told me the hold would be about $200. I told him that I was worried about the hold beign $800 since we will be there 8 nights and he told me that they don't do that anymore. There was no explanation about how he came up with $200. Will see what happens when we check in.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by JosieGirl71 View Post
    Darth Mickey - Where does the shuttle drop off? I recall that it dropped off in the normal shuttle area. Is this incorrect?

Also, I just called about our upcoming stay because I was worried about the $100/night deposit on our debit card. The clerk told me the hold would be about $200. I told him that I was worried about the hold beign $800 since we will be there 8 nights and he told me that they don't do that anymore. There was no explanation about how he came up with $200. Will see what happens when we check in.

I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza a number of times through Priceline, probably 3 times last year. I had the hold put on EVEN a credit card and it was $100. I argued with them that no where does it say in Priceline that a hold is put on your card for "security deposit". The room is already pre-paid and your getting a credit card # for incidentals. I've never stayed anywhere that put a security hold on you're credit card. They said recently within the last year they've had problems with people smoking in rooms and ruining the furniture. I told them I'm a non-smoker, and I don't go around damaging property. So they dropped it down to a $100. So that's my experience with them. Although I enjoy the hotel and its a nice place to stay, this is the only part I don't like and the fact that parking can be an issue if they are having a wedding party there, to which majority of the time they are.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Disneylandfan View Post
    I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza a number of times through Priceline, probably 3 times last year. I had the hold put on EVEN a credit card and it was $100. I argued with them that no where does it say in Priceline that a hold is put on your card for "security deposit". The room is already pre-paid and your getting a credit card # for incidentals. I've never stayed anywhere that put a security hold on you're credit card. They said recently within the last year they've had problems with people smoking in rooms and ruining the furniture. I told them I'm a non-smoker, and I don't go around damaging property. So they dropped it down to a $100. So that's my experience with them. Although I enjoy the hotel and its a nice place to stay, this is the only part I don't like and the fact that parking can be an issue if they are having a wedding party there, to which majority of the time they are.

I've been working in hotels most of my life now, and I have yet to work at one that did not authorize for incidentals, prepaid room rate simply means the room is pre-paid, the hotel still needs to authorize funds on the card to ensure you can pay for any incidentals.

Stay at my hotel and we authorize the card for $75, doesn't matter if the rate is pre-paid. We release the funds at check out if there are no additional charges.

Its pretty much the norm to authorize something.

• Loving life!

Quote Originally Posted by JosieGirl71 View Post
    Still hoping someone can answer this question.

• will-o-the-whip

It drops off just after the gate at Harbor across the street from Capt. Kidd's. It's further than the other tour buses, which get a few dozen feet closer.