Which hotel should we stay at?

Although I am an AVID Disneyland goer...I haven't stayed at a Disney resort since I was VERY young. I am interested in taking my mom in September after labor day for her birthday and I (obviously) want to get the most for my money! She has expressed interest in the Grand Californian...but I know it can be expensive. Is the price worth it? Also, would it be worth it to get a concierge room, or would a normal room do the job? This would be a fairly short trip, and I want to do it right, because I CERTAINLY can't afford to do this often (even though I have an AP and get the special rates)...ANY advice would be awesome, even if it is about another resort! Thanks so much =]
    November 7, 2008 - My Disneyland dream came true! And is was "SUITE"!

Re: Which hotel should we stay at?

It all depends on the prices for that time. If there was a special deal say, 5 nights for the price of 3 (which is the deal my mom got for Mar.) then go for it! However, if it's above 250 and you're strap for cash, don't go. It's a beautiful hotel, great ambiance and you'll feel like your in the parks from the second you enter the lobby. I seriously sat in the lobby for 40 min just to get a feel of things one morning. But all in all, we didn't stay long in our rooms and didn't use all the stuff provided for the 20 dollar resort charge. The room I got was pretty standard, and has the Disney charm, but more rustic style. The only mention of a Disney character was in the form of a Snow White picture. Also, I noticed that if you don't have any young kids with you, they place you further from the elevators and it's a pretty far walk to those rooms that are at the end of the hall. If you don't mind being a little further away from the hotel, and closer to grocery stores, then you should stay somewhere like the Howard Johnson which is close to the Mimi's and Coco's or somewhere further like the Hyatt Regency Orange County that is 1 mile away from Disneyland but has free shuttles and across the street from a Target. Again, it all depends on what you're looking for. But for a few days, the Grand Californian will satisfy all your needs if you're just planning on staying in Disney. Hope this helps and have fun!

Thanks for your advice! The thing is, if we go, we'd go primarily for the resort i think...we go to Disneyland ALL the time, so of course we will drop by, but I do think we will be taking advantage of the hotel itself. The best price I found was $264...not terrible for my budget.

• Artistic integrity

I would also recommend HoJos ... as it's been a HUGE favorite among posters at LP .. and surely MC.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

We have stayed at all 3 hotels on the resort. Yes, the Grand Californian is beautiful, but I was more comfortable at either the Disneyland Hotel or the Paradise Pier.

We usually stay at the Pier, but for the history of the Park, I'd choose to stay at the Disneyland Hotel. I haven't seen the remodeled rooms, so I can't comment on them. It is the closest to the Monorail station, which is very handy to get into Disneyland. The Grand is closest to getting into DCA.

There is a memoriabilia wall at the Disneyland Hotel, back behind the larger gift shop that is worth taking a few minutes to browse!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    We have stayed at all 3 hotels on the resort. Yes, the Grand Californian is beautiful, but I was more comfortable at either the Disneyland Hotel or the Paradise Pier.

We usually stay at the Pier, but for the history of the Park, I'd choose to stay at the Disneyland Hotel. I haven't seen the remodeled rooms, so I can't comment on them. It is the closest to the Monorail station, which is very handy to get into Disneyland. The Grand is closest to getting into DCA.

There is a memoriabilia wall at the Disneyland Hotel, back behind the larger gift shop that is worth taking a few minutes to browse!
    Thanks for your insight! I think we've decided to go with PPH and do concierge there...seems like it would be worth the extra money (according to my online research). Its nice that the other two hotels have easy access to the parks, but Mom and I are in good shape...we don't mind a little extra walking =P I've decided not to stay at DLH until after the remodel...I want to see it in all of its newly redone glory =P

Has anyone stayed at PPH and stayed in a concierge room before? Can anyone share their experience? =]

• Disney Philosopher

The GC is very nice, stayed there many times, but off property the Best Western Stovals is a hidden gem. Very, very nice and also affordable.

• Disneyland's the best!

We have become attached to a Park View Concierge room at Paradise Pier. Concierge lounge is absolutely wonderful, and provides breakfast and dinner, and snacks during the day.
    It's easy enough to be pleasant
    when life hums along like a song.
    But the man worth while
    is the man who can smile
    when everything goes dead wrong.