Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disney Hotels

• Seeker of Fun

Disney Hotels

As someone who has never stayed at a Disney hotel..(ok I have when I was 7), is it really worth the extra money? After all, your pretty much there just to sleep. We've stayed at some really bad places on Harbor or around there. The long distance away from the park and the overall feeling has led to some tougher trips. With the hotels so close, and being Disney, does it really add to a trip? Can anyone give me some advice?
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

Re: Disney Hotels

Last September my husband and i stayed at the Anaheim Sheraton for our anniversary the rooms were great but I really did not like the taking the shuttle back and forth...it is such a hassle if you plan to go to your room during the day for a break. This past December we took our family and decided to stay at the Paradise Pier hotel and we loved it. It is so worth the extra money in my opinion. Very convenient and the hotel was great! This September we will be at the Grand Californian and then Paradise Pier again in December. It would be very hard...in fact probably impossible for me to ever want to stay off property again. I would try it at least once and see for yourself if you like it
    Vacation...Counting Down the Days...Disneyland Here I Come

• Seeker of Fun

Thanks for the input!!

Our one and only trip to Disney World 7 years ago we stayed on site and loved it. Our first trip to Disneyland was in March and we did not stay on site. Still had fun but .... We just got back from a Disneyland Hotel stay (May) and LOVED it. We plan to always stay on site from now on if we can swing it.

• no flash photography...

I have stayed at all three disney hotels ...most of the hotels on harbor as well as some further away. Other than the GCH I really don't have a preference. The walk to the PPH is almost the same as the walk to HOJO's.

The hotels a bit further away are much nicer than the pph and dlh. If you use priceline a fraction of the price. I really don't mind the short drive over to the park.

• Seeker of Fun

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!

•   
    • Insert Hilarious Title

We have only stayed at the Disneyland hotel (but are making plans for the other two). In my opinion, it was worth the cost for the convenience (most of them, admittedly were minor).

The main perk was proximity. Being able to walk a short distance and riding the monorail into the park was wonderful. Although I recommend passing through the main gate the first day for the thrill/memory of it. And being able, in a short time, to go to your room to change clothes (due to chill/heat/water-ride) or just grab something is a plus.

A great feature that isn't as widely known (at least, I never knew about it until we first stayed there) is if you make any purchases at the parks, you can have them charged to your hotel bill. In addition, you can have your purchases delivered to the hotel for pick up (or Disney will ship them to your home). Not having to carry around the things you buy is nice.

Early entry with Magical Hours is nice.

Some of the minor perks were family themed events. Our favorite was a Pirates of the Caribbean trivia challenge (they give you a list of questions about the ride, you fill in the answers and return it to the hotel).

There are characters that make the rounds. I can't even properly described the awesomeness of watching Goofy summon taxis for departing guests.

Hope this gives you a better idea.

• radiantly eccentric

If you dont like to shuttle, then stay on site.
    That one reason is why it is worth the cost to me.
    I agree with the other posters here....some more reasons;
    Disney resorts have best the best Magical customer service
    I found that I used my room more than just to sleep.
    I love the DLH however, I just stayed @ GCH for the first time and I loved it! The DCA entrance was a joy. Worth the extra cost for special occasions.
    I was less worn out at the end of my trip. It really felt like a vacation and not like bootcamp.
    without Love in a dream, it will never come true...

