Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone stayed at Desert Inn across from Disneyland?

We have booked a suite at Desert Inn for $89 a night. We like that it is right across the street from the entrance. So many of the hotels say "across from Disneyland" which is true, but it is still quite a walk to get there. We have two families going with little kids (10, 8, 5, 4, 2, and 1), and one of the grown ups has a muscle disorder that makes walking difficult. So staying CLOSE is key.

I have read all the reviews I can find on the hotel. We know the continental breakfast is not great, we can work around that. What the other family is worried about is the beds being uncomfortable. There was one review (out of a LOT) that made this comment.

Now we are looking at other options, but we don't want to go to far outside of the price range we received.

Any advice on this hotel, or where to stay that fits our criteria (close walk/shuttle and not too expensive?)

Thanks!

• Disney Night Owl

Re: Anyone stayed at Desert Inn across from Disneyland?

Out of all the hotels I have been to in the area, I have stayed in the Desert Inn and Suites most. It's mega convenient and the price is right. If I can't stay on property in a nice Disneyland Hotel, this is my number one choice.

I have only had horror stories with Howard Johnson (it's a far walk and our hotel room leaked heavily in one area from the roof...however, this was before/during their big construction) and Castle Inn and Suites.

I honestly don't remember Desert Inn and Suites having uncomfortable beds, but it can often get slightly noisy. I guess what I'm saying is they have fairly thin walls but this is a minor flaw to me because I always slept well.

It's also a mega plus to have Denny's and IHOP so close. Having these close-by in addition to just crossing the street to get to Disneyland was always great. I have always recommended this hotel to anyone trying to save and be close.
    http://www.facebook.com/silverpsycho
    Always looking for new Disney friends.

• Blow me to Bermuda!

Desert Inn is our first choice when we can't get the EC rate at HOJO. We've never had a problem with the beds being uncomfortable. Of course, by the time we're in bed we are usually pretty exhausted so I'm not sure we'd even notice. lol I sleep on a pillowtop at home and still haven't had issues with the DI&S beds.

Enjoying the warmth and sunshine of Phoenix between Disney trips.

We have stayed at the Desert Inn once for one of our quick weekend trips to Disneyland. It was great!

Now, it's not a Four Seasons, but you don't pay that much either. It might get a little cramped if you are planning on staying there a full week. We are used to using our timeshares (usually staying in 2 bed room villas) when we go anywhere for a week, but for a quick weekend trip, we want to be close to the entrance for the convenience of walking.

I don't remember any problems with the beds and while the room wasn't elegant, it wasn't terrible either. If I remember correctly, there was a front "living room" with a pullout couch, and then the back room with 2 queen beds and the bathroom.

Bryan

Thanks everyone! I have been making myself sick stressing about this, and exhausted researching/reviewing other area hotels. I am going to relax now and plan the rest of our trip!

We LOVE the Desert Inn & Suites. It is our first choice for a hotel near Disneyland. We have stayed there twice and had a great experience both times.

The pros for Desert Inn: Free internet! Free breakfast! Free parking! Sooo close to Disneyland! Great price!

The beds are perfect for me because I like a very firm mattress. Bed preference is very personal so one person might love the beds and another might hate them. We have two more trips planned this year and for both we are going to be staying at the Desert Inn & Suites.

We just got back from a trip where we stayed at a different hotel (Anaheim Plaza) because it was cheaper and we were very disappointed. We won't be chancing another trip in a different hotel from now on because we know we love the Desert Inn & Suites.
    Me (Monique, 44) , DH (44) , DS (11) , DD (7)
    My trips:
    DLR - every year when I was a kid, took a 21 year break and finally returned 9/09.
    DLR - 9/09, 1/10, 4/10, 9/10, & one last annual pass trip 1/11.
    WDW - 9/06

• world class bilge rat

I've stayed at the Desert Inn a number of times.

It's usually me, my daughter (16), and 3 of her friends. We get the parlor suite with spa. It's on the 5th floor. It has two rooms, one with two queen beds (obviously, this is the girls room), and another with a hide-a-bed.

