• Just waking up

Priceline during the holidays

Hello all, Using Priceline during the holidays is it harder to get a room at a good price or
    because of the holidays do they bump up the prices because of the time of year, my
    family and I will be traveling to Anaheim a week before Christmas and we always use
    Priceline a week before we leave, because of the short time span am I taking to much
    of a risk or is it business as usual.

• Under that tree again!

Re: Priceline during the holidays

Yes, even with priceline bidding, prices go up because demand goes up and less rooms are available overall.

You might want to bid sooner, so you have more chances at having a bid accepted.

Have you done this around DLR before? Have you done it since summer? Priceline redid the zones around the resort, I think late last Spring. Also if you weren't aware there is a site called www.bettebidding.com where users submit data to help other figure out what they are bidding on and how to win it.

Also if you are new to this at DLR and for anyone that wants to try. If you bid for the nice hotels you are likely aiming for the convention hotels like the Hilton Anaheim or Hyatt Regency for example. At the convention hotels, if you have a car you will also have to pay for parking. At $15 a day this can add a good percent to your costs over your bid amount.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Pretty much it narrows down to supply and demand. If the hotels are at a certain capacity then they won't offer as many rooms at a discount because they don't have to, they will already be at the quota they want for the month, quarter or season. I would look at reserving a room that is cancelable just as a back up. Sometimes depending on your dates, what is available, and the price you are targeting, you may have to spend several days bidding. Usually if you take a look at availability with hotels, then you can get a general idea of what hotel room you will more than likely win. Betterbidding.com is a great site and pretty informative. They will help you with a bidding strategy if you ask them and if you have firm dates, price range, and star level. Not as many people are reporting their winning bids as much as they used to. I've used Priceline many times and report my winning bid because it helps the site and those who use it as a reference. One other thing, pretty much the 3.5* hotels charge in the $12-15 range for parking or resort fees. So keep that in mind for your per night price.

• Just waking up

Thanks swampymarsh and 1Disneylandfan, yes I think I'll try to bid the first week in December I was going to bid on the 14th but because the of the holidays I feel like I'm taking to much of a risk, I always do a week before and always get set up with a good hotel but this time calls for smart thinking Christmas time around the resort I'm sure gets pretty busy and I always like a hotel close to Disneyland I guess that would be section 5 Anaheim north, Thank you.

Checking the big Priceline boards... seems like very few deals lately, many are only finding deals near SNA or Knotts. Only higher-end is the Crowne, but that has been in the $80 range rather than the $50 range before...

• Disney Fan 4 Life

We pricelined a 2 star hotel the first week of January for 25 dollars a night. True it was near Knotts, but it ended up only being a 8 minute drive to Disneyland parking and included a free continental breakfast. This type works for us as we have parking on our passes and don't mind driving.

FYI: I've been finding better deals through this site Last Minute Travel - Best Deals: Hotels, Packages, Flights, Activities... they have "secret hotels", but if you look at the pictures and description you can usually figure it out.

I've used it to get the Holiday Inn on S. Walnut (behind Mickey and Friends), which is a GREAT hotel, and walking distance to the parking tram stop (about 10 mins walk). Anyhow, I got it the first time two rooms at $51/ea. Just booked it for the Micechat 7th weekend for $61/night again. (I was getting zero hit with Priceline at $65 even).

Nice thing about Last Minute Travel, is they're customer service and cancellation policies. Yes you can make changes and cancel for a fee, unlike priceline/hotwire. Also when I've used them (3 times now), the hotel has waved the resort fees.... which sometimes I wonder if Resort fees are just a Priceline tax, as the only time I get hit with them is Priceline and Hotwire rates. (Only exception was Red Lion directly, but they did throw in the breakfast, so it sort of cancelled out).