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

We've always stayed at the Paradise Pier, the walk for us wasn't too bad, one particular night we were pretty tired and we happened on to a gentleman driving a gem cart for the PP and he gave us a ride back from DTD. Our most recent trip we ended up going for the Disneyland Hotel. I really liked it, especially since we stayed for so many days, the pool really made it worth while. We stayed in the main tower, sorry I don't know the names, and it was nice when we'd come off the monorail and practically be right there! The first night we were in the far tower, near the waterfall/koi pond area. The walk to and from there was pretty much as long as the walk from the PP, so I would recommend asking for the main tower or the newly remodeled tower. The rooms in the PP and the Disneyland hotel are about the same size and layout. The biggest difference was at PP the couch converted into a futon style bed and at Disneyland hotel the couch was a day bed, you just removed the back pillows. The PP couch was much more comfortable then the day bed style couch at DLH, however, I do not know anything about the new rooms. We really like eating at Goofy's kitchen so having it right there was a plus, and if you are a shopper the DLH has a much larger gift shop. Overall, on our next trip I totally intend to stay at the DLH, I think in the future when my daughter is a teenager or perhaps if the Mr and I take a grown up trip we will try the Grand Californian, but until then, my first choice is DLH and second would be PP. If I couldn't stay at a Disney Hotel I personally wouldn't even go! I like all the amenities of staying on property.
    Yaye!

Our theory was that if we stayed at the hojo, which we love, for $59 entertainment rate, we can go to DL twice as often (basically every 6 months or less, instead of once a year).

However, my husband and I were already planning a trip in early November when I went with my mom last month......and, this is the coolest part, while I was in California with my mom we took a side trip to see a taping of the Price is Right, and THEY CALLED MY NAME

Long story short, I won a car, which they couldn't deliver to Canada, so they offered me cash instead......and because of that it now it looks like our trip in November might be to a resort hotel 10 nights!!!!

After I won the car in May, I was taking a wonder through the hotels and I actually think we will end up at the PP, it was the one I actually seemed to like the best

I am pretty excited about it, it isn't something we would normally spend the money on

Quote Originally Posted by Timicus View Post

Early entry with Magical Hours is nice.

Some of the minor perks were family themed events. Our favorite was a Pirates of the Caribbean trivia challenge (they give you a list of questions about the ride, you fill in the answers and return it to the hotel).

I had no idea about the themed stuff, I think that is really cool. We would love that, we have a blast with hidden mickeys and stuff, so this would be great.

• Banned User

We also love staying on site. Yes, it's way more expensive and some people might not think it's worth it especially if they are not Disney nuts like us but that being said, I love it.
    We have only stayed at the DLH vs. the other two properties and we are going again right after 4th of July. We usually are really cheap and stay at Motel 6 but we splurge every once in a while for that extra Disney touch. My kids especially love the pool. I like the Disney theming, early entry and monorail being so close. On our last trip upon checking in they actually upgraded our room to a great pool view on a really high floor which was a huge plus.

• Seeker of Fun

Wow, I really appreciate all the comments. I feel like I'm analyzing all of them to maximize our next trip. One of the main issues is ease, comfort, proximity, and feeling a little more relaxed. Ok, that's many issues! Every once in a while I'll check the room rates, and still feel so shocked. I checked on 4 nights at the Disneyland Hotel, and it was $1260....without tax, etc.. and that was a price for September!

Keep the comments coming though, it's really helping me decide!

• Seeker of Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine30 View Post
    Our theory was that if we stayed at the hojo, which we love, for $59 entertainment rate, we can go to DL twice as often (basically every 6 months or less, instead of once a year).

However, my husband and I were already planning a trip in early November when I went with my mom last month......and, this is the coolest part, while I was in California with my mom we took a side trip to see a taping of the Price is Right, and THEY CALLED MY NAME

Long story short, I won a car, which they couldn't deliver to Canada, so they offered me cash instead......and because of that it now it looks like our trip in November might be to a resort hotel 10 nights!!!!

After I won the car in May, I was taking a wonder through the hotels and I actually think we will end up at the PP, it was the one I actually seemed to like the best

I am pretty excited about it, it isn't something we would normally spend the money on
    Simply put.....WOW!! Thanks for sharing, hope you have a fantastic trip!!

You are definately going to pay a premium price for staying at one of the resort hotels, but it is worth it. We have been going every two years or so and my grandmother decided she wanted to start staying at the DLH...great decision. We have been in the Dreams tower two of three trips and it is the best tower to be in...close and with a DL view, it makes it even better! Proximity to the Monorail is a huge plus, especially when you are tired...all in all, great hotel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast