• Banned User

Which Good Neighbor Hotel???

Okay, so we are planning a visit to the DLR in July and I'm not sure I want to do Priceline this time around (DH isn't too fond of not knowing which hotel we're getting) and have a few options but wanted to get opinions on some of my choices.

It would be nice to be within walking distance but then again we really don't mind driving to the Mickey & Friends Parking Structure if we have to - we consider it nostalgic and part of our trip so we can ride the tram.

I'm debating on Carousel Inn, Candy Cane Inn or Crowne Plaza? They all are around the same price if we book with a DL vacation package.

The new rooms at the Carousel Inn look beautiful on their website and they are RIGHT across the street but wanted opinions since we have not stayed here for over 7 years.

My DH wants Candy Cane Inn because of a good experience (also over 7 years ago) but their rooms look a little corny online to me and we would have to take their shuttle.

Crowne Plaza is nice and we stayed there last October but we would definitely have to drive, but they do offer lots of dining vouchers when you book via Disney and they're right across the street from Target and Red Robin.

Also wanted to know if you think booking via Disney to get some of those extra perks is worth it or book seperately to save about $150. (Perks include Mickey's Toontown Madness, extra or free dining vouchers for the hotels, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Which Good Neighbor Hotel???

Of those three the only one I have stayed in is the Candy Cane. The last time I stayed there was about two years ago. The rooms are a bit on the small side, but clean and comfortable. And really, you're not going to be in the room that much anyway. They do have a basic continental breakfast, but the breakfast room is small and if you want a good selection you need to get there early. You don't have to use the shuttle they have. Its a pretty easy walk to the park from the Candy Cane, no more than 10-15 minutes I think (I'm a slow walker), but its nice to have the shuttle at the end of the day when you're dog tired.

As for taking the perks of booking with Disney or saving the money... I'd take the money myself but it depends on if the perks are something that you find worth it and valuable.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have stayed at the Candy Cane Inn, and I really liked it there. I usually travel alone, so the room seems pretty large for me. I did like the fact that I always knew that I would have a ride back to the hotel at night. Their shuttle arrives on the hour, and the 1/2 hour all the way up to park closing time. The breakfast choices are nice enough to assure that you can arrive at Disneyland, with a full stomach. I always asked for the AAA discount when I stayed there, and I purchased my park tickets online, before I left home.

On my last vacation, I saved quite a bit of money staying at the Howard Johnson hotel. That hotel is about just as far to Disneyland, as the Candy Cane Inn, but in the opposite direction. I got a great rate, when I called, because I booked more than a 3 night stay. I would stay at the HoJo again. They offer many different discounts. AAA, AARP, and MiceChat has a rate as well. You just have to ask when you call. I used the ART bus quite a lot to travel to the park and back, but the walk is really not that bad, especially, if you stay on the hotel side, McDonald's side of Harbor Blvd, when you walk.

I always order my tickets online, and anything over three days will give you one Magic Morning.

• Embrace the kitsch!

I used to stay at the Carousel, but it's been a while and I haven't seen the new rooms. That said, they charge for parking, where the Candy Cane does not. Rooms at both places are comparable in size. The Cane has a very nice spread at breakfast: bagels w/ schmeer, toast, choice of cereals, milk, coffee, tea, and juice, all served poolside. Given the choice between those two, it's Candy Cane for me.

I've never stayed at the Crowne Plaza.

Personally, booking through Disney has never been worth the perks for me. I'm sure it's good for people who don't know the ropes and need things taken care of, but it doesn't seem like this is your first rodeo. I think Toontown Madness is just another character meet and greet. If you want coupons, go to the Orange County Tourism Board and they have plenty of them.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Banned User

Thanks guys! After doing some more calcs and checking different reviews I think I'm leaning on the Carousel Inn Hotel. If I book online for 3 or 4 nights I can get the concierge level room with 2 queen beds and quiznos subs and extra amenities at their promotional price of $127 a night! WOW! Plus you can't beat right across the street. I figure I can save about $150 if I order everything a la cart so we won't be using Disney Vacations after all.

The only thing is I'm not too sure about their pool - it's so tiny.

