Red Face Trying to use Priceline for June 13-18, what am I doing wrong?

I bid zone 5, 3.5* first. Started at $50, added Zone 6 which automatically upgraded the stars to 4*, went up to $55. Then added in Zone 1, up to $58, still no dice. This was my first time using PL. I know it's last minute, and the hotels are getting booked up quickly since it's the first week of Summer. Do any of you have any tips? I went to Bidding for travel, and read their Hotel FAQs. I still don't understand the concept of free re-bids and don't want to bid and end up in the boondocks, LOL. ~Can any of you help?
    Thanks!

• Banned User

Re: Trying to use Priceline for June 13-18, what am I doing wrong?

There might be conventions in town those days to keep in mind. When we went in January I tried to bid for 3 days straight with the normally low rates that we have always been able to get, $45-$60. I called one of the hotels and found out almost everything was sold out due to a large convention in town that week. We wound up paying like $78 or something and I still had to extend my area and we got a hotel all the way in Costa Mesa (my husband was not happy) a good $30 more than we normally had in the past.

So if you are stuck on those dates then I'd call a hotel to find out and you might just have to bid higher than you had anticipated.

DisneySuiteFreak, pm me and I can help you out with getting a room booked on PL for the best possible price.

• Just waking up

It is probably because you are going for thr 3.5* Hotels, My family and I just stayed at the Holiday Inn right next to the main parking lot for $40.00 a night, we used a 3* and it was the best Hotel we have stayed at using priceline around the Disneyland Resort we booked two rooms for a 5 day stay under $500.00 dollars.

Priceline rates are creeping up on the 4* hotels... 3.5 also in that area during higher times. 3* is the better choice for the deals.

Priceline and Hotwire Forum and biddingfortravel.com are good site to see the "going" rates for the hotels.

FYI: My only issue with the 3* hotels, is there's a stinker in Priceline at the 3* level (Clarion). And I'm afraid of getting it due to the horrible reviews on tripadvisor.

Red Lion directly is running a good deal with AAA cards, you get Breakfast and a $50 debit card on check in. I got it during the D23 Expo for $80/night, and can cancel.

(I might try Priceline again in a few weeks to see if anything opens up, but only for 3.5* and up).