Help me decide- hotels? Candy Cane, Desert Inn or HI Express?

Hi,
    Out of these 3 choices:

Candy Cane Inn ( we'd need a rollaway )
    Holiday Inn Express- Suite
    Desert Inn and Suites- Parlor Suite

Which would you choose? Candy Cane seems to get a lot of positive reviews, but I'm wondering if the room would be too cramped with a rollaway in it. Also, it is really close to the parks! And the free breakfast starts early.

Desert Inn is SUPER close, but gets some pretty bad reviews. How bad are the beds there? Is it clean?
    There are some scary reviews on TripAdvisor though. =/

Holiday Inn Express sounds pretty nice, but it is the farthest away. Reviews seem fairly positive.

We are 3 adults, one child. I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

• Mickey Ear Biter

Re: Help me decide- hotels? Candy Cane, Desert Inn or HI Express?

I have only stayed at one (Candy Cane INN for just a weekend getaway from the house) and I loved it. Very neat, clean, and comfortable with a nice pool.

I stayed in a standard room and I feel that even with a rollaway bed, you will most likely be fine. I recall the space being fairly generous.

Breakfast may start earlier, but my family and I like to sleep in and we did not miss out (in fact they were still stocking by the time we came)* They provide bagels and cream cheese from an old haunt my mom and I use to go to when I was a little girl (just as good as my nostaliga suggested too!). Sorry, but I cannot recall the name (if I heard it I would recognize it). There are also other items like cereal, coffee, and hot chocolate.

* When I say slept in (I mean somewhere around 10). As long as it's somewhat before noon, I think you will be fine.

They have indoor seating, but if the weather is nice, be sure to go outside for an al fresco, poolside breakfest. There is enough shade and light to create a comfortable setting.

The walking distance is within reason and they have frequent buses.

The prospect of the long tram wait at the end of the day...

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have only stayed at the Candy Cane Inn, and I liked it very much. The bus is especially nice after a long day in the parks. It's nice to know that you have a ride back to the hotel when it is dark, and you are tired.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• Mickey Ear Biter

I forgot: they also give trays so you can easily take food up to your room for breakfest in bed.We also went back during the middle of the day for a swim and it surprisingly was not crowded at all. Very relaxing...

WOW. Looking back and now at my enthusiam, I realize how much fun I had on the little trip. I gotta tell my mom that it was much appreciated!

The prospect of the long tram wait at the end of the day...

• Banned User

Hi, just wondering what is the reason you're only considering these three choices?

Candy Cane I think is in the $100's? You can get a room at the new sponsor, The Carousel Inn with the Micechatter rate and that starts at $89 bucks. They offer free continental breakfast, fridges and microwaves in every room and less than 5 minute walking distance to the parks.

The rooms are a bit small but you can upgrade to a bit of a bigger room for $109 and those rooms come with vouchers to Quiznos breakfast sandwhiches.

So it looks like we are mostly considering the Candy Cane, due to price. Candy Cane seems to be really popular online!

Does anyone know if the 2 queen deluxe room (308 sq. feet) would be too cramped with a rollaway in it?
    The premium was pricier, so we are hoping to be able to get away with the deluxe room.

Thanks for the help!

---------- Post added 01-26-2012 at 09:17 PM ----------

Also, I checked Carousel, and the lowest even with Micechat was $129.

What do you guys think of Hojo's?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

HoJo's is nice. I stayed there on my last Disneyland vacation. I really liked it. You can easily walk to the park, and if you purchase an ART pass, that will come in handy for late night trips back to the hotel. I got a great rate when I stayed there last January.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

• RCMC: Java Junkie

Depending on what is more important to you, I think they all offer something different. Holiday Inn Express would probably be nicer and roomier since it's a suite. Desert Inn & Suites is directly next to the crosswalk to get to the parks, but only a continental breakfast. Pretty much pastries, cereal, coffee & juice. I've stayed their twice and my last stay in May last year for Gumball Rally the beds were a bit on the hard side. You do also get a fridge & microwave in the room. I've never stayed at Candy Cane Inn so can't really comment on it, but the reviews Tripadvisor gives seem to be good. When I don't want to hassle with the parking at the M&F structure then I just stay across the street at the Desert Inn. If I want something nicer (Crowne Plaza, Hyatt) then I Priceline and get my room by bidding an amount I want but it'll put me on South Harbor in the Garden Grove area.