I think I might do some research for HoJo but last night when I tried to get rates it said my dates weren't available. I'll try again and let you know what I come up with.

• Banned User

Nope, just called HoJo again and my dates from 7/25-7/28 are not available. wow, can't believe they area completely booked already.

So I think we are going with Carousel, just have to make sure they are going to give my DH those days off and I'll be makin reservations.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Have fun on that vacation. I hope you get the deal that you want at the Carousel Inn. Some decisions are made for us, by process of elimination. It will be nice for you to be that close to the park entrance.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

And when you get back be sure and let us know what you thought of the Carousel!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Banned User

I will, pretty excited to go there again. That was the first hotel DH and I ever stayed at when we first visited the DL resort when we started dating over 10 years ago!

Hopefully he will get the days off that we wanted, we will be visiting during my son's 6th birthday on July 27. Even though we visit DL around twice a year now it's still exciting whenever we get to take a trip down there, kinda like it's our first time.

Thanks again.

We just had a really good experience staying at the Sheraton Anaheim Inn. That's the one behind Disneyland, not near Katella. We booked it for $111 a night with AAA and even though we couldn't walk, it is a really simple drive right into the Disney Parking (just a turn out of the hotel parking lot and a left turn into the entrance road) or the shuttle is fine. The rooms were big and the customer service was fabulous. Just another option for you. You do have to pay for parking though. I think it was $10 a night.

• Banned User

Ok, we've been back for over a week and I guess I should post my review of the Carousel Inn.

I'd give it a 4 out of 5 stars. Bottom line, it was a good hotel.

We've never stayed this close to the resort and walked back and fourth everyday except for our last night at the park.

I guess we had been a little spoiled and kind of prefer indoor/multi-floor hotels where you actually walk though indoor hallways and use elevators (we live in Vegas). Carousel is all outdoor and the main tower has I believe 4 or 5 floors but there are only 2 elevators there. We were in the Club rooms and they are only 2 floors with only stairs. This to me kinda makes it seem like the older model apartment buildings but they have very limited space and even less parking space.

Like I said, we had a Concierge Club Room in the back, with our own covered parking spaces. The rooms are very nice decor wise and the bathroom area is upgraded with nice shower heads and marble. The rooms were much smaller than I had thought though based on their website pictures - those pics are extremely well taken and it looks like your getting a huge room and its just a standard size hotel room. I had two favorite things about this hotel...microwave and fridge are standard and the beds, pillows and sheets were heaven!!!!! The air conditioning worked great and you can't beat free continental breakfast. They don't have eggs and pancakes but you do get drinks, donuts, cereals and a variety of toast, bagels and croissants. The 1 day we went to the breakfast it was satisfying until lunch time.

We had a few minor issues with the hotel but for the most part they weren't that bad or taken care of after we called the front desk.
    1. Our bathroom sink was draining very slow and pretty clogged but after a quick call, maintenance was up shortly and it wound up being taken care of by the time we got back from the park.
    2. The ice machine by the club rooms was not working the whole stay and since who knows when so my son had to go the main tower on the 2nd floor to get ice. (I didn't report this till our last day upon check-out).
    3. The cable was the worst, there were only about 22 channels and only 1 kid channel (Disney Channel) while most of the cable channels they did have were boring news stations. I think this bugged me the most...with 2 young children only having 1 interesting station for them really kinda sucked.
    4. Valet parking was a joke...you HAVE to pay $9 bucks a night plus tax to park but they advertise free valet parking. Ha ha ha...when we first arrived and went to check in they told me since we were in the Club rooms at the back of the property we could park ourselves...seriously??? That's why you are here to park my vehicle. Needless to say my husband didnt want to use their services for the rest of the trip so we never actually wound up using them.

I would stay at this hotel again, I would hope they would do something with the variety of cable channels but otherwise they were fine. They also have a program that saves you money after your 3rd visit with them. We normally use Priceline but my husband doesnt like not knowing which hotel you will get but you can normally get a hotel for half the price that we paid at Carousel.

I was a little bit peeved that upon checkout the lady in front of me was asked to fill out a quick survey and all I got was, "okay, you're all checked out".

Anyways, hope my super long review helped out anyone wanting to stay at this hotel.