The family and I just decided to come down to Anaheim for a week-long visit during our daughter's mid-winter break from the Seattle school system. We tried to use our Disney Vacation Club points at the Grand Californian Hotel but they are all booked. We didn't want to use almost double the DVC points to stay at the DLH or Paradise Pier Hotel.

We opted to go on the wait-list for GCH but it's pretty unlikely that we'll get a room with that availability opening up so I looked for a fall-back hotel. After a week of watching rates and availability on Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com and Priceline I could see that the number of available rooms was going down and the price was going up.

Last night I decided to book a room to make sure we weren't left high and dry when we get to town. I first tried booking a 3.5 * Hotel in both Disneyland zones for $45 per night and had no luck. I then extended my bid to 3* Hotels in those areas for $45 per night and again had no luck.

Tonight I bumped up my bid to $47 per night. I again had no luck with the 3.5 star hotels but when I extended this bid to 3 Star hotels in the same two Disneyland zones my bid was accepted by the Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim/Garden Grove on Harbor Blvd. We have never stayed here before. This will be our 8th hotel we've stayed at in the Disneyland Resort Area including the on-property hotels.

After checking out TripAdvisor and other travel site reviews it looks like this hotel should be a good fit for us when we come to town. There is the issue of the $12 per night parking fee but almost every place we've been in that general area we've had a similar fee to deal with. I of course will take pics and share a thorough review after the trip like I did with our visits to the Holiday Inn & Suites by the parking structure and the Crowne Plaza Hotel last year.

In case anybody else is looking for a room during this busy week I'd recommend not waiting. This looks to be a busy vacation week for lots of school districts so rooms will be going fast.