Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Shifting cargo

Hotel Parking Fee Alternatives?

The Del Sol Inn that I will be staying at has a daily fee of $8 per day. Are there any alternatives to paying the $8 and parking somewhere else for free? Any help is much appreciated!

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

• Embrace the kitsch!

Re: Hotel Parking Fee Alternatives?

Well, you could always cancel your reservation and stay at the BW Anaheim Inn next door. They have no parking fees.

Side note: Anybody else think these parking fees are eliminating the incentive to stay in town?
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Shifting cargo

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    Well, you could always cancel your reservation and stay at the BW Anaheim Inn next door. They have no parking fees.

Side note: Anybody else think these parking fees are eliminating the incentive to stay in town?
    I made my reservation there back in August last year when the rates were $63 a night. I sorta have a feeling they've gone up in all the hotels. Just a hunch though Otherwise I so would!

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by RedHandedJill View Post
    I made my reservation there back in August last year when the rates were $63 a night. I sorta have a feeling they've gone up in all the hotels. Just a hunch though Otherwise I so would!
    $63? That's it?! Honestly, w/ a rate that low, you're coming out so far ahead that I wouldn't worry about the extra $8. Even $71/night is better than any comparable hotel on the strip. You made a good deal, now enjoy it!
    Charter Member

• Shifting cargo

$63? That's it?! Honestly, w/ a rate that low, you're coming out so far ahead that I wouldn't worry about the extra $8. Even $71/night is better than any comparable hotel on the strip. You made a good deal, now enjoy it!
    That's why it pays to plan way ahead of time. You get the best deals! I've already added the $20 a person into my expenses for the parking. It's not that much I guess.

• no flash photography...

I don't think there is a way to get out of paying the hotel charged fees.

• Former Cast Member

$8 is so cheap for parking it isn't even funny. The hotels that don't charge for parking build that cost into the room cost and everyone pays whether or not they have a car.

When I travel I can pay anywhere from $30-45 a day for parking in major cities. It is just a cost you have to plan on.

• Banned User

you could always ask upon check-in if they could waive the fee (Unless it's an already included fee and not just a straight parking fee). I have done that at Double Tree and she was nice enough to give me a complimentary pass. But just like Broadway said, you're actually pretty lucky you're daily rate was so cheap so it's really not such a big deal.

• Hukuna Matata!

I agree 100 percent, I usually stay away from any hotel that charges parking, I love the Hilton but will not pay 15 dollars a day, its like come on include that in your price! I think its a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by RedHandedJill View Post
    That's why it pays to plan way ahead of time. You get the best deals! I've already added the $20 a person into my expenses for the parking. It's not that much I guess.
    Hey on a trip every dollar counts, I hear yah! That 20 dollars can feed yah for the day or buy a gift for yourself, or me, I mean come on I deserve it jk. But Im with you guys

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by jeremys View Post
    $8 is so cheap for parking it isn't even funny. The hotels that don't charge for parking build that cost into the room cost and everyone pays whether or not they have a car.
    The parking fees are a recent development. I've only seen them start popping up at the smaller hotels in the last few years. Some of these hotels have been there almost as long as the park itself, so it really does seem disingenuous.

When I travel I can pay anywhere from $30-45 a day for parking in major cities. It is just a cost you have to plan on.
    Which is why I don't visit many major cities.
    As I said, these parking fees are eliminating a major incentive to stay in the resort area. Used to be you were willing to forgo the bigger, better hotels down the street for the convenience of not having to drive to DL and pay for parking once you got there. The more the hotels in Anaheim start closing that price/convenience gap w/ parking fees, the better Garden Grove hotels w/ their shuttle buses look.
    Charter Member

• Former Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joshnyah View Post
    I agree 100 percent, I usually stay away from any hotel that charges parking, I love the Hilton but will not pay 15 dollars a day, its like come on include that in your price! I think its a scam.
    It isn't a scam, they partly have to charge for parking so people looking to duck the fees at Disneyland don't use their lot and if they build in the fee to the price of the hotel room, people without cars get socked with the fee as well.