I've never slept on the queen beds, but the hide-a-bed is comfortable. I'm a very light sleeper, but I don't wake up in the middle of the night any more than I do at home.

The spa is one of those oversize bathtubs with a Jacuzzi built in. It sure feels good on my feet after a long day at DL!

It takes us about 6 or 7 minutes to walk from the room to the security checkpoint, and another 2 or 3 minutes to get to the turnstiles.

There are a number of restaurants within walking distance, right on Harbor Blvd.

It also has a deck on the roof, perfect for viewing the fireworks.

Rob

its not good neighbor though right? so no "magic mornings"?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by belleariel412 View Post
    I think it is.. when we stayed there it had the brochure (sp) that said it was...

personally I liked the place. yes the breakfast wasnt anything to rave about but there is an IHOP and a Captian Kidd's right next door. Also the cross walk to DLR. Decent pool, nice jacuzzi. I also slept extremely well.

Id say do it.

Quote Originally Posted by belleariel412 View Post
    What does this mean? Does it mean we can go to "magic mornings" by showing our room key? We have 1 MM with our 5 day hopper, but would love to be able to go more than once.

Thanks

• world class bilge rat

When I stay at the Desert Inn, I buy 3 day park-hopper tickets at the Desert Inn lobby. They usually have a magic morning. It's obvious which morning it is, and you can get in to DL an hour earlier than the regular opening time.

Make sure you go early on the right morning though, I see a few people being turned back each time.

The tickets are a bit less expensive if you get them at the front desk, plus you go straight to the turnstiles, and by-pass the ticket booths at DL.

Rob

P.S. The magic morning is encoded on the ticket, you don't need a room key.
    Last edited by micromind; 05-09-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Added P.S.

• Blow me to Bermuda!

Quote Originally Posted by dasia View Post
    What does this mean? Does it mean we can go to "magic mornings" by showing our room key? We have 1 MM with our 5 day hopper, but would love to be able to go more than once.

Thanks
    As far as I know, the only way to do more than one MM day is to stay at one of the Disney hotels. Being a Good Neighbor hotel (which last I looked, they do not come up on the list) means they've met certain Disney criteria.

Any 3 day or more park hopper gets you one MM day.

Enjoying the warmth and sunshine of Phoenix between Disney trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Liz View Post
    Out of all the hotels I have been to in the area, I have stayed in the Desert Inn and Suites most. It's mega convenient and the price is right. If I can't stay on property in a nice Disneyland Hotel, this is my number one choice.

I have only had horror stories with Howard Johnson (it's a far walk and our hotel room leaked heavily in one area from the roof...however, this was before/during their big construction) and Castle Inn and Suites.

I honestly don't remember Desert Inn and Suites having uncomfortable beds, but it can often get slightly noisy. I guess what I'm saying is they have fairly thin walls but this is a minor flaw to me because I always slept well.

It's also a mega plus to have Denny's and IHOP so close. Having these close-by in addition to just crossing the street to get to Disneyland was always great. I have always recommended this hotel to anyone trying to save and be close.

How did u get it so cheap ?!?!?! Im pondering this hotel now for my late june trip
    Love meeting new fellow Disney fanatics! Facebook Me: Michael Van Anthony Jr

• Minion

We are looking at booking September 7-10 and right now on Expedia it is $197 for all 3 nights! The reviews on here so far are giving us more reason to stay there. We usually do the Portofino Inn & Suites (which we love) but we're looking for something a little closer this time. Thanks for all the reviews people!

• DisneyMommy

We just stayed there (got back today). The hotel was very noisy, and had absolutely no parking. Calling the parking a nightmare is an understatement. Even
    though we were entitled to park 2 cars (because we had 2 rooms) we could
    not even park 1, and actually had to park in a red zone for hours until
    we were able to snag a spot. The staff was not very helpful, the floors turned our feet black, and the maids woke my sleeping children up 2 different times despite a Privacy Please hanger on the door.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast