Between the Candy Cane Inn, or the Marriott

Hey Everyone! My family and I are going to be visiting DL at the end of July for about 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone would have a suggestion as to which hotel might suite my family better. I was looking at the Marriott Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, or the Candy Cane Inn. I do have 2 children, 1 boy 1 girl and they are both under 6, So I'm guessing Candy Cann Inn will be their choice, but does anyone have any experience at either of these hotels? I'm going to be bringing the childrens sleeping bags so space is not a huge deal, but I just want to make sure they will have the best experience. If anyone could lend a hand that would be a great help! Thankyou!
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 06-04-2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Removed link per board policy

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Between the Candy Cane Inn, or the Marriott

I haven't stayed at the Marriott but I've stayed at the Candy Cane twice. Its a very nice place, the breakfast is standard stuff.. toast, muffins, fruit... The shuttle is a nice touch, even thought its a short walk to the park. But at night with tired kids, the shuttle is wonderful! The rooms there are pretty small compared to some of the other places I have stayed in. So I'm not sure where you would put the sleeping bags... not a lot of room on the floor between the beds and the walls/furniture. But the free continental breakfast and the proximity to the park is nice. And if you need to pick up little snacks and stuff there is a 7-11 almost right next door if I remember right.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

Marriott's rooms are nicely sized. Have you considered staying at HoJo's? Their pool area would be perfect for your kids.
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I second the Hojo, short walk, great kids pool area, friendly staff and best of all Micechat discount (see our sponsor page for details).

• Hardcore Disneylander

The Candy Cane Inn has always been my favorite hotel. It's so close that you can just walk to the park (or run ) and there's a shuttle for the trip back, when your feet hurt. My family always went there when I was little and I loved it, so your kids probably will too. And the breakfast is really nice.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by RBixton86 View Post
    Hey Everyone! My family and I are going to be visiting DL at the end of July for about 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone would have a suggestion as to which hotel might suite my family better. I was looking at the Marriott Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, or the Candy Cane Inn. I do have 2 children, 1 boy 1 girl and they are both under 6, So I'm guessing Candy Cann Inn will be their choice, but does anyone have any experience at either of these hotels? I'm going to be bringing the childrens sleeping bags so space is not a huge deal, but I just want to make sure they will have the best experience. If anyone could lend a hand that would be a great help! Thankyou!

Two weeks in a sleeping bag on the floor is tough even for under 6 year olds!

We like the Candy Cane, but you will get tired of muffins and O.J. every morning for breakfast. Plus as already mentioned, small rooms.

The Residence Inn has large rooms and a full, fresh, hot breakfast every morning. Snacks in the (select nights) evening as well! They offer various rate discounts as well.

If it was for a w/e (couple of nights) I'd say the CC. But for two weeks (or longer than a few days), my vote goes to the Residence Inn.

Due to our personal experience with HOJO's, I won't recommend them to anyone. At any price. But since they are a sponsor here, they tend to get good reviews.

Enjoy!

• For You!

I have stayed at both - and am traditionally a Marriott girl. I love the Candy Cane. But, for 2 weeks, I would go with the residence. It's more like an apartment. Both hotels have great continental breakfasts - but Marriott offers a Happy hour dinner on weekdays which is kind of nice.

Candy Cane is close with a shuttle - and the residence used to have it's own shuttle, not sure if they still do.

Anyway, my one story about the residence, is we took my boys when they were 2 and 8 months - I ran out of milk. I called the front desk and they brought me a gallon of milk (for free) at 2 a.m. They were just awesome. Plus, I loved having a kitchen with a full fridge and microwave. We ordered pizza from Marri's and were able to refridgerate leftovers and have cereal and mac and cheese, etc.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Candy Cane rooms are small and with each passing day will get smaller and smaller with two kids. The customer service there is great though. They do offer their own free shuttle.

I prefer the Residence Inn. The one on Clementine has a kids' play area and kids' pool too. They have a 1 bedroom suite which wil cost you more than Candy Cane, but you get a more extensive breakfast than CC and they may have a free Tues, Wed, Thurs light dinner. The RI on Harbor does (which saves us a family of 4 $50 for dinner). On Tuesday nights, Harbor Blvd serves bbq'ed hot dogs and hamburgers with face painting and balloon animals for the kids. Thursday nights, in addition to free dinner is free ice cream night. The Harbor Blvd. RI is cheaper than Clementine too. Harbor Blvd also has a kids' playroom with free Disney movies and popcorn on Friday nights. Their pool is small, but fine for little kids. RI will do grocery shopping for you too. The 1 bedrooms come with full kitchens and you may find this helpful after days and days of Disneyland and/or takeout food. Parking is free, but you will have to either take the ART or drive to the park. RI Harbor Blvd. and Homewood are my hotels of choice.

• Circle of Ancients

Never stayed at Candy Cane but the Marriott is quite nice. We stayed there last year.

You can ask for a "patio" room by the pool and it's quite nice to sit on the patio, have your coffee or tea while the kids take a swim.

But I agree, for 2 weeks, better to go with a Residence type place.