Cool First Time to Disney - from Australia!

Hiya! We are visiting Disneyland for the very first time in September and will be in LA for 2 weeks all up. We are a married couple 42 and 48 with a 13 year old teen girl. I really want to give her the best Disney experience (and us too!!). I have booked Paradise Pier Hotel but have noticed that Disneyland Hotel has a sale on and my travel agent is looking into it for me. Maybe this is because they have renovations?? This is a trip of a lifetime for us folks from Perth Western Australia - any suggestions? Which hotel? Have you stayed at DLH recently? My teen is a young teen and not a brave one either (with the big rides). So fingers crossed she'll be brave enough to try most of them.
    :-)
    Last edited by DisneyFirstTimers; 07-11-2010 at 07:03 AM.

• I'm not really here

Re: First Time to Disney - from Australia!

First of all, welcome to MiceChat
    Secondly... congrats on coming to Disneyland!
    I don't have much experience with the Disney hotels, so someone else will have to take on that answer.

As to your daughter... there are several things that can help her face some of the bigger rides. YouTube has thousands of videos taken on the actual rides. Watching them with her will give her an idea of exactly what the ride is all about. Disney does an amazing job of hiding most of the ride from your view so there is always that mystery and anxiety about what is really going on inside. YouTube can dispel those worries. Also, YouTube really can't compare to riding so don't worry to much about it ruining the experience either. Another thing to do is let her explore and pick rides at her own pace. Let her go on things and work her way up. Possibly the best "big" ride to start her on is Splash Mountain. There are 5 drops, but only 3 of them are of any significance. And total time spent dropping is maybe 6 or 7 seconds. The rest of the 8+ minute ride is floating through amazing set pieces with wonderful music. Encourage her to see the queue which is well themed. Often times, having spent the time in the queue, people will brave the ride to validate the wait. And if not, Disney doesn't force you on, you simply step through the vehicle to the other side of the dock and exit.

I used to be frightened of the big rides myself and my parents always asked if I wanted to give it a try, but they never forced me to. They encouraged me to, explained what the ride did. If others wanted to ride, they encouraged me to wait in line with everyone and often times, just waiting through the queue would interest me enough to give it a try.

I hope your trip is an amazing one! You must come back and post a report and let us all know how it goes. Good luck!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Hooterville, USA

Welcome to MC. You'll have a blast at DL. Search through the threads and you'll read about the best places to stay and the best way to do DL.

Good luck.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFirstTimers View Post
    Hiya!
    Hi, welcome to Mice Chat!

We are visiting Disneyland for the very first time in September and will be in LA for 2 weeks all up. We are a married couple 42 and 48 with a 13 year old teen girl. I really want to give her the best Disney experience (and us too!!). I have booked Paradise Pier Hotel but have noticed that Disneyland Hotel has a sale on and my travel agent is looking into it for me.
    The Paradise is a fine hotel.....the DLH is undergoing a major renovation, and although Disney is really good about minimizing the effect of a renovation I feel it would not be worth the risk(especially since the time you are coming is considered a slow time, they may try to do a lot during the week(s) you are there)...and......you don't want to feel like you should have postponed your trip because of all the new just coming around the corner.

I know that when I am staying at a hotel that is conducting a major refurb, I feel like I am being put out(even if it is just a little) so others who come at a later date will have an even better time than me......fwiw

Maybe this is because they have renovations?? This is a trip of a lifetime for us folks from Perth Western Australia - any suggestions? Which hotel? Have you stayed at DLH recently? My teen is a young teen and not a brave one either (with the big rides). So fingers crossed she'll be brave enough to try most of them.
    :-)
    For a trip of a lifetime, I'd bust the budget and go with the Grand Californian.....but if that just isn't in the cards, the Paradise is really not a bad choice.....especially if you can get a room with a view
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Refugee from a island

As with everyone else, Welcome to MiceChat! I'd also like to add that I had the opportunity to visit your fine city when I was in the U.S. Navy in the 70's. We spent a week there and I throughly enjoy myself. I hope to one day be able to return.

Also congrats on your first trip to Disneyland! Remember to stop by City Hall and get your 1st visit button.

We have stay at all the on-resort hotels, and I agree with sleepyjeff. If it is in you budget The Grand Californian is the nicest of them. I also agree that the Disneyland Hotel would be a little iffy right now, as it is going through a major refurbishment that I believe is suppose to last well into 2011. The Paradise Pier Hotel is also quite nice, but it is a bit farther of a walk to the parks. That can make a difference, particularly after a long day in the parks.

As far as your daugther go, I think you will find plenty of rides that she will enjoy.

As far as things to do:

I'd say a character meal is must. We prefer the breakfast, and especially like ones at Storytellers at The Grand Californian, and Breakfast with Minnie and Friends at the Plaza Inn in the Disneyland Park. Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Hotel is also good.

This dependent on your budget, but, I'd consider priority seating for Fantasmic! They also have some packages available of the new World of Color show.

No matter what you finally decide to do, have a wonderful time. If you are going to be there at the end of September, maybe we'll run into each other. We'll be there of D23 event from Sept 23 thru 26. I'll be sure to watch for 1st time visit button, and listen for that wonderful Aussie accent.

Thanks everyone for the info and for the tip about the online videos and 1st timer button - will be sure to pop into City Hall for that one! We have decided to stay with the Paradise Pier Hotel and have been upgraded to a park view room because of the special they are running at the moment. So we are happy with that. :-)
    Last edited by DisneyFirstTimers; 08-14-2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: error