• Insanity is catching :D

Sad Grand Californian AP discount no better than Expedia?

Hello all
    I'm coming back to Disneyland in October, staying at the HOJO. However, I decided I wanted to come for a few more days (was originally staying the 17th-23rd) beforehand. They had availability for the 15th/16th, but not the 13th/14th (weird being sold out in the middle of the week).

So I decided that might be the perfect opportunity to try out the Grand Californian for a couple of nights to see if it's worth it. The first place I looked was on expedia.ca (being canadian) and I found they had listed the standard view room for $227 CAD. Then I remembered that the Grand Californian offered an AP discount (I'll be getting one when I go back... even 2 trips from Canada make it worthwhile), so I decided to give them a call. After speaking with the reservations rep though, she informed me that with a *30%* discount (which I thought was awesome when she said it) that a standard view room would be..... $228 US......... excuse me? How is it that I can get the exact same price on a random travel website as a supposed 30% discount from the hotel itself? Has anyone else had this issue? Am I doing something wrong?
    Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated! I really want to try it out but it just seems wrong that their "AP discount" is the same as expedia.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Grand Californian AP discount no better than Expedia?

---The problem is you decided to book your trip during a time that Disney is offering a sale.

---My wife manages a theater and she encounters this situation everyday.....the matinee prices are actually less than the senior discount. Some of the seniors feel they should get an additional discount but as with most places....whether it be hotels, taxi cabs, sporting events, etc....you can only take advantage of one discount.

---Problem number two is that Disney is offering these sales with greater and greater frequency......because out-of-towners are visiting Disneyland less and less due to the lack of E ticket quality new attractions coupled with the fact that the park is being overrun with locals who use the park as their own personal hangout.....

---But don't worry: Using the AP you are still getting the discount....you are still paying the price you would have paid had Disney not offered the sale. The only difference is other people who don't have an AP are getting in for that same price too........and that's their business, it should not concern you.

Unless you bought that AP for the sole purpose of a discount you lose nothing here.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Insanity is catching :D

Thumbs up Re: Grand Californian AP discount no better than Expedia?

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    ---The problem is you decided to book your trip during a time that Disney is offering a sale.

---My wife manages a theater and she encounters this situation everyday.....the matinee prices are actually less than the senior discount. Some of the seniors feel they should get an additional discount but as with most places....whether it be hotels, taxi cabs, sporting events, etc....you can only take advantage of one discount.

---Problem number two is that Disney is offering these sales with greater and greater frequency......because out-of-towners are visiting Disneyland less and less due to the lack of E ticket quality new attractions coupled with the fact that the park is being overrun with locals who use the park as their own personal hangout.....

---But don't worry: Using the AP you are still getting the discount....you are still paying the price you would have paid had Disney not offered the sale. The only difference is other people who don't have an AP are getting in for that same price too........and that's their business, it should not concern you.

Unless you bought that AP for the sole purpose of a discount you lose nothing here.
    Ahhh... I didn't realize they were having a secondary sale... I never checked their website, I only checked expedia and called them... thanks for the heads up I know what you mean, I've worked in retail... people always want sales on top of the sales

"---Problem number two is that Disney is offering these sales with greater and greater frequency......because out-of-towners are visiting Disneyland less and less due to the lack of E ticket quality new attractions coupled with the fact that the park is being overrun with locals who use the park as their own personal hangout....."

Seriously what is with all the hate for locals, I've noticed these types of statement's more then once, and I doubt the average tourist even considers this when making plans for a trip, some on here might, but again those on here are not exactly your typical tourist either.

People are still not yet willing to pay premium prices for things such as hotels, Disney hotels are no different at the end of the day people want deals at the moment, airlines, hotels and many other industries are seeing this, economy is still not doing all that grand and people are looking to save where they can.

There is a reason priceline and the like are so popular, people want to save money.
    Last edited by jsmith11618; 08-25-2010 at 05:46 PM.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post

Seriously what is with all the hate for locals, I've noticed these types of statement's more then once, and I doubt the average tourist even considers this when making plans for a trip, some on here might, but again those on here are not exactly your typical tourist either.
    No hate......just a fact based observation......you may not see it because sometimes it's hard to see the forest with all those trees

People are still not yet willing to pay premium prices for things such as hotels, Disney hotels are no different at the end of the day people want deals at the moment, airlines, hotels and many other industries are seeing this, economy is still not doing all that grand and people are looking to save where they can.
    Fair enough, I suppose that could be #3
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

The 30% off they are offering at that time if greater then the regular AP discount isn't it?
    Yaye!

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    After being bossed around a few times by pompous locals who "come here all the time" and like to "help out" the CM's, it's easy to become gun shy about visiting the park. Especially when said locals also like to boss around the CM's.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member