The parking fees are a recent development. I've only seen them start popping up at the smaller hotels in the last few years. Some of these hotels have been there almost as long as the park itself, so it really does seem disingenuous.

Which is why I don't visit many major cities.
    As I said, these parking fees are eliminating a major incentive to stay in the resort area. Used to be you were willing to forgo the bigger, better hotels down the street for the convenience of not having to drive to DL and pay for parking once you got there. The more the hotels in Anaheim start closing that price/convenience gap w/ parking fees, the better Garden Grove hotels w/ their shuttle buses look.
    Someone getting a hotel room that is walkable to Disneyland with parking for $71 should be happy, it is a great price. Hotels are getting squeezed by the discounting sites that keep their prices low so they need to find revenue to maintain the hotels.

Hotels used to get good revenue from the phones in their rooms, but who uses a hotel phone anymore? They used to be able to charge for Internet, even when it was slow dial-up, now most have to give that for free too.

People want good service from hotels, clean carpets, renovated rooms and more, but aren't willing to pay for it.

If the GG hotels don't charge now for parking they will one day. They have to offer extras for their inconvenience. And not every GG hotel doesn't have parking fees, I am sure the Hyatt has fees. Any hotel with a big lot that Disney visitors might be able to park for free in and then use their shuttle to get to the park, probably charges a fee.

The last time we were down, we stayed at the Anaheim Plaza Inn and I think the parking fee was $4 a day (or something like that). It wasn't that bad, I think I payed 16 dollars for parking. That covered the whole trip.

Hotel parking fees are simply a way for the hotel to bring in more revenue, with more and more booking on 3rd party sites hotels (like airlines) are pressured into pricing their product at times below what they can make money on, so hotels like airlines have brought in more fees to increase revenue since many times the rooms are being sold below cost, at cost, or very small profit, parking fees help bring in revenue and it would be silly not to charge for parking in an area where free parking is hard to come by.

Too many think the 70/night they paid on expedia or priceline is going to the hotel, of that 70, the hotel might only be seeing 40. You'd be surprised at times how little the hotel is seeing, and how large a percentage of business the 3rd party sites are becoming for hotels, some nights we have only 2 or 3 guests who booked direct, everyone else is a 3rd party guest.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith11618 View Post
    Hotel parking fees are simply a way for the hotel to bring in more revenue. With more and more booking on 3rd party sites hotels (like airlines) are pressured into pricing their product at times below what they can make money on, so hotels, like airlines, have brought in more fees to increase revenue since many times the rooms are being sold below cost, at cost, or very small profit. Parking fees help bring in revenue and it would be silly not to charge for parking in an area where free parking is hard to come by.
    The hotels choose to sign on w/ these sites. Unless the Travelocity gnome is actually a member of the Mafia, I doubt anyone's twisting their arms. If the hotels lose too much money by signing on, they'll unlist themselves or raise their rack rates accordingly. Parking fees are nothing more than an underhanded way to pad the bill and you have admitted as much.
    Charter Member

• Former Cast Member

The hotels choose to sign on w/ these sites. Unless the Travelocity gnome is actually a member of the Mafia, I doubt anyone's twisting their arms. If the hotels lose too much money by signing on, they'll unlist themselves or raise their rack rates accordingly. Parking fees are nothing more than an underhanded way to pad the bill and you have admitted as much.
    Excuse me for saying so, but I think that is a naive view of the hotel industry. The hotels have to be on the discounting sites or risk not getting any bookings.

They might be losing money on the room booking and use other sources for revenue or the ROI might be all wrong, but it is better to be 70% full and only losing a little money, than to be at 25% capacity and bleeding losses through the eyes.

All the hoteliers can do is bite the bullet through the continuing slow economy and hope that prices will recover as demand starts to push the rates higher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast