Suggestions/Tips for Choosing a Hotel

Hi. My friend and I will be making our first trip ever to Disneyland next year. We plan to be in the area from 9/29/12 - 10/4/12. We were thinking of staying at the Quality Inns and Suites near the park or Ramada Inn Maingate. If we could get a good rate, we'd consider the Howard Johnson or Best Western PLUS Anaheim Inn. So that leads to our questions:

1) As far as the Quality Inns & Suites and Ramada Inn Maingate, are they considered good hotels for their price? Are the rooms clean? Are the beds comfortable? How is the staff?

2) I've read that you can get up to 50% off a room at the Howard Johnson near the park if you have the card from the Entertainment coupon book. Is this true and, if so, is there a way to find out what kind of price I could get on the days we'll be there if we don't currently have a book?

3) Outside of AAA and the 15% discount on HoJo that you can get through this site, are there any other discounts available for any of these four hotels.

4) Is there any particular time that it would be better to book to save some money (i.e., book sooner, wait until closer to the dates, etc)

5) Would it offer us better savings to book the hotel and Disneyland tickets through a Disneyland vacation package, or book each separately.

Sorry for the length of this post and thank you to anyone who can offer any help.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Re: Suggestions/Tips for Choosing a Hotel

I can address a couple of these.

1) The Quality Inn on Manchester is my go to motel when I'm there. Its an older motel, and the rooms are small and its close to the 5 freeway, but the staff is always wonderful and the prices are usually cheaper than anywhere else close to the park. Beds are comfortable enough and the rooms I've been in have always been clean. They have the standard breakfast stuff of cereal, fruit, toast and danish but also have do it yourself waffles and boiled eggs. Its a easy walk to the park, but I get ART passes for after I've been at the park all day. Quality Inn doesn't have an ART stop of their own, but HoJo's across the street does and you can use it. Just be aware that unless you are staying at HoJo's they won't sell you the ART tickets there so you have to get them ahead of time or at a kiosk at the park. Somewhere else in this forum in one of the Quality Inn reviews I posted some pictures of the rooms.

2) This is a link to info about the Entertainment book prices.

HojoAnaheim Innsider Boards • View topic - What is the Entertainment Card, and where can I get it?

Without the book prices vary depending on time of year, things going on in the resort area etc. I've seen HoJo rooms for anywhere from $80-109 a night using Kayak. Calling them direct (the HoJo in Anaheim not the main corporate line) can sometimes get you the best rate and the most up to date info.

3) This one I'm not sure of. Motels are always tossing out discounts, esp. in off seasons to get rooms filled. Using a aggregate site like Kayak will usually give you a baseline idea of what rooms are going for during any particular time frame. Priceline will also sometimes give you some great rates, but you lose the control of picking specifically where you want to say.

4) In my experience, room rates go up when its closer to when you want to be there. I don't know if that is a hard and fast rule, but I've seen prices lower 3-4 months out if I start looking that far ahead, and if I look for the same room closer to the time I've seen it go up. Others may have had different experiences or have more insight.

5) Since I'm an AP and have never had to book tickets and motel at the same time.... I can't offer any advice on this.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Embrace the kitsch!

Re: Suggestions/Tips for Choosing a Hotel

All four of those hotels are pretty well comparable in price and quality, though the Quality Inn is an old property, as was mentioned. They're none of them fancy, but they're adequate. Howard Johnson's can be noisy, since it backs up against the 5. Out of the four you mentioned, I recommend the BW Anaheim Inn. It's less than a block from the pedestrian entrance and comparable in price to the others. There's no breakfast served, however.

Try booking online. Most hotels have special online rates. The best online rate is usually an advance paid, nonrefundable rate, but you can also get AAA rates online.

Don't bother booking a package. You can just as easily get the tickets through AAA or even at the hotel desk for the same price as you would a travel agency.

Go to Mousesavers for more tips.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member